Question using heading sensor from ultrex blue tooth

if you have a helix mega g3 can you use the heading sensor from the ultrex

2. Member
    Yes

3. Banned
    I have tried this on both Gn3 Helix and a Solix. I have found the heading sensor only works when the trolling motor is deployed on the Solix. On the Helix bow unit it works great but on the Console unit it seems to lose some accuracy when the motor is stowed. No there is no magnetic interference. A guy in our club has magnetic interference when stowed and the line goes sideway on his helix.

I called HB support and they didn't seem to know for sure exactly how all of this should work.

If you are using it on a bow unit its a good addition. I won't be losing the wired version anytime soon though.

4. Member
    It would have to be a Link model Ultrex and with the newest software update ver 1.26 to the Ultrex. Haven't had a chance to check accuracy though.

Checked the accuracy today and guess I was lucky. Only noticed about a 2-3 degree difference in course and heading. That would vary boat to boat depending on installation of the Heading Sensor. I did notice it took about 30seconds to stabilize between course and heading. But no more donuts at slow speeds. The only thing I wasn't sure of is the Heading Line didn't seem to appear until after I was moving. Guess you've got be moving to show a heading though.
    Last edited by ezfishn; 02-20-2019 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Added comments on testing
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

5. Member
    If you put the Minn Kota HS up front by the trolling motor and have the motor stowed that puts a giant magnet right next to it. That is magnetic interference in Spades! Put it somewhere else or don't use it except when the trolling motor is in the water. Bob
    Also the trolling motor needs to be powered up to put the signal on Ethernet.