2018 SHO break in (250)

First new motor ever...have done many searches and cannot seem to find a consensus on how to best break in a new 250 SHO. Is there one way for the first 10 hours or so that you all do or should I just follow owners manual word for word? Only reason I am even asking is that a few friends who say they followed owners manual claim to have problems with seating the rings.

Thank you in advance.

2. Member
    I followed the book for the most part and didn't make oil after 10 hours.. Maybe a half hour less than the book recommends in the lower rpm ranges.

One thing I did that alot seem to not do is when I got to where i could open it up, I trimmed the motor up like normal. Seems alot of guys want to "load" the motor up by leaving it buried and lugging it like 2 strokes. If you do that you're just flooding the cylinders with fuel that cools the walls and you'll never seat the rings.
    Also, if you can't turn at least 6k with the prop that came on your boat, it's a good idea to get a pitch or 2 smaller that will. A used tempest from the sale boards is a good option. Wont handle terribly compared to the sho props, won't break the bank, and you can resell it once break-in is done.

3. Member
    Do your 10 hrs like the book after that you need to run some good wide open runs . And yes use your trim don’t dog it with the motor tucked it just floods the cylinders with fuel . Rpms 5500 to 6 I seen the motor ran than same temperature at 142 dg . Heat helps with seating the rings . So any where in that range will get it done . Some guys fight it and worry about breaking in there motors , don’t fight it . Just fuel her up and take her on a long journey like going on a Harley ride .

4. Member
    I am on my second SHO, both dealers told me to drive it hard from the beginning, and I did both "by the book". Both made oil. If I get another, I will do the first two hours as the manual says, and then, I would run it hard and on long runs. As you are in NW Ohio, I would assume the water is either frozen or in the low 40's, either makes it difficult to get the engine hot enough to set the rings. Be sure to use mid grade fuel and I would NOT USE any Yamaha ring free until break in is complete, after the first oil change, at 20 hours, use ring free in every tank of fuel. What hull do you have it on?

5. Member
    Thanks all.

Printman - sitting on a ZX250

6. Member
    Just run the crap out of it with long runs.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

7. Member
    Use the Yamaha Ring Free Plus in every fuel load. It is recommended right in the owners manual.

8. Member
    I would do what Mercury recommends if you want to follow a written procedure. BUT just remember your dealer is the one who will go to bat for you if you have a issue so talk to them first. When/if I go with a SHO I am going to run it just like all of my rebuilds and new vehicles. HARD and varying rpms and loads. I am going to prop it with a low pitch, run it to just under the limiter and trim to where I am at full throttle. This keeps the speed reasonable but still loads the engine without lugging it. IMHE if you want to do it the worst possible way follow Yamahas procedure. The only way it could be worse is to idle it for the first 10 hours! CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

9. Member
    Ya run ring free its RECOMMENDED it’s not MANDATORY. Did any of you guys ever stop to think just how much money outbroad company’s have lost in sales of two cycle oils sense 4 cycle s They had to come up with something to off set there lose .CEO s and investers hate to be losers . Do you run ring free in your car ,lawn mower , motor cycle ,four wheeler or even a PWC . That little bottle cost as much as a gallon of what two cycle oil cost . That’s ridiculous . Spread a little fear they will buy it . Two cycle oil in a two cycle engine is mandatory. Ring free in a 4 cycle engine that has 7 qtr of oil in it is not mandatory it’s recommended. It will not void your warranty if you don’t as it’s not Mandatory.

10. Member
    My dealer specifically said not to follow the easy break in procedure in manual because it would make oil. I somewhat followed the mercury procedure. I focused on half throttle holeshots and varying my rpm/speed in the cruising range. After 2 hours I made some top speed runs but only for short duration. My engine with around 30hrs has made no oil and has never smelled of gas. I'd just use the engine as you normally would avoiding full throttle for long durations for a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Coppermushroom View Post
    First new motor ever...have done many searches and cannot seem to find a consensus on how to best break in a new 250 SHO. Is there one way for the first 10 hours or so that you all do or should I just follow owners manual word for word? Only reason I am even asking is that a few friends who say they followed owners manual claim to have problems with seating the rings.

Thank you in advance.
    I just reached the 10 hours for my new SHO. I have an oil change sched in few weeks (documenting for warranty). If I was you, I would go by the book, break in procedure from Yamaha is in book. I understand people have opinions and experience, but are they willing to help you pay for the engine if something goes wrong and Yamaha will not cover under warranty because you chose to break it in by Merc standards, etc? I am a stickler to this, I suggest you follow Yamaha rules for break in, this way if something does go wrong, they will cover it. JMHO..

Jason Davis, MSgt, USAF, Retired

IF YOUR NOT GETTING HUNG UP, YOUR NOT FISHING WHERE THE FISH ARE!!"

2019 Falcon 195
    2019 Yamaha SHO 200 w 23P Fury
    Helix 9 DI (Bow)
    Helix 9 SI with Mega (Console)
    MK Ultrex 80lb
    NMEA 2k

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smallykiller View Post
    My dealer specifically said not to follow the easy break in procedure in manual because it would make oil. I somewhat followed the mercury procedure. I focused on half throttle holeshots and varying my rpm/speed in the cruising range. After 2 hours I made some top speed runs but only for short duration. My engine with around 30hrs has made no oil and has never smelled of gas. I'd just use the engine as you normally would avoiding full throttle for long durations for a few hours.
    Smart dealer.

As to the OP, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome. IE Yamahas break in process and not expecting the fuel to get diluted with gas because of ring not seated in the first hour of operation which is the most important time of a new engines life. CJ

13. Member
    From my understanding, a lot of these engines are ran to full rpm at the factory before they leave. If they can do it immediately after assembly, I'm sure normal use on the water is not harming the new engine. People worry about engine break in too much. I don't think I've ever read about engine failure associated with how engine was broken in.

14. Member
    I don't think I've ever read about engine failure associated with how engine was broken in.[/QUOTE]

This^^^^^. BUT I have seen a lot of them burn oil with a lot of blowby especially with a diesel because of too easy of a break in. CJ