Roof rack rod tubes

Going to be driving to florida this summer and want to take some fishing poles. We are driving a tahoe with 5 people so there wont be room inside for the poles. What have others purchased to use?

2. Member
    This might save you some money.

I'm going to build my own for future trips to Georgia. Strap it on top of the RX crossbars and go. The video above offers some great tips, but the FlexSeal is a bit of overkill. Krylon matte black paint for plastic will do fine for a 1/4 the price. I do like the locking end caps. CarID has quite a few mounting bracket and cross rail options for securing the tube. All I care about is keeping it secured while at highway speed. The tube would be removed at night when we stay at a hotel.
    Here's another article from Bass resource.
    https://www.bassresource.com/bass-fi...-tube-project/
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

4. Member
    I used to use a Plano rod carrier. Strapped it to the luggage carrier with some heavy cable ties. Worked pretty well.

Now, I have a garment rod across the clothes clothes hooks in the back of my suburban and a heavy duty bungee cord stretched across the clothes hangers at the back seat that I put my rods on now. Rods ride above heavy one’s head and they are inside the truck.

5. Banned
    May be cheaper to buy some decent size pvc, and just ship them to wear you are going. Ship them back when ready to head hom. Throw your reels in a bag.

I take 7' to 7'-9" rods every year in my 4Runner to the Big O. Most I have ever taken was 6 with reels on them. Could probably do eight if I remove the reels. Three on each side upper corners of the headliner just above the window line. Out of sight and the way and doesn't interfere with getting in and out. You don't see them unless you really look from the outside.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!