Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I have the 360 and would love to add the livescope along with it but can’t afford another $2,500 for the unit and ducer. My question on livescope is how it works on windy days when you have to nose into the wind. Seems like that would limit the use a ton because you have to be pointed in one direction to stay on a spot/line. Also with the ultrex you obviously can’t fish while on spot lock so one seems to limit the other. I haven’t seen anyone ask these questions so I may be missing something. For those reasons I’m glad I have the 360.

2. Member
    Great question, was wondering the same thing as I fish the great lakes a tonne for smallies, and use spot lock to hold when I find them. Seems live scope would be limited when on spot lock?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sbassin22 View Post
    I have the 360 and would love to add the livescope along with it but can’t afford another $2,500 for the unit and ducer. My question on livescope is how it works on windy days when you have to nose into the wind. Seems like that would limit the use a ton because you have to be pointed in one direction to stay on a spot/line. Also with the ultrex you obviously can’t fish while on spot lock so one seems to limit the other. I haven’t seen anyone ask these questions so I may be missing something. For those reasons I’m glad I have the 360.
    this is why many users mount Panoptix on a separate "stick"

4. Member
    Couldn't you use this, designed for 360, for the livescope on a spot lock motor?
    https://www.cornfieldcrappiegear.com...ng-motor-shaft

I could be wrong or not understanding things correctly....

Quote Originally Posted by ryanerb View Post
    Couldn't you use this, designed for 360, for the livescope on a spot lock motor?
    https://www.cornfieldcrappiegear.com...ng-motor-shaft

I could be wrong or not understanding things correctly....
    The Ultrex has Spotlock and a 360 Ultrex mount kit could be used for the Livescope and be in reach a lot better than that Cornfield Crappie mount. Just need a pole inside the shaft to attach the Livescope and a turning handle.

Another version:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...97B0&FORM=VIRE
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    Check this Ultrex Livescope mount out.
    https://www.facebook.com/27826127253...epa=SEARCH_BOX
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    2020 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    HB Solix
    HB M360
    Garmin LiveView
    MinnKota Ultrex

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by triton205 View Post
    Great question, was wondering the same thing as I fish the great lakes a tonne for smallies, and use spot lock to hold when I find them. Seems live scope would be limited when on spot lock?
    I t is that is why I have mine on a stick I can point. Today while pushing jigs foe crappies my LS was pointed at my most forward jig and that was about 30 degrees off of the the bow. I could rotate it to look at my other poles or under the boat at my fishing pardners jigs. You can't do that with a tm mount while trolling. Don
    Don Johnson
    U S Navy ATC Retired
    NE Florida
    Boat Name TRON
    Crestliner VT 18 DX
    Bow
    Helix 12 Chirp Mega DI+ G3N w/Mega 360 mounted of Fishing Specialties 360 Mount
    Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI G2N
    Garmin GPSMAP 1042 XSV w/LiveScope mounted on Fishing Specialties Bowducer Assy
    Mini Kota Ulterra
    Console
    Helix 12 Chirp Mega SI+ G3N
    Garmin GPSMap 922
    Humminbird PiranaMAX for high speed depth readings

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    The Ultrex has Spotlock and a 360 Ultrex mount kit could be used for the Livescope and be in reach a lot better than that Cornfield Crappie mount. Just need a pole inside the shaft to attach the Livescope and a turning handle.

Another version:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...97B0&FORM=VIRE
    That would work if the shaft would pass through that shaft and had a way to point the LS ducer. If you could reach it. I don't think I could reach that far forward at least not on my boat. My stick is right beside my seat so it is easy to turn.
    Don Johnson
    U S Navy ATC Retired
    NE Florida
    Boat Name TRON
    Crestliner VT 18 DX
    Bow
    Helix 12 Chirp Mega DI+ G3N w/Mega 360 mounted of Fishing Specialties 360 Mount
    Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI G2N
    Garmin GPSMAP 1042 XSV w/LiveScope mounted on Fishing Specialties Bowducer Assy
    Mini Kota Ulterra
    Console
    Helix 12 Chirp Mega SI+ G3N
    Garmin GPSMap 922
    Humminbird PiranaMAX for high speed depth readings

Eventually Garmin will come out with some kind of mount for trolling motors that will allow independent steering of the transducer. I however do not in my head, see a design that will work and be compact anywhere similar to a 360 set-up.So......I wonder, if in the future we will see Live scope transducers that are mounted at the bottom of the hull. Somewhere at the bow between the bow eye and the flat portion of the hull. Kind of in the keel guard area, maybe on one side of it or another? Now it will also have to be steerable from the top deck... So this is going to involve the boat manufacturers imo to make that work. Imagine a control whether manual or electronic that is somewhere on the right or left side of the trolling motor pedal that is connected to a transducer directly below it. (I need to stop day dreaming at work so much)... But with the advances in what we are seeing, I kind of see that transition as we just cant keep adding crap to the trolling motors or hanging stuff of the side of the deck like I see now with the LS.
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

