*HELP* This sad, frustrated, but excited gal inherited a 2002 Javelin 170 FS

I just inherited my dad's 2002 Javelin 170 FS. The boat has 2 holes in the rear - one is threaded (right) & the other (left) is not threaded. I have a plug for the obvious threaded drain hole. I need to know what the purpose is for the other hole. I can't find any schematics for the boat to indicate whether or not this is a secondary drain (if it is, then why is it not threaded).

Thanks for any help you can provide.

.20190202_150544.jpg

2. Member
    Live well drain. Just need a push in plug.

3. Member
    Or if you have a livewell valve system such as Flo-Rite you don’t need to worry about plugging the livewell drain.

I bet it is the overflow drain for your livewell. To test my theory you should have one of two ways plugging the livewell. Either you manually put a plug on the inside of the livewell or you have a selector switch near the drivers console to close the drain. If you have a selector switch then there is a cable that runs from your selector switch to a valve that will close the livewell. Either way close the livewell to hold water. You should have an overflow near the top of the livewell in a corner. Once water gets high enough to go over the overflow it should drain out of the hole on the left in the picture. Test my theory with a water hose in the driveway and see if water comes out the left hole.

The hole on the right is the drain but the plug looks like it is missing...that type drain hole has a plug that stays in the hull 24/7. When you unscrew the drain there will be a T on the drain plug that keeps the plug from falling out of the hole. When the plug is out it just hangs about 1-2" out of the hole. The drain plug hole is open for water to escape but the plug is never fully removed from the hull of the boat.

The hole with the screen is you livewell intake. This hole requires a screen over it. The purpose of the screen is to not let debris into your livewell. If the screen is removed and you fill the livewell it can suck leaves, twigs or tiny debris into the fill pump.
    Last edited by JR19; 02-16-2019 at 04:55 PM.

5. Member
    I live in Arlington, and have a 2000 r20 if ya need any help just give me a shout Perry

6. Member
    likely the live well overflow drain. valves hold the water in so no need to plug hole
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

7. Member
    Thank you!

Took some water jugs to the storage lot and now know the right hole is for the hull and the left one is the drain for the 2 live wells. The overflow drains for the live wells are on the sides of the hull and above water level. There were push plugs located in the overflow drains inside the wells and they fit the drains at the bottom. Didn't find a push plug that fit the hole in the picture, so hubby found a well nut that works.

Just need the weather to warm up a little more so we can take it for a test run.

Quote Originally Posted by Jest View Post
    Didn't find a push plug that fit the hole in the picture, so hubby found a well nut that works.
    If your talking about the hole on the left it does not get plugged. That is the overflow drain from the livewell. If you plug that hole and run fresh water into the livewell and get the water level too high you will flood your back deck because the excess livewell water will not be able to go out the overflow.

If you're looking for a plug for the hole on the right, which is the boat hull/bilge drain then I will post a link to one that looks very similar to yours. I found it by simply doing a google search of "screw in boat drain plug" . This is the type boat drain plug I talked about in reply #4. It stays in the boat 24/7. When you unscrew it there is a T that it hangs on and stays in the hull even when not screwed in. Here is a link but a google search will show you a few different types...https://www.boatstore.com/drain-plug...SABEgKlzvD_BwE

9. Member
    Hi JR19. Thanks for your help. The hole on the left is not the overflow, but the actual bottom drain from the 2 livewells. The overflows drain to the sides of the hull just below the rim of the boat. The hole on the right (we already have a threaded plug) is the drain for the hull. We actually took 5 one gallon jugs of water to test all the drains.

10. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Okay now I know where you livewell drain is..."typically" you keep water in your livewell one of two different ways. The most common is via a selector switch with a cable that controls a open/close valve. The other common way is via inserting a plug in the bottom of the livewell. You could plug the drain where it exits the transom and this is how I understand you are wanting to do so but if your going to manually use a plug most plug from the inside of the livewell.

11. Member
    Yes, so that's what we discovered. The drain plug in both live wells were actually inserted into the overflow drain and we just didn't notice it until today. No need for the well nut to plug the drain hole in the picture. We have not had a chance to take it out on the lake since inheriting it, and I'm sure we would have eventually noticed the problem. We were just doing a little walk around inspection and couldn't figure out what that second drain hole was for, especially since it was not threaded. Hubby just assumed the livewell drained into the the hull then out. Now we know that was a wrong assumption.

12. Member
    With emotions running high, our critical thinking was not at its best. It's definitely a "gift" I was not expecting to receive any time soon. Thank you all for your help!