Thread: Octane-SHO

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    That's too bad he was a great source of Yamaha tech
    He was the only Yamaha tech that I know was on this board. Please no one take this personal but since Jethro left, most of the info on this board I take as opinion. Its appreciated though.

2. Member
    yam911 seems to know his stuff.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    He was the only Yamaha tech that I know was on this board. Please no one take this personal but since Jethro left, most of the info on this board I take as opinion. Its appreciated though.
    I know of at least 3 others, I believe Brian moore, Hydro tec crew, and 1 other that I cannot recall his name right now. [I have part timers] But suffice to say there is a lot of knowledge on here. BUT When some of the arm chair mechanics start tearing them apart it is not a good thing to do and we all loose when that happens. CJ

Tablerockslinger just remembered.
    Last edited by CJ1; 03-11-2019 at 09:43 AM.
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

4. Member
    I hope that i a not in the arm chair category. I have simply quoted what I have been told by the Yamaha techs and experienced on the lake. I also tried running 87 ethanol free again this weekend only because of this thread. Same results......I was running 82-83 with the the 89 10% ethanol/Yamaha Ring Free blend and dropped to 79-80.5 with the 87 ethanol free. Temps were a little warmer so that could add a little in to the equation but not the amount of performance drop that I saw. I would love to find 89 ethanol free gas but until I do I with continue to stay with the recommended octane for my SHO even if it contains ethanol. Yamaha Ring Free Plus is always added to each fill up. Cheers gentlemen and hope all our engine give us expected service life. Tight lines!
    Elwood....Bass Cat Strong

2020 Bass Cat Eyra
    2020 Mercury 300R 4S (1E081080)
    Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
    I hope that i a not in the arm chair category. I have simply quoted what I have been told by the Yamaha techs and experienced on the lake. I also tried running 87 ethanol free again this weekend only because of this thread. Same results......I was running 82-83 with the the 89 10% ethanol/Yamaha Ring Free blend and dropped to 79-80.5 with the 87 ethanol free. Temps were a little warmer so that could add a little in to the equation but not the amount of performance drop that I saw. I would love to find 89 ethanol free gas but until I do I with continue to stay with the recommended octane for my SHO even if it contains ethanol. Yamaha Ring Free Plus is always added to each fill up. Cheers gentlemen and hope all our engine give us expected service life. Tight lines!
    No, experience is not arm chair, and it makes perfect sense. As you drop in octane the ECU pulls timing so it does not detonate. Find some ethonal free premium. That would be my choice. If you don't let the 10percent fuel sit for very long you should not have a issue unless it draws moisture. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

6. Member
    I am very fortunate to have several local sources in my area of ethanol free, all grades. Mine gets a steady diet of 89 ethanol free with ring free added.

7. Member
    As stated before in other posts, I have only run ethanol free gasoline about a half a dozen times since 1989. Could not find it where I lived in Ohio or Texas. I have never had a problem in running ethanol gasoline. I always without fail add the appropriate amount of ring free and marine stabile in my boat gas. I live in the Houston metro area and the H in Houston stands for hot and humid. I have never seen any water at all in the in line blue water filter I change annually. Run the additives and the correct octane recommended by the manufacturer and you should not have any problems.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123