Considering switch to Garmin

I am currently using a pair of older Humminbird 997c side imaging units that work OK but not great. I have them setup/installed correctly but the side imaging resolution just isn't that great. I have considered adding a 93sv plus to the bow to eventually use for livescope/panoptix but if these units will have better DI and SI than my old birds than I may as well just buy two and replace both my birds.

For the unit at the console, can I run a thru hull transducer and a transom transducer and connect them with a Y cable to get on plane depth readings? Does anyone with experience with Humminbird 997 or similar units have an unbiased opinion on if switching to two 93sv plus units would be a wise choice?

2. Member
    I cannot answer your question but a move to any of the Garmin Panoptix transducers will be a upgrade.
    Im running a couple of their first and 2nd panoptix units and would not be without them now.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter 1 View Post
    I cannot answer your question but a move to any of the Garmin Panoptix transducers will be a upgrade.
    Im running a couple of their first and 2nd panoptix units and would not be without them now.
    Thanks for your input! I would run the 93sv plus units without panoptix for a year or so until I upgraded the bow to Panoptix.

I have read that a certain transom mount transducer can be used with a Y cable and thru hull xducer but that it may not be the best xducer for the 93sv plus.

4. Member
    The only thing with the thru hull transducer is that it will not be Chirp. To answer your question yes you can use the y cable and a thru hull transducer.

5. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Why would a thru hull ducer not be chirp? Both the GT8 and GT15 are chirp transducers.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappielimits View Post
    The only thing with the thru hull transducer is that it will not be Chirp. To answer your question yes you can use the y cable and a thru hull transducer.
    Ok, thanks for your input. My main concern would be the ability to use both a thru hull and transom mount xducer.

7. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    What ducer are you refering to as transom mount??? Do you mean using 2d as shoot thru and a imaging only ducer on transom???

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    What ducer are you refering to as transom mount??? Do you mean using 2d as shoot thru and a imaging only ducer on transom???
    Yes. Will a Echomap Plus 93SV support two transducers. One thru hull (for 2d and high speed depth readings) and one on the transom, connected with a Y Cable.

9. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Yes, it will.....there are two combos right now you can buy, its the GT8/GT30 or GT15/GT30 and both come with the Y cable. Also, if you were to buy the UHD system, then all you would need is the 2d ducer, GT8 or GT15.

GT8/GT30 combo: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/614252

GT15/GT30 combo: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/614254

UHD system: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/618945