Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Rt 188 vs Vexus 1880 Opinions. Looking for help

Any guys out there have a chance to get inside these 2? I am looking at making a purchase end of this year and looking for what would be best overall for my type of fishing. Want to fish bigger water and rivers from a Norris/ dale hollow lake to backwater sloughs at chickamauga. I'm not real big on the fastest boat but more about fishability, quality of ride, storage features, trailer etc,. May fish a few tournaments here and there. Just looking for opinions not trying to stir anything up as I know both are great boats. Thanks guys

Regarding motor looking solely for reliability less visits to the mechanic the better.

2. Member
    I live a hour east of you in Greeneville and was looking at the same two boats. Watson's in bluff city as both in the showroom. There's know comparing the two Vexus is a much nicer looking boat. I will be buying one this fall. Just my two cents worth

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    The Vexus is a great looking boat and will be faster with the same sized outboard. I haven't fished or ridden in a Vexus but I previously owned a similar sized pad hull tin boat and I think my RT188 is a more stable fishing platform and it certainly will go in shallower water than a pad hull but that doesn't mean the Vexus wouldn't be an excellent platform. If I was in the market today you can be darned sure I'd also be looking at both boats and the styling, performance and unique features of the Vexus would be attractive but I don't know what, if any, the price difference is.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

4. Banned
    I've looked at both. Based on looks and layout alone, the Vexus wins.

5. Member
    I would have to go for a ride in the Vexus. I've had my RT188 in some pretty rough stuff in the 2.5 years I've owned it and it has got me back safely every time. No doubt it's a wetter ride in rough water than the pad hull. Seems like the pad hull Vexus I looked at while visiting with my buddy over at Watsons at Christmas was thousands more than what I paid for my loaded RT. Both the Merc and the Yamaha are going to be darn near bullet proof. I know the Merc is REAL easy to maintain yourself.

Like you said, both are real good boats. It just boils down to how much you want to spend.

6. Member
    Appreciate the feedback. Decisions decisions. At least I have some time. There is no way I'd pay over 30k for an 18ft tin though.

7. Member
    https://www.daysboatsales.com/defaul...=xNewInventory

This boat is a hair over 29K without a trolling motor or any electronics. My 2017 RT has about every option available minus a power pole and jack plate. It came with HDS 7's, Smart Craft Tach, & cover for right at 30 OTD.

The question is are the pad hull and glass boxes worth the extra money to you?

When you reach $30,000 for a boat you are approaching the cost of the smaller fiberglass rigs so why not go for all fiberglass and not just the boxes and console and get way more storage the the aluminum rigs.

I priced a Bass Cat Margay September of last year with a 115hp and it came in just below $33,000. The 115hp will move this boat nicely but if you want to go really fast you can bump up to a 150hp. The Margay Vision Tour package comes nicely equipped.

Standard Features

Two (2) Hummingbird Helix 7 Sonar Units
    Minn Kota Maxxum 70 - 42"
    Perko Latches
    Integrated SS Ladder in Deck
    Windscreen
    750 GPH Bilge Pump w/Auto
    Aeration & Pump Out Feature - Pull Aerator Head Oper.
    26 Gallons of Fuel
    Two Fold Down Seats
    Quicksilver Matched Analog Gauge Package
    Center Rod Storage w/Tackle access below
    One Rod Bungee at Bow
    Ice Chest Cooler
    24oz Carpet
    Black Pinstripe
    3 blade propeller - Fury is an upgrade
    Sea Star Steering
    8in Jack Plate (Slidemaster)
    6X Steering Wheel
    Interactive Digital Panel
    Master Power Switch at Dash
    Automatic Bilge
    Matching Agauge Dress Rings color coded Alumn.
    Trim Gauge
    Four Cleats
    Foam Filled Stringer System

https://www.basscat.com/boats/page/10/margay
    Last edited by Grizzly; 02-16-2019 at 05:55 AM.

9. Member
    I think my old Sabre FTD was the 3rd built? Anyway, it was one of the first ones. I kept that boat for a while. I went to buy a motorcycle from Sherm and ended up buying a used Cougar LOL. I kept that one even longer. I may still have either of those if not for the dang garage issues moving all around for work. I think I am done moving around for work and we have bought what we hope to be our last home. The glass boats have their place, no doubt about that. If I were to by another the Cat would be my first stop.

I will leave for Florida this afternoon via a stop in Atlanta to pick up a buddy. I should be fishing Stick Marsh all next week. We started this (spending a week down there) maybe 13 years ago? I started saying fishing those stump filled lakes all I needed was about what I have now. I got tired of worrying about my boat bounce off a dock while I launched alone here at home. At 58 years old I just want something light weight on the trailer and simple. While the Margay will do OK with he 115 I know I would always yearn for the 150. I've had both a 150 and a 175 on my old Sabre. Even 25 HP can make a difference on a pad boat.

I was a hair under 30 OTD on my RT188. A new Sabre FTD with everything I have on my boat was will into the 40's. I carry the same chit in my RT188 that I carried in my 20' Cougar. Literally unloaded it from the Cougar into the RT at the dealership. It's not like these modern aluminum boats lack storage. I DID lose the nice cushioned ride in rougher water of the Cat. Both Cats were superb hulls. I've taken this RT places where I struggled to take those hulls. It just glides through shallow water flipping bushes etc...

