Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vinyl Siding my best option?

I have a brick 1st level and currently have wood siding on my 2nd story that needs to be replaced. We plan to be in our house 15-20 more years. I don't want to ever have wood again. Is vinyl our best option? If not, what would you recommend? Thanks for any advice.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

2. Member
    Brick is a value-adder in my area, so I'd recommend fiber-cement lap siding. With good paint (Sherwin WIlliams, etc), maintenance will be next to nothing, and it will look better than vinyl after 10 years IMO. If your window and roof trim are seriously deteriorated, I'd give vinyl another look, with aluminum trim wrap.

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

3. Member
    Adding brick to your main level will be very costly and most likely the existing brick will never match the new brick...I think this would be a mistake. If you are entertaining lap siding that is comprised of cement based products, please do yourself a favor and look beyond Hardie. Hardie is like reaching for a Kleenex instead of a facial tissue...There are other brands for less that have a better warranty....also do not skip the "house wrap "step...also...now is the time to consider replacing you windows and exterior doors...A good quality vinyl has many advantages...and should be considered highly in your climate....think of it this way...when your vinyl siding is installed with proper house wrap and window tape before hand...you are done, with no caulking, painting, or re-caulking and re-painting required after the install...it will last for 20 years with proper maintenance...(as long as you buy upper end vinyl)...your cement based siding will have to be painted again and again at least 3 times in the same 20 year period on average...considering the up front cost difference between the vinyl and the overall cost of the cement lap after 20 years...you could be able to have brand new vinyl again in 20 years...vs 20 year old cement lap painted three times facing another paint job soon...all at the same overall cost...hope this helps you...

4. Member
    oops! Some how I thought you were speaking about some sort of a basement level of brick veneer...I noticed that this is concerning the second story not the main level...still the same applies....also...check out the product line from Miratech...50 year wood bi-product composite for your fascia instead of metal wrapping it...just an option that gives more detail and texture looking like rough sawn cedar to add some flair to the vinyl....Miratech 5/4" corner boards can also be a more economical composite solution if you go to cement based lap siding...and never allow whomever you hire to install wooden corner boards with cement based lap siding to save a few measly dollars... again i hipe this helps.....

5. Scraps
    No issue with vinyl. Would be a good choice over the cement board. At some point the cement board will need to be repainted. Find a good contractor that will do the job correctly, do the right prep work, insulation board, etc.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

6. Member
    We have brick on the lower half of our house and had wood above it. When we did a complete rehab we wanted a good vinyl for the top half. We ended up using Prodigy vinyl. It has an 1 1/2" of foam insulation that is actually attached to the siding. It has to be cut with a saw vs. using snips. Also adds to the "R" value as far as insulation. You can also get board and batten vs. standard. It is good stuff.
    http://www.alside.com/products/sidin...ulated-siding/
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

HardiePlank

8. Member
    LP Smartside is a better option than the cement board in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by 91reddog View Post
    This and keep in mind that paint lasts a very long time on these types of products. It will add value to your home and look better too.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

10. Banned
    My lake house has a high quality vinyl on the second story. It looks fine and is holding up very well. But homes with vinyl siding are just not as desirible as homes with the HardiPlank (or comparable) siding.

Homes with vinyl siding just don't sell as well as if they had the concrete type siding that's more stable.

Quote Originally Posted by 91reddog View Post
    They changed the name, but it's still basically particle board. I've replaced too much of that LP stuff with mushrooms growing out of it.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    This and keep in mind that paint lasts a very long time on these types of products. It will add value to your home and look better too.
    LP Smartside
    Same warranty (50 yr) as Hardie plank. Cement siding usually only comes in 12" lengths making for a lot of splices. Not very attractive.
    I've got money I haven't even spent yet!
    2011 Nitro Z8--200 pro xs

Quote Originally Posted by sawguy View Post
    LP Smartside
    Same warranty (50 yr) as Hardie plank. Cement siding usually only comes in 12" lengths making for a lot of splices. Not very attractive.
    Mine were 12' so there were a lot fewer splices. And you don't have to leave a 1/4" gap.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tooboocoo View Post
    They changed the name, but it's still basically particle board. I've replaced too much of that LP stuff with mushrooms growing out of it.
    not the same product. You're thinking Masonite siding. LP Smartside is a very good product. Cement board, not so much..

