Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Buying TN fishing license

I'm trying to buy a year non-resident (non trout) fishing license on-line. The system says that 2019/20 licenses cannot be purchased until 2/18. I want to fish in TN this weekend. Are they seriously telling me I'm going to have to purchase a 2-3 day before I purchase my year? Is this for real?

If I spend $49 for a year license today, it will only be good for a few days then expire. That's what it says.

I do not currently have a TN fishing license.

2. Member
    You are correct, can't purchase until 2/18. You will need to purchase the short term one for the weekend, unless you want to gamble on not getting checked.
    Just the way the TWRA works.

3. Member
    Ok ty for answering. And that may be the dumbest (imo) policy I've ever seen. But now I know I'm not missing anything.

4. Member
    I am pretty sure you can still buy a 3-day non-resident non-trout (077) for $20.50. That would get you to the 18th. Then you could get an annual for next year.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by huntertn View Post
    I am pretty sure you can still buy a 3-day non-resident non-trout (077) for $20.50. That would get you to the 18th. Then you could get an annual for next year.
    Yes that's exactly correct. I am fishing Dale this weekend and next so would have liked to just bought year but just bit the bullet and bought 3 day to be legal. Will purchase year next week. Don't have a choice if I'm fishing this weekend.

6. Member
    Its pretty simple to follow
    Tennessee hunting and fishing licences start date is March 1st and expire on the last day of February. It has been like this for the last 30 years.
    If my memory is correct the licences back in the 70's was June 1st. start date.

Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    Ok ty for answering. And that may be the dumbest (imo) policy I've ever seen. But now I know I'm not missing anything.
    Last edited by shortstick; 02-15-2019 at 02:37 PM.
    Mike
    2019 Phoenix 721 pro xp

Mercury 250 pro xs
    2B575862

7. Banned
    The new "year" starts March 1, 2019 so if you buy a yearly license for 19' it won't go in effect until March 1st. You'll need to buy short terms to get you to March 1... Don't ask me how I know... Dan

Tennessee and other states uses a calendar year. Some states use date of purchase to date of purchase for a year. Lived in both.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    The new "year" starts March 1, 2019 so if you buy a yearly license for 19' it won't go in effect until March 1st. You'll need to buy short terms to get you to March 1... Don't ask me how I know... Dan
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

10. Member
    It said yearly for 2019 would be available on Feb 18th (Monday). You're saying if I purchased a yearly on the 18th it would still only be good until March 1st?

11. Member
    I don't know what Dan's experience was but I would hope a wildlife officer would not write someone up who had a license for the next year. But not much surprises me anymore. So I went back and looked at the TWRA website and this is the language:

"The hunting and fishing licenses go on sale February 18 each year, the beginning of prime fishing, and are valid until the last day of February the following year. "

To me it sounds like it should be valid from the day you buy it until the end of February the next year.

Here is the page: https://www.tn.gov/twra/license-sale...-licenses.html

12. Member
    I don't know what Dan's experience was but I would hope a wildlife officer would not write someone up who had a license for the next year. But not much surprises me anymore. So I went back and looked at the TWRA website and this is the language:

"The hunting and fishing licenses go on sale February 18 each year, the beginning of prime fishing, and are valid until the last day of February the following year. "

To me it sounds like it should be valid from the day you buy it until the end of February the next year.

Here is the page: https://www.tn.gov/twra/license-sale...-licenses.html
    Yes that's what I was saying I saw as well. I'll triple check Monday before purchasing the yearly. Thanks for your assistance.

13. Banned
    I don't know what Dan's experience was but I would hope a wildlife officer would not write someone up who had a license for the next year.
    I bought a new yearly license ahead of time and tossed the old one. I was stopped by a TWRA officer a few days before the 1st of March. He asked for my license and I gave him the one I had. He said "this is great but can I see the one for this year"? I explained that I threw it away when I got the new one. He wrote me a ticket and said when he got to the office on Monday morning he'd check the computer to verify and if I had a valid license from the current year he'd tear the ticket up... He called me first thing Monday morning and confirmed that I did indeed have a valid license in their data base, tear the ticket up...

A new 2019 fishing license goes into effect March 1, 2019 and is valid until February 28, 2020. To legally fish until March 1 of this year you need either a valid 2018 license or a 3, 5, 7 or 10 day fishing license to cover the days you'll be fishing ... Dan

14. Member
    Gotcha and since I didn't have a yearly or any other TN license I needed to buy a 3 day to fish this specific weekend (today, tomorrow). I'll buy my yearly this coming week.

15. Banned
    On July 4th, my license falls to $5.00 or $50.00 lifetime. I wonder which I should buy?

Bill

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries 181 View Post
    On July 4th, my license falls to $5.00 or $50.00 lifetime. I wonder which I should buy?

Bill
    How how many years do you have left?

17. Member
    All the times I’ve fished this lake I’ve never seen the TWRA on it.
    Basscat!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GRR884 View Post
    All the times I’ve fished this lake I’ve never seen the TWRA on it.
    I see them at dale hollow more than any other lake I fish. I'd imagine I had my license checked 3 times last year.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    I see them at dale hollow more than any other lake I fish. I'd imagine I had my license checked 3 times last year.
    interesting for sure. I’ve not even seen their boats.
    Basscat!

20. Banned
    In the 6 years we've owned a house on Norris I've been checked there more than anywhere in my life... I can almost guarantee you that on March 1st they'll be out checking... I've been check 4 of the last 6 years... Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast