Thread: Fishing deep

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    My favorite thing to do is fish in 1,000 to 2000 ft deep dropping watching the 15lb lead weight go down on the graph is cool.

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    After the spawn I'll have 30+ under my feet fishing 12 to 25,, but have found them in 45' here in IN. As long as I have 30'+ under me I'm happy. Ive never tore up a prop or transducer in the summer months.
    Same. Even fishing Patoka now in summer I find myself with the boat sitting in 25-35 feet of water a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Bass Hunter View Post
    I fish deep sometimes. Like when I have the boat in 4' and cast into 3'

I’ll fish 1-35’, last few years been fishing shallow more. Kind of go back and forth, and depends on lake.

Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    Same. Even fishing Patoka now in summer I find myself with the boat sitting in 25-35 feet of water a lot.
    There are no fish that deep there, stop trying.

Up here on Lake Michigan where I fish most of the time anything less than 15' is shallow. Deepest smallmouth I have caught was in 110'. Saw him on the graph on top of a hump. Dropshotted him and bam, he was on. But really its not unusual to find them in 30' to 50' in the summer. Visibility is over 20'. Get on the right spot and you can catch them as fast as you get a bait down there.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

There are some guys who dive under the ice around here. They had footage of giant smallmouth with their bellies on the bottom in 70 feet of water on Lake Minnetonka. They definitely get that deep, but if you pull one from that deep I've got to believe you're going to kill it. That seems like it'd be even past fizzing territory.

Generally speaking (obviously not always), once you get past the spawn and subsequent recuperation period around here you better be fishing offshore if you want to compete in a tournament. That can be flipping grass from 4-7 feet all the way out to fishing offshore structure or outside weed edges in 25 feet or deeper. So I suppose to whatever extent that's deep I fish deep quite a lot. What's "deep" depends on the lake, of course, as our stained lakes will have weed edges as shallow as 5 or 6 feet while clear ones can be out to and past 25 feet. That's not deep compared to what some people are talking about though!

I did catch a laker out of 120 feet on the Canadian side of Lake of the Woods through the ice a few winters back. That was definitely deep!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    Deep in Florida is 10-15’ for the most part, so I’ve never fished deep. When Florida fish are “deep” they’re usually not active and I’m dragging a soft plastic to target them.
    I’m in Florida also and have found them “active” in deeper water often. Deep being usually 12 to 22 feet. The beauty of it is that if you find them they are usually pretty easy to catch. I’m talking up to 35 fish per trip. Takes a lot of time and patience but it is rewarding and doable in Florida.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davecon View Post
    I’m in Florida also and have found them “active” in deeper water often. Deep being usually 12 to 22 feet. The beauty of it is that if you find them they are usually pretty easy to catch. I’m talking up to 35 fish per trip. Takes a lot of time and patience but it is rewarding and doable in Florida.
    Yes sir it is.

10. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    My home lake, If you don't have 60' of water under you......you're blanking.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    My home lake, If you don't have 60' of water under you......you're blanking.....
    We find ourselves fishing in 45' to 60' at our home lake during the winter. Our last tourney was in January at Lake Berryessa; the winner fished in 45' to 50' with a 8.44 kicker. He had a good day fishing points and subtle sub points off the main point....
    "Show me the water, I will fish."

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    In the summer I like to fish off shore, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that I fish deep...usually no more than 12’-15’. But, that may have to change on a couple lakes this year. Last summer in a couple major tournaments in our area, the top checks were taken fishing much deeper than I have ever seen on our lakes. Several top teams were out fishing in areas where the walleye guys usually fish. Lots of us ran past them during the day wondering, “What the heck are they doing out there?” The answer turned out to be...”Taking our money!”
    No doubt...was walleye fishing in 20'+ water and caught a football...the smally's will go where the bait is no matter what up at Erie.

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    No doubt...was walleye fishing in 20'+ water and caught a football...the smally's will go where the bait is no matter what up at Erie.
    I would love to fish Erie at some point.....but me and the ocean don't get along and Erie from the shore does look like the ocean.
    "Show me the water, I will fish."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12