Quote Originally Posted by D Johnson View Post
    That would work if the shaft would pass through that shaft and had a way to point the LS ducer. If you could reach it. I don't think I could reach that far forward at least not on my boat. My stick is right beside my seat so it is easy to turn.
    I went to Lowes to see what I could come up with for a Livescope pole. Could not find anything with a good fit inside the 360 shaft.
    Sooo messing with some schedule 40 PVC, the 1/2" slip fitting coupling is a good fit inside the bracket. I added a 1/2" to 3/4' slip fitting adapter to each end of the coupling using short pieces of 1/2' pipe. Put a 3/4" slip coupling on the bottom and a 3/4" 45 degree slip elbow on the top to sandwich the bracket and hold it in place. Just need to add whatever length 3/4" pipe to get the depth and a 3/4" length of pipe to get the reach to turn it. Not sophisticated but it works somewhat.

Last edited by Wayne P.; 02-05-2020 at 01:08 PM.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

11. Member
    I was out on the lake two weeks ago with a friend who has the LiveScope. I was very impressed with the clarity of the display and the ability to cast my bait out in front of the boat and actually see my bait and line going right down to my target! When there were fish present you can see them swimming around and if you can, you can then move your bait right in front of them and possibly get them to bite. The cons in my opinion were you having to keep moving the transducer in the direction you want to view and this would be the case whether mounting the transducer on the trolling motor shaft or some other independent shaft. It's not a huge problem I guess but it would take some getting used to. With my 360 you also have to adjust to the boat moving causing the target to move when making your next cast as well. From using both I think there is a slight advantage with the 360 over the LiveScope for being able to scan around and find new targets but once you find a target I think the advantage goes to the LiveScope. Both the 360 and LiveScope are a big advantage to catching fish and my 360 has definitely done that for me! Of course the best of both worlds would be to have both which I hope to do at some point or I may just drop my Birds at the front of the boat and get Garmin just for the cost it will take me to upgrade both my Helix and 360 over the cost of a 9 inch graph, black box and transducer for LiveScope which is over $1000. Just my observation on my part.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

12. Member

13. Member
    What would be the next step in my mind for Livescope is have it set up like spot lock point Livescope at a target hit a switch and it would stay pointed on that spot no matter how the boat moved.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP. View Post
    What would be the next step in my mind for Livescope is have it set up like spot lock point Livescope at a target hit a switch and it would stay pointed on that spot no matter how the boat moved.
    Will soon be coming, give me a couple of weeks :)

15. Member
    Was hoping the new Garmin Tmotor would have that option built all into one unit.
    My thought is a 3 shaft unit with the middle(transducer) and inner(motor) shafts with independent control.
    Maybe in the future.

Until something else is available, this was my solution.
    Minn Kota unit(no motor,shaft only) on the starboard side is using an autopilot compass to keep target in LS view as the Tmotor at the bow maintains spotlock boat position.
    Zoom at end is a crappie that hit a suspended bait when the spotlock setting moved the bait and boat slightly to the port to hold position.

With a hands free operation I could cast a jig to the tree and watch the bait and the fishes reaction, as I worked the bait back to the boat.

16. Member
    Some great ideas.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Was hoping the new Garmin Tmotor would have that option built all into one unit.
    My thought is a 3 shaft unit with the middle(transducer) and inner(motor) shafts with independent control.
    Maybe in the future.

Until something else is available, this was my solution.
    Minn Kota unit(no motor,shaft only) on the starboard side is using an autopilot compass to keep target in LS view as the Tmotor at the bow maintains spotlock boat position.
    Zoom at end is a crappie that hit a suspended bait when the spotlock setting moved the bait and boat slightly to the port to hold position.

With a hands free operation I could cast a jig to the tree and watch the bait and the fishes reaction, as I worked the bait back to the boat.

This is outstanding!!!!

18. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Any recent rumblings from Humminbird at the boat shows about having a LifeScope type capability that would work with the Solix or Helix? For my fishing, the LiveScope type of display would be more useful than Mega360 but I really don't want to have to buy a Garmin head unit just to get LiveScope.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pfisher View Post
    Some of you folks don't understand what the 360 does. I was fishing creek channel edges last week in 10-13 feet of water and the 360 was much better than the LS for me. I could spotlock on a bend and make casts to every target on the 360 screen.

LS is a lot of fun but it would be the first thing to go in my boat if I had to make a choice. It's not a choice I have to make right now though :-)
    X2

20. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    As a livescope user it’s the best thing to ever happen in the sonar world,now with that said Iam going to add mega 360 as a all around look system.I still don’t know why guys want side scan on the trolling motor as it does not work as you have to be moving.The 360 MEGA will be the answer to that problem and add a great view (now you can actually see real detail)on all sides as you fish brush or moving fish with the scope .I think it’s the best of both systems to help find and catch.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast