Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Has anyone noticed that the original poster of this thread has not replied to any of our discussion? I have learned something of value though on my part...greasy and reddog have some interesting things to have shared...thanks guys!

2. Member
    If you have to repaint a Hardie job 3 times in 20 years you should find a new painter. Or quit buying the cheapest paint you can find. We have more than once replace smartsiding that was about 5 years old from rotting. Their warranty will also not cover rotting. Their warranty is great. It’s probably printed on some of the finest paper out there. It’s just doesn’t cover any of the issues that you will have with wood siding.

3. Member
    Still not a word from the original thread starter...I'm done...why I bother to spend my time trying to help becomes puzzling at times. I was as usual, just trying to help someone who asked for advice...by the way jbfarm...please don't be so insulting...this use to be a friendly section of the forum...I have spent 35 years of my life in the construction business sir...I have lived in extreme heat climates and in extreme humid climates...it is not uncommon in these climates to have to repaint in 7 years...and I never use cheap paint..ever..

The OP asked a question and answers were given. There doesn't need to be any further discussion unless you except him to kiss your ass and bow down to you for your replies.
    Plenty of us on this site who are in the business but don't make it known in every post on this forum that we are a high end company and in business X amount of years. Good for you and your accomplishments.
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

5. Member
    HaHa...common man...this is suppose to be friendly advice...I'm sorry that you seem to feel offended. I have often asked for advice on a few different forums including this one...and have always expressed thanks when useful advice was received...and often have interacted further as the topic grows...I was just punning on the no reply thing....wow man...I'm sorry...this was not meant to end up this way...I'll try to be more "quiet"...

6. Member
    Is the Hardie Plank the same as James Hardie Siding? I want to get away from the maintenance on my current ceder siding. I'd rather not have to paint new siding. I was under the impression that with the James Hardie siding, maintenance was nothing more than a power washing once a year. From the above posts, this doesn't sound to be the case.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cards21 View Post
    Is the Hardie Plank the same as James Hardie Siding? I want to get away from the maintenance on my current ceder siding. I'd rather not have to paint new siding. I was under the impression that with the James Hardie siding, maintenance was nothing more than a power washing once a year. From the above posts, this doesn't sound to be the case.
    No matter what you install you're going to have maintenance. Just like cement cracks, paint peels and chalks.
    I've got money I haven't even spent yet!
    2011 Nitro Z8--200 pro xs

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sawguy View Post
    No matter what you install you're going to have maintenance. Just like cement cracks, paint peels and chalks.
    So, the Hardie siding does need painting? If that's the case, I might just keep the cedar siding and continue to stain every 4/5 years. But, I'd really like to get away from this. Not sure I would like the looks of vinyl, after having the cedar for so long. Thanks

9. Member
    Hardie siding comes pre primed or factory stained/painted. Most of our work calls for the pre-primed as the budget gets blown most every time with the factory stained/painted product...and you still have to touch up the factory finish after install and its really easy to damage while installing. As far as the warranty goes...I believe that Hardie use to have a 50 year warranty when it first became available on the USA market. It is currently less that this now at 30 years. The product now also is manufactured to different standards for different climate zones for sure. They had a good amount of issues in over seas markets where there is a lot more moisture. There are now several varieties of the cement based siding on the market...Take a look at Cemplank, and Nichiha...better warranty and less money on the Nichiha for sure. It seems as though people refer to cement based lap siding as Hardie...just as they reach for a Kleenex instead of fascia tissue...while you are at it, check out Miratec for trim...its sitting at less money than any cement based trim product and carries a 50 year warranty....it only comes pre-primed and requires painting though...Hope this helps...

10. Member
    I'm still looking into the cedar siding replacement.. Would anyone have input on craneboard? Looks to be a vinyl (7" heighth), with foam backing. I'd really just like to have something more maintenance free and still look good. tia

11. Member
    I am not familiar with the product that you are referring to, but if it is considered 7" is should be very close to the profile of the original cedar/pine dutch lap. You can expect a bit more waste considering that it is insulated as well...and a considerable increased price tag per square (100 sq, ft.)over standard dutch lap vinyl at 4 - 5 inches instead of 7" and having most definitely the possibility to special order all of the package with no returns on overage. You may also be facing (not sure) the possibility of special order trims that are packaged in boxes and cannot be broken up into what you really need such as J mold. and f mold and inside and outside corners....watch this "domino" very carefully...anything else I can help with please just post...

12. Scraps
    Vinyl. Go back to the vinyl. This would be the lowest maintenance option of everything being considered. Goes up fast.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

13. Member
    I’m getting ready for siding and windows, going with certainteed monogram. Some say it’s the best vinyl siding you can get

Quote Originally Posted by 96 Champ View Post
    I’m getting ready for siding and windows, going with certainteed monogram. Some say it’s the best vinyl siding you can get
    Update?

15. Banned
    We have vinyl siding on the second story of our lake house. If I was to do it over, I'd use Hardiplank and paint it well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12