Minimum planing speed - table

Dear all,

having researched the internet for several hours I couldn’t find any sound estimation regarding the minimum planing speed (MPS) of a bass boat. I specify the MPS as the minimum speed, a bass boat needs to stay on plane.

The MPS clearly depends on several factors – like weight, hull type, propeller-design, etc. But I don’t want to generate an explicit formula, quite the opposite: I offer to put together a table reflecting your specific experiences with your boats and posting this table summarizing your answers!

In order to make your experiences comparable I propose the following setup of information:
    Boat type [manufacturer, model]:
    Boat length [feet]:
    Total weight (boat, engine, passangers, equitpment) [lbs]:
    Hull type [V-shape, Mod-V]:
    # of propeller blades [3; 4; 5]:
    Power-Trim used [yes/no]:
    Hydrofoil used [yes/no]:
    Minimum planning speed [mph]:

The background of my question is, that I’m currently in the process of buying my first bass boat. And living in Germany I’m faced with serious speed limits (10-12 mph). Getting a bass boat on plane is the most economic and hence most eco-friendly way of exercising this wonderful sport. With your help I will estimate better whether there is a chance that the MPS of a specific setup will be lower than speed limits, hence will help me making the decision of investing more time in boat setup.

Thanks in advance and I hope this table will support you also.

2. Banned
    I’ve never been in any bassboat that would run on plane at less then 15mph.

3. Banned
    Not sure of the speed but had a 17'charger with a 175 Yamaha, hydrofoil, and a Yamaha 5 blade prop that would stay up at a very slow speed.

No matter how slow you get the boat on plane if you can get that low your biggest problem is going to be getting it on plane that slow.

4. Member
    Thanks for your quick replies!

Knowing that low-speed is not on the top10-list of any bassboat fisherman, I wonder if people are experimenting with MPS and share with all of us!

Thanks in advance

5. Pat Goff
    I could keep my champ on plane at 17 mph which is about as good as it gets with a fiberglass hull.

My jet scooter doesn’t really plane it just goes forward. I can keep it going about ten mph. But that’s a whole different thing.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

6. Member
    You germans must live life at a different pace . I don’t know of anybody that sets up there bass boat to be the slowest planning boat . Find a big dia. Prop about 4 pitch sizes smaller than your best top end prop . It will jump up and stay on plane very slow .

7. Member
    Thanks for sharing your MPS of 17 mph! Yes, a fiberglass hull is much heavier than an aluminum one, so the required MPS must be higher...

Could you estimate the total weight of the whole setup?

P.S.: Champion boats generally look so awesome, I'd love to have one one day..

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skennedy View Post
    You germans must live life at a different pace . I don’t know of anybody that sets up there bass boat to be the slowest planning boat . Find a big dia. Prop about 4 pitch sizes smaller than your best top end prop . It will jump up and stay on plane very slow .
    Germany is exactly the opposite to USA with regard to speeding on highways and on the water: Highways (Autobahn) don't have any limits but on the water we have to be very patient. I'd love to have it the other way around, but this won't realize

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skennedy View Post
    . Find a big dia. Prop about 4 pitch sizes smaller than your best top end prop . It will jump up and stay on plane very slow .
    Thanks for prop recommendations! That will be very helpful!!!

10. Pat Goff
    You want to plane the slowest possible speed? Get a set of electric trim tabs, they'll do it better than any other modification.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

11. Member
    Thanks Pat for your recommendation, will do!

12. Member
    Don't get a pad boat get a V hull.

13. Member
    I have a 2000 Ranger VX 518 with a Merc 200 Optimax. Fishing weight is about 2300-2400 lbs. it will stay on plane at 23mph but not way up high like at a faster speed. This question was covered last year so I tried it next time I was out. That the info you are looking?