Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I wouldn't want 4 batteries in a 17 foot boat......36v seems like overkill to me....I'm in a 19 footer with 24v 80lb and I have never had a problem...run series 31 AGMs and keep them maintained on a Dual Pro charger and it works great....

2. Member
    If you aren't fishing where river currents are a problem then the 24 volt will be enough. Room becomes a important factor when having 4 batteries in your boat along with the upkeep and weight.

3. Banned
    I went from 24v to 36v and happy with my decision.It really does good trolling,much rather use trolling motor than the 150.If you are not a troller the 24v will be good for your 17 footer.

4. Member
    I'm running a 75# 24volt 5 speed on a 17' tin. If it's on "3" and turned to the side, someone's going over !
    A digital would be nice, as 90% of the time, "1" is too fast. I have to plan where I'm going to end up, when I bump the power button.

I had a 20 Nitro that fried the motor guide troller that was on it. A friend had a 67lb minn Kota that he let me borrow until I figured out what I was going to put back on it. The minn Kota did such a good job I just bought it and left it on the boat. If I was going to tourney fish it wouldn’t have been enough. But the way I fished then it worked great.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

6. Member
    There's a few situations where a 36V on a smaller boat makes sense but in those situations it's definitely not to save money. In some areas where guys use aluminum jet boats to fish shallow and swift rivers it makes sense but then your also talking about lithiums to keep down the weight.

On yours 24V is plenty.

7. Member
    running 36v 105 lb on my tin boat and WISH they made a bow mount 48v motor.
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

I have an 80 on my 17'8" boat. I fish the nastiest slop on Okeechobee with no issues. Never have i thought that i needed more.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12