Mine were 12' so there were a lot fewer splices. And you don't have to leave a 1/4" gap.
    Ha, he meant 12'. LP Smartside comes in 16' lengths. I've sold both for many years other professionals I know agree with me. We would use LP Smartside on our homes before Fiber Cement. That is if our budget could handle an upgraded siding like those two.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by sawguy View Post
    LP Smartside
    Hardie was always a 30 year, did that recently change?

Doubtful, what you likely have been replacing is the Masonite brand product that LP bought and changed much around. The only thing the same is the surface molds (shape, design, look) and thats mainly what they wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    My lake house has a high quality vinyl on the second story. It looks fine and is holding up very well. But homes with vinyl siding are just not as desirible as homes with the HardiPlank (or comparable) siding.

Homes with vinyl siding just don't sell as well as if they had the concrete type siding that's more stable.
    Really? You know this for a fact? What a ridiculous statement.
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by edw View Post
    Adding brick to your main level will be very costly and most likely the existing brick will never match the new brick...I think this would be a mistake. If you are entertaining lap siding that is comprised of cement based products, please do yourself a favor and look beyond Hardie. Hardie is like reaching for a Kleenex instead of a facial tissue...There are other brands for less that have a better warranty....also do not skip the "house wrap "step...also...now is the time to consider replacing you windows and exterior doors...A good quality vinyl has many advantages...and should be considered highly in your climate....think of it this way...when your vinyl siding is installed with proper house wrap and window tape before hand...you are done, with no caulking, painting, or re-caulking and re-painting required after the install...it will last for 20 years with proper maintenance...(as long as you buy upper end vinyl)...your cement based siding will have to be painted again and again at least 3 times in the same 20 year period on average...considering the up front cost difference between the vinyl and the overall cost of the cement lap after 20 years...you could be able to have brand new vinyl again in 20 years...vs 20 year old cement lap painted three times facing another paint job soon...all at the same overall cost...hope this helps you...
    Show me one unhappy cement siding owner who has any complaints where the install was done by a legit installer with a rainscreen gap, which is a 1/2' to 3/4 airspace behind the siding which is accomplished by strapping on the studs to create an airspace. Siding and sheathing can then breathe and there is absolutely no way for condensation and moisture to become trapped behind the siding which translates to the siding and paint lasting easily as long as advertised.

If you want to get into a real professional install, look into one of the new peel and stick membranes, such as VP100 which is like housewrap on all the steroids. Couple that with a ventilated airspace behind your siding and you could pressure wash that wall every day for 20 years and you'd still never have an issue.

I've seen hardie plank installs start to look bad in as little as 5 years when installed flush to the wall simply because the water cannot get out.

If you decide on any siding product that needs to be nailed to the studs and the installer tells you a rainscreen gap is not necessary, run away.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greasy_cocksman View Post
    Show me one unhappy cement siding owner who has any complaints where the install was done by a legit installer with a rainscreen gap, which is a 1/2' to 3/4 airspace behind the siding which is accomplished by strapping on the studs to create an airspace. Siding and sheathing can then breathe and there is absolutely no way for condensation and moisture to become trapped behind the siding which translates to the siding and paint lasting easily as long as advertised.

If you want to get into a real professional install, look into one of the new peel and stick membranes, such as VP100 which is like housewrap on all the steroids. Couple that with a ventilated airspace behind your siding and you could pressure wash that wall every day for 20 years and you'd still never have an issue.

I've seen hardie plank installs start to look bad in as little as 5 years when installed flush to the wall simply because the water cannot get out.

If you decide on any siding product that needs to be nailed to the studs and the installer tells you a rainscreen gap is not necessary, run away.
    Ive installed many rainscreen siding jobs. While everything you say is exactly true, theres very few people that know what a rain screen does, let alone install one correctly. Ive done everything from 3/4 strapping on a house in 1980, that the verticle cedar siding looks as good today as the day we walked away from it. Average time frame between refinishes on wood siding with a "properly installed" rainscreen runs between 9 and 12 years between paint jobs, and it looks good the whole time. Ive also got many horiontal lap cedar jobs installed on 1/2 inch furring that are 30 years old that have no cracking/warping etc. and are on their 3rd paint job. The thicker the furring the more complicated the install/flashing details. I built a house in 2005 with Cement board siding on 5 mm coravent strapping. It looks as good today, and when we walked away from it 13 years ago. I will still say, with all installs equal, that I prefer LP Smartside over Hardie Plank. Your mileage may vary..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast