Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sam’s 31 series Duracell AGM, who’s running it as a cranking battery

I got them as my trolling motor batteries and love them, thinking about replacing my 31 series optima that is crapping out on me with one of the Sams Duracell’s. My blue top has never failed me, but is starting to turn my 225 pro xs over a little slow. I have a 2015 225 pro xs and 2 lowrance 12 inch graphs and then my livewells. I fish a lot and fish a lot of tournaments. Just looking for some feed back on this battery as a cranking battery cause it barely meets the minimum requirements for my outboard. Thanks fellas

2. Member
    It's the only battery I've had that will run, 3 graphs,and livewells all day without getting weak by the end of a day, if I don't run much.

3. Member
    I have 4 of them in my Basscat Puma/250 SHO.
    3 for the 36v Minn Kota Fortrex
    1 starts the Yamaha, runs 2 - 9" Lowrance Gen 3 graphs and livewells, etc.
    I'm happy with them.

4. Member
    I am running (3) 31 series on my 2003 Skeeter ZX225. I am pleased with how they are performing. I have (2) graphs and my trolling motor is a 24v/80lb Fortrex.

5. Member
    I put newer and bigger graphs on my boat last winter and found out quickly that I needed to upgrade the battery that runs them and cranks the motor. I got the Sam’ Duracell and didn’t have a problem after that. I couldn’t stop reading the voltage to be sure but it barely budged even without running much all day.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

6. Member
    Thanks for the input fellas, plus the price isn’t bad either!

7. Member
    Let me throw this back at you. What has your experience been with them on your TM?
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

8. Member
    I’ve had them for almost a year, and they’ve been great.

9. Member
    I'm a cheapskate. I bought one three or more years ago. I'd do it again

10. Banned
    The barely meets min cranks on the ProXS is what holds me back too, not sure why merc has to have such huge batteries.

11. Member
    3 yrs no problems w/ the 4 I have

12. Member
    I bought for trolling motor have a interstate agm for cranking, but when interstate fails sams battery going in
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

Compression release cranking would be nice on those big motors that is if they don't already have some kind of compression release on startup.
    2015 Ranger RT188 (white) * 2015 Etec 115 * Minn Kota Fortrex #80 * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N @ Helix 12 G4N on bow * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N at console * M360-MEGA Live
    Blue Water LED Red Deck Lights, LED White Light in Rod Box & Trailer Backup Lights * V-T2 Live Well Vents * Lew's Rod and Reels. Cool Foot pad on t/ motor .

14. Member
    I’m in the same boat. I am shopping batteries. Got one interstate tm battery that is gassing and I don’t trust my optima anymore. Regular day of fishing I’m fine in a tournament I’m using my jumper switch to crank over by mid day. I am going to go with the exide megacycle for a cranking battery. Not sure yet on tm batteries.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ksubasser24 View Post
    I’m in the same boat. I am shopping batteries. Got one interstate tm battery that is gassing and I don’t trust my optima anymore. Regular day of fishing I’m fine in a tournament I’m using my jumper switch to crank over by mid day. I am going to go with the exide megacycle for a cranking battery. Not sure yet on tm batteries.
    I currently have the biggest exide, if that’s the one you’re talking about. It’s 3 years old and still cranking fine, about the only good exide I’ve had. It is a heavy beast though, not fun putting it in the boat!

16. Member
    That’s the one. Never looked at the Duracell’s and may go that way due to price and what I’m hearing on here. My dad has all exide in his boat. His batteries were put in on 2008 and still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by ksubasser24 View Post
    How old is the Optima and is it a D31M?
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

18. Member
    The optima is almost three years old. As mentioned above the only thing that’s holding me back is my pro xs’s cranking requirements. The last year it always cranks slow on the first start of the day and then it’s fine.

19. Member
    I recently re-powered my boat with a 200 Opti ProXS. I had an Evinrude 200 HO. My starting battery was an Interstate group 27 HD. It did a fine job of starting my Evinrude and running everything in the boat, After installing the Mercury the battery struggled to start this motor on cold mornings. I would get a low voltage alarm. The Interstate battery was less than 2 years old. I decided to replace it. I ended up getting a group 31 commercial battery from Pep Boys. That battery seems to be able to crank the Merc just fine. Got the battery on sale for under $100.00. I was going to buy that $400.00 battery at Batteries + bulbs but decided to try this one. Time will tell.

20. Member
    Does anyone have this battery in a boat equipped with a 225 or 250 pro xs as a starting battery? I’m trying to figure out if this battery will work for me.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast