I just repowered my 520L with new merc 4 stroke..WOW.. but now my key ..

My key pad is blinking off and on ..where you start the motor and stop. other buttons are good..

when i key motor off and then turn knob to off/charge the key pad starts blinking..other night it quit and i can make it quit, last night it blinked all night.

but is it telling me something? told by a ranger mechanic at the recent okeechobee costa about doing a hard reset on these key pads...but this was before my new motor install and was about blinking livewell light button

got a call into ranger...waiting...

also every thing works like it should...and motor is awesome..

2. Member
    I had the blinking issue and it was a wire that was wrong or I lost ground. I can't remember but I know there are plenty of guys who will be on here that can help you out if Ranger doesn't get back to you soon.

3. Member
    Can't help with your issue, but can say that 4-stroke is a beast. Just got a 19 520L with that engine. Can't say enough about that combo. Good luck with your issue. I saw a pic of you ride, awesome colors, beautiful boat.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger randy View Post
    Can't help with your issue, but can say that 4-stroke is a beast. Just got a 19 520L with that engine. Can't say enough about that combo. Good luck with your issue. I saw a pic of you ride, awesome colors, beautiful boat.
    My dream rig......
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonray View Post
    My key pad is blinking off and on ..where you start the motor and stop. other buttons are good..

when i key motor off and then turn knob to off/charge the key pad starts blinking..other night it quit and i can make it quit, last night it blinked all night.

but is it telling me something? told by a ranger mechanic at the recent okeechobee costa about doing a hard reset on these key pads...but this was before my new motor install and was about blinking livewell light button

got a call into ranger...waiting...

also every thing works like it should...and motor is awesome..
    I can't help you with the blinking light, but I envy your repower initiative. I have a 520L with the 2 stroke Merc and hate it. The performance is underwhelming to say the least and is hard to steer. My purchase was just another confirmation of you don't buy the first model year of anything.
    I
    2018 Ranger 520L w/ Merc Pro XS 250 4S
    15" Solix console
    12" Solix on the bow
    Ultrex
    Atlas Hydraulic Jackplate

6. Member
    Are the lights blinking with the perko in the off-charge position?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RobnTexas View Post
    Are the lights blinking with the perko in the off-charge position?

YES!! I can get it to quit if I key it off 1234 off..(sometimes it seems). . then turn knob to off/charge.... but if I hit any button on key pad it will start blinking in 5 seconds or less....sometimes it quits

turning it back to run gets it to quit blinking. but then starts blinking again when turn back to off/charge....

I must key if off and do it how I said before so it won't blink....driving me crazy.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gsb0824 View Post
    I can't help you with the blinking light, but I envy your repower initiative. I have a 520L with the 2 stroke Merc and hate it. The performance is underwhelming to say the least and is hard to steer. My purchase was just another confirmation of you don't buy the first model year of anything.
    I
    felt the same!!!!!

9. Member
    My 6 month old 520L has been in the shop since January 3. Start panel light blinking also even when charging the batteries with the perko in the off-charge position. Dealer has been working with advise from Ranger and have checked everything. New "brain" came in today and hopefully that will fix my problem. New panel didn't help but they do go out. Good luck!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RobnTexas View Post
    My 6 month old 520L has been in the shop since January 3. Start panel light blinking also even when charging the batteries with the perko in the off-charge position. Dealer has been working with advise from Ranger and have checked everything. New "brain" came in today and hopefully that will fix my problem. New panel didn't help but they do go out. Good luck!

what motor do you have? 4 stroke pro xs?

11. Member
    After I rigged my boat Z520L last year mine was doing the same thing. I rewired and put every thing threw the charge switch including the engine wires and problem solved, some how getting feed back from the engine. If your engine and power isn't ran threw that switch you may be getting feed back.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerRodney View Post
    After I rigged my boat Z520L last year mine was doing the same thing. I rewired and put every thing threw the charge switch including the engine wires and problem solved, some how getting feed back from the engine. If your engine and power isn't ran threw that switch you may be getting feed back.
    well I just tried it ...switching merc positive cable over to the jumpstart and the starting key pad still blinks when I turn the jumpstart back off/charge...then quits when switch back to on/run....must again go through the whole process of 1234 start and 1234 off in run position then back to off/charge to get blinking quit...annoyed

know another guy who just got brand new ranger 520L this week and having same issue

13. Member
    Have a 2004 520VX. Starting battery died and replaced with new one. Now when I turn main breaker on, everylight on keypad comes on. Then they start to blink and motor jumps when they blink. Nothing works per buttons on keypad. Depth Flasher comes on when lights blink, then goes off, but can't get anything else to work by using keypad buttons. Called Ranger but no real help. HELP!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonray View Post
    what motor do you have? 4 stroke pro xs?
    2018 PRO XS 2 stroke