Bulletproof motors

Currently have a 98 Evinrude Intruder 115 on my first boat, a 98 Javelin 379b. I've been told I need to upgrade the motor even though I'm perfectly fine with my little 115 at 50 mph all day long.

My question is, let's say I do decide to go up to a 150. What are some of the most bulletproof, proven motors from the last 20 years? I don't really care about brand, only reliability. I can't really find any unbiased info.

2. Member
    I went evinrude 4 years ago and will never buy anything but.

3. Member
    I am happy with the 115 I have when it's running., but I also know it can be tricky depending on years and models on stuff. It's also hard in my area to find anybody who works on OMC stuff.

4. Member
    Riverside Marine in Old Hickory is an OMC/BRP dealer and sold me my 2004 Johnson 150 and my repower to an a Evinrude G2 150 HO. I’d trust Steve and his crew with anything OMC. If he still has my 150 Johnson I traded him it would be a steal on a bulletproof motor.

5. Member
    Yes, I've had Riverside work on some things with my boat. But I'd like to have more than 1 option when it comes to repair. I've heard the Johnsons were good motors, but are they even being made anymore?

6. Member
    Those intruders are a very reliable motor. My 175 is 26 years old and still running strong

7. Member
    Why change if you are fine with it? Stick what a payment would cost you in a separate bank account and then if your motor goes down upgrade. I wouldn’t upgrade if you are fine with it.
    Praying for a Cure

8. Member
    The Yamaha 2.6L carb motors are very reliable. I have one. Reliability is main thing for me as well. More important than speed.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gollygee View Post
    Currently have a 98 Evinrude Intruder 115 on my first boat, a 98 Javelin 379b. I've been told I need to upgrade the motor even though I'm perfectly fine with my little 115 at 50 mph all day long.

My question is, let's say I do decide to go up to a 150. What are some of the most bulletproof, proven motors from the last 20 years? I don't really care about brand, only reliability. I can't really find any unbiased info.
    Stay with the old rude that you have. Keep the carbs clean. Other than that the old EFI mercs were about bullet proof as you can get. Best motor merc ever made