GT vs CV Transducer for Echomap

I’m trying to figure out the differences between the Echomap graphs on sale at Bass Pro and the newer models that have the same name. What I can tell is that the transducers are different. The new ones have the GT and the ones on sale have the CV. Is there any difference in image quality between the two? Why are they different?

Also, it looks like the newer models have the g3 maps and the ones on sale have the older version of maps. I’ve seen a few posts on here talking about free upgrades to the new g3 maps when they come out. Can anyone tell me if that’s true and if anything special needs to be done to upgrade the maps on the unit?

This whole mapping and transducer game gets confusing when they keep switching models. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Member
    GT has a dedicated 'down' element whereas the CV just lets the two side elements meet to give the down view image. Is the GT a better transducer--yes. Is it significantly better--in my opinion, no. I run both and for bass fishing in 40' or less water, I cannot tell a whole lot of difference. Other people say there is a lot of difference, I just don't see it.

You will be able to get a free upgrade to the g3 maps on the older 93sv Plus unit. This is NOT the g3 Ultra mapping.

SE Kansas grass grower

ROCK CHALK

Quote Originally Posted by ring fry View Post
    GT has a dedicated 'down' element whereas the CV just lets the two side elements meet to give the down view image. Is the GT a better transducer--yes. Is it significantly better--in my opinion, no. I run both and for bass fishing in 40' or less water, I cannot tell a whole lot of difference. Other people say there is a lot of difference, I just don't see it.

You will be able to get a free upgrade to the g3 maps on the older 93sv Plus unit. This is NOT the g3 Ultra mapping.

SE Kansas grass grower

is the G3 Ultra extra no matter what? that shading pic they released looks legit, plus its got alot of my bodies of water on it as well
    "The Green Machine!"

1998 ProCraft 200 BASS
    1998 Mariner EFI 200 HP 2.5
    4 Blade Trophy 24P

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    g3 Ultra is on a mapping card that has to be bought.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/663984
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    g3 Ultra is on a mapping card that has to be bought.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/663984

Trying to keep up so many maps and options lol

My unit 93SV
    according to website im preloaded with Lake VU G3
    But then there is Lake VU HD Ultra currently available for $199
    And were currently waiting for the release of Lake VU G3 Ultra (Feb 27 rumored to be $250-$350)

But then i hear about free software upgrades are in the mix as well. (which will not be able to be used on the G3 Ultra)

so which would/could or should i burn my "free" upgrade on? (lake VU HD Ultra?)

am i in the ballpark?
    "The Green Machine!"

1998 ProCraft 200 BASS
    1998 Mariner EFI 200 HP 2.5
    4 Blade Trophy 24P

6. Member
    See post #4.
    Your free update is for when they update G3 again. Free update is not free upgrade. Ultra is an upgrade.
    Haha! As if I know. I'm guessing.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

7. Member
    https://www8.garmin.com/marine/PDF/l...ding_lakes.pdf

Meh

Nothing I fish.

Only about 150 lakes with the relief feature.

Maybe they will add more lakes.

8. Member
    I have a 2 year old 93sv that I have on my console that has the GT52. Just added the new 93sv Plus to TM with the CV52. I do drop shot a bunch in fall of the year in a deep clear lake. At the moment going to leave my setup as is but in the fall after I have really have a chance to see how the CV52 does I might switch out the transducers and place the GT52 on my TM.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    https://www8.garmin.com/marine/PDF/l...ding_lakes.pdf

Meh

Nothing I fish.

Only about 150 lakes with the relief feature.

Maybe they will add more lakes.
    Thanks for that link. Though it does not have the lake I fish most of the time it does all several Ky./Tn. lakes in my area I do fish from time to time. Not sure at the moment if I want to spend that kind of money on this map card but if see a sale at some point I might update to it.