Thread: Holeshot foils

Holeshot foils

Does anyone use a foil that attaches to the lower unit cavitation plate? If so what are the pros and cons of using one. 2004 Tr 21X, 250 HPDI.

2. Member
    I added one to my 03 250 hpdi. Havent gotten to test yet...because of the river being frozen. Biggest gains are holeshot, and lower speed planing. (Helps cut down porpising at lower speeds.) Im eager to test mine. Best out there is a chris bailey hydrofoil.

Thanks

4. Member
    I never thought a foil was necessary on a Triton.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    I never thought a foil was necessary on a Triton.
    That's because most people blow through the speeds where they help. With 3 heavy people, an occasional full livewell, and running 25-35 MPH, a 196 will porpoise. Prop selection and motor height correct a lot, but not all, of it. I am thinking hard about adding a foil for that condition. Other than that, none is necessary on mine. A foil would have been cheaper than prop experimentation, but that is fun.

6. Member
    I had 2 goals adding mine. Holeshot and low speed planing. My holeshot is good with my 27p t1. Add full livewells, gas, and tourney load, and its slower. But my main point is to have the same hole shot with my 28p t1 as my 27 with the added top end speed. Now as far as porpising, i gotta be about 33mph before i plane out. I have kids that like to toob, and that is already to fast to safely pull a 10yr old. So if i can get it down to 20mph, and safely pull the kids around a couple days a year, i feel better about it. Is it needed...no. Does it help...yes.

7. Member

USA

I have one on a 200hp Honda TR- 196 DC It helps hole shot, running at slow speed, and porpoising. I painted it the same color as the motor, and you sort of forget about it. Only had to drill some holes in the cavitation plate. I have SE300 from around 2006.
    Last edited by ROADRUNNER; 02-17-2019 at 01:03 PM. Reason: forgot something

I’ve been waiting for the comments saying you don’t need one, they are no good, set your boat up right, blah blah blah. Fact is a good foil does exactly what you want from your bass boat with only positive results. I used several on different boats and the best IMO is the SE300 Sport. Most bass boats are simply designed to go fast and be stable to fish out of so you can excuse them from average holeshot and poor slow running.

That SE300 will give you better holeshot, planing at slower speeds, less porpoising and slower rear end drop on deceleration. You can also change the plugs on your prop to allow less cavitation st lower revs.

You won’t lose any top speed or handling and in fact it may feel a little more stable at speed.
    So yes, a perfectly set up bass boat may not need it if the boat is used as intended, but they certainly help if you just don’t want to drive light and fast all of the time.
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8