What to do with “extra” battery?

I just replaced two trolling motor batteries because one of them would not take a charge. Since it’s my understanding that it’s best to have closely matched batteries in age and use I got two new ones. Of course the bad one went in for the core charge.

The other battery was still charging and seemed to function ok. It is an Optima Blue Top Group 27. The new batteries are Duracell AGM group 31.

Any suggestions of what to do with the Optima that still seems to be ok? I currently don’t have a stand-alone charger but thought about getting a budget-friendly one to keep the battery on and keep it as an emergency back up.

2. Banned
    When my TM batteries seem a bit weak, I'll put new ones in and there always seems to be a buddy around with an RV that wants the old ones for their trailer, and will pay 10-15 bux for 'um.

3. Member
    That or give it to somebody with a jon boat with only a trolling motor for power.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    27 Optima would make a respectable battery in a vehicle or piece of equipment like a tractor or bobcat
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Sell it on Craigslist.

6. Member
    trade it out for the old one on your backup battery operated sump pump in your house.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

7. Member
    Heavy marine batteries are usually worth more at the salvage yard (if they weigh em) than the $10 or $12 core charge I've noticed.

8. Banned
    I am interested to hear your impressions of the new batteries strength over the smaller ones.
    Don't sell yourself short, and metal scrap yard will pay you a suprising amount for the old batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by joebone1 View Post
    trade it out for the old one on your backup battery operated sump pump in your house.
    I have done this a few times also