I will also admit the semi vee hulled RT is harder to get off stumps than my old glass rigs. One of my trips down to the Stick Marsh was a year where the water was real low and it seemed like I drove up on stumps every few mins. That shallow draft flatter bottom gets stuck. It's no big deal cranking up the big motor if needed and backing off. No worries about scratching the hull. I'm not one to worry about where I take my boat. We are taking my buddies brand spankin new 520L this year. He will worry about scratches LOL.

Anyhow, the Margay would be more than capable in the deep clear East TN lakes. I'm not sure how close to 33K you'll be by time you start adding all the stuff you really want plus taxes etc...?

I did get to see a RT188 last weekend up close. They are really nice and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. Ranger stands behind their product and have been around for a long time. Ranger does have a great deal right now where you get a free cover which is heavy duty. I think they are a $550 option. I'll get to see the Vexus boats next week at a show. I am sure they are nice but they are new and have yet to be proven both from reliability and after purchase support. Everyone that has one now loves them. Only time will tell how they do against the established brands.

It comes down to is what is the best boat for you. Right now my Grizzly 1860 is a great boat for me because my local reservoir is sick with stumps. I can't see getting a new rig only to tear it up. Plus a lot of the ramps here in NJ are just gravel with no docks so pulling the boat up on shore is the only option when launching. I couldn't see dragging a RT188 or Vexus up on a gravel bank.

Both boats are not cheap and I wouldn't make a decision until I rode in both from the console and the trolling motor. I had a pad aluminum boat many years ago and it was great when you were at the console but the stability at rest really sucked. That's why I have a flat bottom boat now since most of my time is spent up front. I am sure the newer boats have figured out how to fix the stability issue.

Good luck with your purchase.

11. Member
    Vexus all the way. Better engineered, better built, and a better company standing behind the product.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    Vexus all the way. Better engineered, better built, and a better company standing behind the product.
    kinda hard to say such a thing when they have only been out for a year...............let's see what owners say in a few years. I'm sure not much negative, because they do look to be a well thought out and made boat for sure!

13. Member
    The Vexus I looked at appeared to be put together very well. Better engineered? I guess the transom is better built from a heavy duty stand point. The top cap looked to be pretty much a direct copy of the Ranger sans glass compartments vs aluminum or a heavy duty drop in. The bottom is a pad vs a semi vee...personal preference. The aluminum is the same thickness sans the transom. The welds looked to be great on both brands. I agree, I can't say the Vexus is "better built." You are paying for the low volume and a few other plush touches. They are both premium aluminum boats. I don't want carpet in my boat. The rawhide interior was a 500+ option in my Ranger. I am not sure how much it would cost in the Vexus?

I still think everyone should get in as many hulls as they possibly can and buy what they think fits their needs at that time. If the OP is close to Watsons he has a great dealer that carries both brands. They also carry Triton and Pheonix if I am not mistaken. It's been my experience the servicing dealer can make or break a warranty claim, at the very least make it MUCH less painful.

14. Member

better livewells

better rear storage boxes

better rear battery compartment

better cockpit panel controls setup

boarding ladder standard

just to name a few, they just seem to be way more refined, with better features, fit and finish.

15. Member
    Of the 2 boats the OP mentioned I would buy the Vexus.

I am a former owner of a RT 188, which was a great boat, never had one single issue on mine during 3 years of ownership. But me personally if I were buying new today I would go after the Lund "Rivited" 18 ft. bass boat that they came out with a couple years ago. I've seen too many threads on broken or damaged welds from all brands. I'd take a Rivited hull over a welded any day. Again thats just my Opinion.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    Of the 2 boats the OP mentioned I would buy the Vexus.

I am a former owner of a RT 188, which was a great boat, never had one single issue on mine during 3 years of ownership. But me personally if I were buying new today I would go after the Lund "Rivited" 18 ft. bass boat that they came out with a couple years ago. I've seen too many threads on broken or damaged welds from all brands. I'd take a Rivited hull over a welded any day. Again thats just my Opinion.
    I've owned 2 Alumacrafts, both riveted, and they are a beast! Built like a tank with that 2XB hull! NEVER EVER had a rivet come loose!

17. Member
    I remember you had an Alumacraft that was similar to the LUnd pro v bass in layout/design. Did you sell that boat or trade? It was very nicely laid out for fishing.

Most of the big water aluminum boats are Rivited, I have to believe there is a reason for that.

The Vexus AVX 1880 I looked at had an Ultrex, 2 9” birds, sea star hydro steering, 115 pro xs with a grey lower unit, 4” c channel trailer, matching fiberglass fenders, and a few more things for $33 k and some change. It was right next to a RT188. Both looked like great boats. It just depends what style boat you want. The owner of the dealership stressed the Vexus is heavy. Both would be great boats from I saw. Just don’t expect to run over 45 mph and you are good.

19. Member
    Even lunds are welded along the main keel.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelly View Post
    Even lunds are welded along the main keel.
    Alumacraft 2XB hulls are a one piece hull, no weld or rivets! They then rivet a separate keel on it

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast