Wow! What happened to prop prices?

I am looking at buying a new Mercury Tempest Plus 23" RH prop for the first time in a few years. I have purchased several of these over the years for around $315-$350 each. Including the hub. Now it seems like they are all around $500. What's changed? That's a major price change in just a few years.

On a related note -would appreciate any leads on places to check out to buy a new prop. Thanks
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

Everything is more expensive. You might find a used one on here for 350-400. For new ones, Rothwell Marine or Jacos.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Everything is more expensive. You might find a used one on here for 350-400. For new ones, Rothwell Marine or Jacos.
    Agree, but I was surprised to see prices jump 30%+ in under 5 years. That's serious inflation. Maybe has something to do with the price of steel, etc.

Thanks for the leads - I have looked at both of these places and they have the best prices thus far. I've bought several from Jacos in the past too.

4. Member
    Same. was considering a new Tempest and prices has drastically increased.

5. Member
    People are spending money buying boats and motors again and that drives prices up.

Personally... I think PPI/Turbo was selling their props cheaper than anybody. That competition was keeping the rest lower. Since Yamaha bought PPI/Turbo, They raised their prices a lot. Yamaha wants their props to stay at $700. It's working for them.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bman5150 View Post
    I am looking at buying a new Mercury Tempest Plus 23" RH prop for the first time in a few years. I have purchased several of these over the years for around $315-$350 each. Including the hub. Now it seems like they are all around $500. What's changed? That's a major price change in just a few years.

On a related note -would appreciate any leads on places to check out to buy a new prop. Thanks
    I went through this last year. During that time I spoke with a guy at the Yamaha prop shop and he told me they simply couldn't keep up with demand. I jokingly told him we need to have a recession so I could get the prop that I wanted. With the economy being as good as it is, boat sales are screaming and so are props. When demand is high, prices go up!
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha SHO 250

8. Member
    Bit the bullet and bought a new Tempest Plus from Rothwell Marine today. Best price I could find.

If the steel is coming from China, you're paying for Trump's import tax. What people don't understand is that when an import tax is levied, the delivering country does NOT pay the tax, the importer does. Then, guess what...it's passed on to the consumer.
    Last edited by Midnight Rider; 02-28-2019 at 12:56 PM.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Rider View Post
    If the steel is coming from China, you're paying for Frump's import tax. What people don't understand is that when an import tax is levied, the delivering country does NOT pay the tax, the importer does. Then, guess what...it's passed on to the consumer.
    plenty of steel mills still left here in the good ol USA, don’t be a commie..

2018 blazer 625 Pro Elite
    2018 mercury 250 pro xs
    helix 12, helix 9
    ultrex 112, dual blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkus View Post
    plenty of steel mills still left here in the good ol USA, don’t be a commie..
    Uh...the point is that previously China steel was cheaper. Higher prices on the raw product means higher prices for everything produced from it. Looked at the prices on pontoon boats lately? About 15% higher because of the Aluminum tariffs. Manufacturers buy product from the least expensive source...does that make them commies?
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

12. Member
    Midnight Rider-I appreciate your knowledge of the steel industry and the impact of tariffs. I don’t doubt you are correct and you certainly have a better understanding of the industry and general economics than I do. However, you lost me and about 80% of anyone else that reads this thread by injecting your political spin on the situation by citing “Frump’s import tax.” How about just stating the facts and leaving your political opinions out of a bass boat/bass fishing enthusiast forum? Same goes for the anti-Bush and anti-Obama and anti-Clinton folks. Geez...we’re all bass fishermen and bass boat owners. You might have done OK if you had just used our president’s actual name. I didn’t start this thread hoping someone would jump in with some policical spin on things. I just wanted to know if anyone knew why the prop prices were up significantly over the past several years.

13. Member
    It's not just props Mercury had a large price increase on everything 1st of the year. They do this every year but this year is worse. Hell a exhaust plate I bought in Nov for $470. is now $544. Feel bad for guy's that don't do their own repairs.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by bman5150 View Post
    Midnight Rider-I appreciate your knowledge of the steel industry and the impact of tariffs. I don’t doubt you are correct and you certainly have a better understanding of the industry and general economics than I do. However, you lost me and about 80% of anyone else that reads this thread by injecting your political spin on the situation by citing “Frump’s import tax.” How about just stating the facts and leaving your political opinions out of a bass boat/bass fishing enthusiast forum? Same goes for the anti-Bush and anti-Obama and anti-Clinton folks. Geez...we’re all bass fishermen and bass boat owners. You might have done OK if you had just used our president’s actual name. I didn’t start this thread hoping someone would jump in with some policical spin on things. I just wanted to know if anyone knew why the prop prices were up significantly over the past several years.
    It was not meant as a political statement. But, facts are facts, and the POTUS is DIRECTLY responsible for the increase in steel, aluminum, etc. prices. Most people are under the mistaken impression that China is eating the tariff, when in reality it's the end consumer. I call that getting smoke blown up my rear end, or in plain terminology, a LIE. The importer has options...he/she can buy steel from the USA companies, IF the prices are competitive when all is said and done. The end result is the same. If 80 percent of the people don't want to know the truth and facts, that's their problem, and they can choose to continue to be misinformed. That is not a political statement, it is simply truth vs lies. Of course, there are other factors at play when prices increase that have nothing to do with the government, but they are more difficult to identify.

My apologies if I offended anyone's sensibilities. Post has been edited to reflect the proper spelling.
    Last edited by Midnight Rider; 02-28-2019 at 01:05 PM.
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

15. Banned
    Prices of steel will drop in a year or two. The things happening are for a reason which will benefit us greatly in the long run.

This article is easy to understand.
    https://www.nasdaq.com/article/us-ra...s-80-cm1077447