Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Yes since I don't bother with the Enhance menu anyway.
    When checking the depth issue, I used the default Sensitivity setting with dual beam for 2D sonar from about 40' to 1.5'.
    The only other 2D setting I changed was the color.
    Well of course I turned FishID on too.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

2. Member
    Thanks Wayne. I also never mess with the actual enhance menu, except for with 360. I usually pull it up for that only.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

3. Member
    Why can the Chirp settings be changed before 1.84 I had Low, Medium, and High Chirp in my Helix 7 DI G2. Now only High Chirp.

4. Member
    Do you have all those units on 1 boat Wayne? If so, can I see what your boat looks like. I'm imagining a CCTV security control room. Lol!

5. Member
    I wish Humminbird would hire me as Software Quality Assurance Mgr. None of this crap would be released to the public before being thoroughly reviewed and tested by me and my staff in the lab and on the lake. With HBs history, I'd likely be sending 95% of it back for reprogramming

Quote Originally Posted by gabepeeps View Post
    Do you have all those units on 1 boat Wayne? If so, can I see what your boat looks like. I'm imagining a CCTV security control room. Lol!
    No, the most I have had installed at one time is 6. Typically two to four.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

It takes a Top Secret code to enter Wayne's Security Room.....I am glad I have that code..

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

8. Member
    Starting to see a pattern.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrownTrout View Post
    I wish Humminbird would hire me as Software Quality Assurance Mgr. None of this crap would be released to the public before being thoroughly reviewed and tested by me and my staff in the lab and on the lake. With HBs history, I'd likely be sending 95% of it back for reprogramming
    You are on the quality assurance team, we all are..... Unfortunately it is the post production quality assurance team. It's a simple process of following a use case test plan. With a documented test plan anyone can detect and document function errors. Basic programming 101.

10. Member
    Stupid question maybe, as a new humminbird user. Just grabbed a Helix g2n 12 and 10, si an di. Software shows the 1.6 version. Perhaps I am missing the point of these updates but isn't the objective to bring us something new along with fix problems. Been reading a lot of posts here, just seems these updates are to fix problems, and not very well at that? Is there any reason I should even update my unit based on these sharings?

11. Member
    If your units are working fine, I would not update until I see confirmation here that there is a "good" update available.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by triton205 View Post
    Stupid question maybe, as a new humminbird user. Just grabbed a Helix g2n 12 and 10, si an di. Software shows the 1.6 version. Perhaps I am missing the point of these updates but isn't the objective to bring us something new along with fix problems. Been reading a lot of posts here, just seems these updates are to fix problems, and not very well at that? Is there any reason I should even update my unit based on these sharings?
    If they are working fine and you're not having problems........if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

13. Member
    I don’t quite understand how something that has worked for so long suddenly doesn’t work with a update that was intended to fix other unrelated issues. How can they do such a poor job on the software in these units. How can we have a - sensitivity. It just can go on and on.

Ever since i switched over to bird with helix gen1s now I have gen 2 Megas I have not once had units that just worked which equates to 6 units total
    Nitro z21

14. Member
    I don't think HB will ever have updates that WORK!

15. Member
    Ok, I was able to try out update 1.90 today.

The good:
    Depth readings were rock solid all day!! Worked as it should.

Sensitivity range for 360 was as it should be ... adjustable from 1-20.

The bad:
    On my helix mega 10si unit, marking a waypoint by using the arrow keys (to stop the screen and scroll) was not working on imaging screens. The arrow keys would move the cursor around on the chart screen just fine though. Sometimes the cursor would appear for a split second then disappear. The info/navigation boxes would show numbers and look like it was providing the info from where the cursor was moving to.... but no cursor. If I restarted unit, the cursor would show up on the 2d sonar view sometimes and also on imaging screens at first, but the not show up next time.... I also tried resetting defaults and sometimes the unit would just beep or double beep at me when I pressed any of the arrow keys. I didn't have the sounds on at first, but after resetting defaults I noticed that part.

Coming from software 1.61..... I noticed I now have to use higher sensitivity settings for imaging. Several times on softer bottom areas I had it maxed out. I even turned on imaging switchfire max and max di and ran it that way most of the day. A lot different than I was used to, but the updates above 1.61 may have had the transducer power lowered like this already... not sure. I could usually get the images I was used to, just had to play with and increase sensitivity and contrast more than usual. A few times I did feel like the image was not as sharp, but might have been other factors.

I did not have any issues with "enhance" menu adjusting sensitivity and contrast, seemed to work ok the few times I used bot sensitivity and contrast at the same time.

If I can't figure out the cursor problem, I will probably go back to 1.61. My bow unit, helix mega 12si did not seem to have the cursor problem the times I tried it, but I tried many more times on the console unit. That's all I can think of at the moment.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

16. Member
    Your sensitivity issue as stated was how I felt with the last update. To me it seemed lacking in sensitivity from the past and images just where not as sharp and clear especially at distance. I noticed this greatly with 360

I’ll still do the updates as having working 2d and 360 are critical. Though it sounds like humminbird has zero idea what they are doing. Makes my future choices clear going forward.

I’ll add some times doing updates I had to reset the unit multiple times for it to work as good as it can get from humminbird. For example last time I was missing multiple views I think I reset the unit about 3x times before I had certain pages back and was able to pick up imaging returns
    Nitro z21

Quote Originally Posted by akaslyguy View Post
    Ok, I was able to try out update 1.90 today.

The good:
    Depth readings were rock solid all day!! Worked as it should.

Sensitivity range for 360 was as it should be ... adjustable from 1-20.

The bad:
    On my helix mega 10si unit, marking a waypoint by using the arrow keys (to stop the screen and scroll) was not working on imaging screens. The arrow keys would move the cursor around on the chart screen just fine though. Sometimes the cursor would appear for a split second then disappear. The info/navigation boxes would show numbers and look like it was providing the info from where the cursor was moving to.... but no cursor. If I restarted unit, the cursor would show up on the 2d sonar view sometimes and also on imaging screens at first, but the not show up next time.... I also tried resetting defaults and sometimes the unit would just beep or double beep at me when I pressed any of the arrow keys. I didn't have the sounds on at first, but after resetting defaults I noticed that part.

Coming from software 1.61..... I noticed I now have to use higher sensitivity settings for imaging. Several times on softer bottom areas I had it maxed out. I even turned on imaging switchfire max and max di and ran it that way most of the day. A lot different than I was used to, but the updates above 1.61 may have had the transducer power lowered like this already... not sure. I could usually get the images I was used to, just had to play with and increase sensitivity and contrast more than usual. A few times I did feel like the image was not as sharp, but might have been other factors.

I did not have any issues with "enhance" menu adjusting sensitivity and contrast, seemed to work ok the few times I used bot sensitivity and contrast at the same time.

If I can't figure out the cursor problem, I will probably go back to 1.61. My bow unit, helix mega 12si did not seem to have the cursor problem the times I tried it, but I tried many more times on the console unit. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Neither of the units I installed 1.900 in have the curser issue. Did not notice any Sensitivity issues either.

Looks like variable glitches with variable unit models.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Neither of the units I installed 1.900 in have the curser issue. Did not notice any Sensitivity issues either.

Looks like variable glitches with variable unit models.

You think humminbird just needs to stop offering so many units? Maybe just offer basic gps/2d models then the SI models or just the SI but with or without transducers like lowrance? I mean obviously they are having issues keeping up with their own products.
    Nitro z21

19. Member
    I'll try reinstalling later and try it again next trip. But I will say.... I could just never seem to get my 2d sonar to look good. Got tired of tweaking with it and fished. Autochart worked like a dream though with such good depth readings. Spent most of my cold morning mapping areas.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

Quote Originally Posted by akaslyguy View Post
    I'll try reinstalling later and try it again next trip. But I will say.... I could just never seem to get my 2d sonar to look good. Got tired of tweaking with it and fished. Autochart worked like a dream though with such good depth readings. Spent most of my cold morning mapping areas.
    While I was waiting for the ramp to clear, I moved around some to see where the fish were. I did not take any fishing equipment with me, just went to the lake to test the software. Default Sensitivity, pallet 1, White Line Bottom setting:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast