Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Praying Herniated Discs x 2 - Impact on fishing Tourneys?

Just had A MRI done.....I have 2 herniated discs- one worse than the other. They recommend an epidural in the next week or so to help with pain and to help the discs get better. My back is pretty much pain free but the pain down the leg is constant and my hamstrings are super tight at night time most days.
    My back was a mess three weeks ago-but better now. Been going to physical therapy for 6 weeks and not much change in sciatic type pain relief.

Who has had a herniated disc or two and what helped you the most? Did the epidural help out and what is long term success with this? I am dreading the thought of standing on trolling pedal knowing that its going to be not fun. Anyone have the discs go back to normal without surgery? Advice , how to treat,,etc?

Looking for some positive news as I am only 48 years old...….

I did the epidural route for a few years. It works. Sometimes not the first set of shots, but usually once they come back for a second round you should get some major relief. Mine lasted about a year everytime. It doesnt fix the disc. What it does do is give u a few more years of normal activity level, while your disc will keep getting worse. Eventually surgery is probably in your future, but the epidural will prolong it. I had the same exact pain. Got so bad I couldnt walk, golf, fish and had surgery and the epidural quit working. When that happens time for surgery. Get the shots and keep your hammys stretched at least five times a day
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

3. Member
    I had epidurals for over 2 years and the first one worked great, pain free for 8 months. Never had another one worth a dam. Had fusion and some screws put in last week of August and wish like hell I had done it sooner. Post op is painful and dreadful for about 6 weeks, then everything becomes easier. I am a little overweight and have lost 22 bs and can walk 3-4 miles every night without issue. id say I am about 75%, but I would say get the surgery and get it over with, you be glad you did. Those boat rides were pure torture before surgery.

I understand this will sound stupid, but it cost you almost nothing to try it. I have 3 bad discs in my back. I got the shots for a couple years, this was back when I was still framing houses. They would help for about 6 months each so I could work but just barely.
    I used to also camp a lot and always slept in a hammock in the woods. My daughter begged me to hang one up for her to watch tv, so I hung one in the living room. I started napping in it and it gave me some relief, so I started sleeping in it at night and for the first time in years woke up pain free. I did some research (especially on a site called hammock forums) and found there are a lot of people that sleep in hammock for back pain. I have been sleeping full time in the hammock for 5 years almost and rarely ever have any pain anymore. If I do have a bad day at work I am good by morning. I believe it has to do with the gentle traction on your spine all night letting it relax and the disc and fluid etc eventually work there way back.
    It may not work for you, but it was a life changer for me. My hammock cost me about $75 and I made it myself. I have told a lot of people about this and have yet to have anyone believe me or try it. If you want some more info drop me a message and I am glad to help.
    Joe

5. Member
    Had three epidurals and did not help me. Surgery helped, but I have to remind myself to limit what I do or I feel it the next few days.
    Praying for a Cure

6. Member
    I have one herniated disc ---Inversion table every morning gets me going. When i fish i wear a back brace.
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

Quote Originally Posted by creekchub View Post
    Just had A MRI done.....I have 2 herniated discs- one worse than the other. They recommend an epidural in the next week or so to help with pain and to help the discs get better. My back is pretty much pain free but the pain down the leg is constant and my hamstrings are super tight at night time most days.
    My back was a mess three weeks ago-but better now. Been going to physical therapy for 6 weeks and not much change in sciatic type pain relief.

Who has had a herniated disc or two and what helped you the most? Did the epidural help out and what is long term success with this? I am dreading the thought of standing on trolling pedal knowing that its going to be not fun. Anyone have the discs go back to normal without surgery? Advice , how to treat,,etc?

Looking for some positive news as I am only 48 years old...….

I used to have em----------------------I don't any longer. --- I have titanium rods and screws.---

Of course you will hear the old inversion table --- cures everyone. But it's your back and like my surgeon told me--- " for everyone of these ppl recommending an inversion table, it is a shame the ones they paralyze or cause a lifetime of discomfort,can't sue the hell out of them" Guess he has seen some armchair doctors in his 30 years as a Neurosurgeon.

When a disc ruptures, the outside of the disc is like really really thin leather. The inside is like shimp meat ( not a jelly donut) when the disc ruptures, the insides come out and press on the nerves causing the pain. When they operate, they trim the meat ( shirmp) off. they don't suture the disc up. Depending on the severity it can open up again ( then they remove the disc and you get some titanium).

If the tear isn't too bad, an epidural can shrink the meat back in----- but without PT--- it is going to rupure again. good luck

PS, on one of the 4 back operations i had, using a dremel type tool he trimmed the vertebrae so the sciatic never will never come in contact and cause me pain
    Last edited by Bassman Ia.; 02-15-2019 at 04:21 PM.

8. Banned
    I'm inoperative (thus far) w/3 discs bone on bone on bone and 2 in the neck (QiGong its like Yoga)

I wear this when Fishing:

https://www.advancedbackpro.com/?mid...SABEgK4d_D_BwE

You can tighten this one and it provides real good support. You should be able to get it at ChinaWalMart™ CVS and Walgreens in the "As Seen on TV" aisle.

You might also look into "Kratom"

Edit: To be fair, I haven't had the shots since the outbreak of the tainted juice. I'd recommend at least a good walk for the least of exercise. Since I started sleeping on the floor, the instances of increased pain has been minimized...

••• Your Mileage May Vary •••
    Last edited by LewStulePH.D.; 02-15-2019 at 07:56 PM.

9. Member
    Herniated disk L4/L5 with a bone spur. Only thing epidural injections did for me was help pay the doctors Mercedes payment. Had a laminectomy, discectomy, fusion with screws and rods 11-8-2018. Come March 4th the boat, camper and ME are heading to the lake.

Got me an inversion table to help with mine, Guess mine is not as bad as y'alls.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

I’ve had 8 epidurals. None have helped me. Did the Drs some good I suspect. The epidural is just a Band-Aid. 2 neck and one lumbar surgery. The worst on me is the thoracic. Doctors say the surgery I need is to risky unless I get to where I can’t walk or I start pooping on myself. You can put off surgery until the nerve damage is permanent. My step dad can barely walk with a cane from that very thing. The surgery isn’t fun and don’t just settle for any ole Dr. lots of them I wouldn’t let work on my cat, and I hate my cat. Larry
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

12. Member
    I fought them for years untill a friend pointed me towards Dr. John Sarno’s book Healing Back Pain. This book helped me overcome years of back pain when nothing else would work.

good luck.

Back pain is the worst! One surgery on my back, it was so painful I had to crawl to get to the bathroom and use the toilet to get up. I was back at work after 3 months. Then another stint with my back in 2001 and another surgery. That one took me one year to fully recuperate from the surgery. Then and epidural in 2010 and that has helped immensely. So far knock on wood, I only have minor issues but have been able
    to do my stretching and minor meds to help the situation.
    I really didn't do a whole lot of fishing after that because my back couldn't stand the pounding of the waves while running...
    I hope your situation gets better and you can function. Heat and ice for swelling which helps greatly.
    Last edited by Bassguy2; 02-15-2019 at 05:48 PM.
    "Show me the water, I will fish."

14. Member
    Same issue as the OP and the epidural shots have worked wonders for me. Have had 2 so far and am pain free
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

15. Member
    I got 9, 3 severe with nothing at all holding them together and stuff smashed out from between them. Posted MRI reports before. Can't find where I paid for the one on my middle back, but have neck and lower back ones handy. Don't let it change anything. I still do the same things, even hang 12' 5/8" sheetrock by myself still. Just have to drop it when my back goes hitting the nerves. Fishing same way. But I know not to go out hitting waves in the boat like I use to. Just the thought.

16. Member
    Bone on bone in my neck, scoliosis between my shoulder blades, stenosis lower back.
    Tournaments are primarily a thing of the past, I’m not much fun after 4-5 hours/day.
    I’m fine with it, just fish for fun, more relaxing anyway. Medically, almost all holistic.
    Massage, chiropractic, yoga, staying fit and sleeping right. Traction for my neck issue.

17. Member
    I've had 3 ruptured/herniated discs and have had epidurals and two types of back surgery. Epidurals are predominately a temporary fix, especially when the inner portion of the disc (nucleus pulposus) is protruding through the outer ring (annulus fibrosus). Epidurals use a combination of a steroid and a longer acting local anesthetic for pain relief.

As the rupture starts pressing on nerves, the nerves become inflamed and begin to swell, as they swell, pressure on the nerve increases, which also increases the irritation of the nerve. The epidural steroid is used to decrease the inflammation of the nerve.

Avoid fusion devices unless there is spinal instability (spondylolisthesis) or spinal stenosis, bony growth encroaching on the paths the nerves pass through. Opinions vary, if I were to be stricken with similar symptoms, I would be searching for a very reputable neurologist, who tend to be more conservative than ortho physicians.

Be patient, it's not going to change rapidly and if you come to the conclusion that the conservative treatments do not help, find a good neurosurgeon, note that doctors, just as with auto mechanics, there are some really good ones and some really bad ones. Research or a medical insider can be invaluable resources before any surgery.

Prayers up for you that you will feel better soon!
    Last edited by missingbama; 02-15-2019 at 08:00 PM.

18. Member
    The shots and physical therapy has worked for me so far.

19. Member
    Micro discectomy for me. shaved the disc's down to get them off the nerves. Still have few problems in cold weather but mostly good. First surgeon wanted to fuse the disc, glad I waited and got a second opinion

Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Got me an inversion table to help with mine, Guess mine is not as bad as y'alls.
    Got one, and agree the shot is nothing but a band aid...4 shots before surgery at 25.
    Before they put you to sleep for the shot..nice and fun...oh yeah..been putting off another surgery for years...forgotten how many I've had...whenever it gets bad I go get a shot...L5-S1...will have to be replaced at some point this I know...but decided against a fusion..will go the replacement route..laser spine institute...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast