How to add GPS speed to Mercmonitor?

My boat has a Mercmonitor kit 79-8m0135536 installed, but no sensor for speed. The gauge is wired directly to the engine via CAN with no junction boxes. Are any good GPS antennas available to work with it? I don't want to add an additional screen and it doesn't have a GPS right now. There's nothing connected to the NMEA cable. The engine is a 2008 250 ProXS. 1B690561 Thanks!

2. Member
    You don't have any graphs on this Bass Boat?

3. Member
    I have a bass boat but this isn't on my bass boat. Is that against the rules here?

4. Member
    No, I don't have a bass boat either (see sig pic).
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

I think it would be easier and more useful to install a graph with GPS and mapping than to get GPS hooked up to the MercMonitor. Not sure what good GPS is if you can't navigate the lake for hazards, etc.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    I think it would be easier and more useful to install a graph with GPS and mapping than to get GPS hooked up to the MercMonitor. Not sure what good GPS is if you can't navigate the lake for hazards, etc.
    Agree.

7. Member
    The Mercmonitor has a bunch of features that don't work without speed info enabled. Looks like Lowrance makes a few NMEA 2000 based GPS antennas that look promising - but I didn't want to buy one without getting confirmation. I'm going to check with them directly. No screens for this boat.

8. Member
    Get a Lowrance Point 1 antenna.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Get a Lowrance Point 1 antenna.
    This is what I would do mainly because I know it would work and I am familiar with it. You will also need a basic NMEA network...2 terminating resistors, a T for the Mercmonitor, another for the Point1 plus however many drop chords you need to span the distance to all the items. The Mercmonitor will power the network so no need for running wires or installing a switch.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

10. Member
    Yep do that.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That will work. Just be careful to use a reasonably high-grade NMEA-2000 based GPS antenna. Mercury offers the components to do this, but what you have proposed will work just as well.

One note: Please take a moment to review the Announcements, and do not post copies of Copyrighted Material (especially those marked "Draft Copy" which were not meant for publication).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor