4 stroke merc hook straight to battery or can I go through the breaker?

merc 250 four stroke sn 2b599734

just repowered. had 2 stroke Merc and I had main positive wire hooked to breaker to power everything off on the old motor..

the 4stroke is hooked straight to the battery now...

all works well except my start/off keypad on my ranger 520L is blinking when I turn the breaker to off/charge...

I like having all my power off... mechanic just thought it should go straight to battery.. which is fine

I can get it to quit but must key everything on then off and all good until I touch any buttons on key pad and it starts blinking again.

how is does everyone else do it? thanks

2. Member
    You can wire through the battery/jump switch without a problem. Mine came from Ranger that way. From the battery switch power then goes to the main breaker.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

Wiring through a switch is perfectly ok. The DTS clean power harness MUST be hooked direct though

4. Member
    ?
    Last edited by sg; 02-16-2019 at 10:11 PM.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 21xTriton05 View Post
    Wiring through a switch is perfectly ok. The DTS clean power harness MUST be hooked direct though
    +1

Clean Power Harness must be connected directly to the Engine Cranking Battery.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor