Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need help picking a new braided line

Ok guys so a little background I have used power pro for years and now I want to try something new. What does everyone here use for a casting braid and what does everyone use on there spinning rods.

2. Member
    I use power pro pretty much exclusively. Have also tried suffix 832 and it handles well, but man does that stuff bleed it’s color all over your hands and gear. It actually left a greenish tint on a few of my reels.

3. Member
    I am going to be trying some of the new Berkley x9 braid.
    Semper Fi

4. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    THIS IS BEST I EVER USED !

I've been very impressed with the new Daiwa J-Braid Grand. I'm a huge fan of Daiwa Samurai Braid, but this J-Braid Grand is great stuff.

6. Member
    Up until last year all I used was 832 and believed it was the best for the money. Until I put p line tcb8 through the paces, and found it was just as strong and abrasion resistant, but much smoother, quieter, held its color, and casted further.

7. Member
    Sunline FX2 casting, SX1 Spinning for me.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    Up until last year all I used was 832 and believed it was the best for the money. Until I put p line tcb8 through the paces, and found it was just as strong and abrasion resistant, but much smoother, quieter, held its color, and casted further.
    Thrift uses TCB8 and he gets access to the entire line. Must be good stuff...

9. Member
    It’s pretty expensive, but Vicious No-Fade Braid is the best braid I have used. I used to love Suffix 832 but it lost its color so quickly. I have been using the same spool of the Vicious for well over a year and it still looks like new. I’ve never had any issues with it digging in, it’s very abrasion resistant, and I have not broken a fish off yet. I love it and can’t see me going to another line anytime soon.

10. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Sufix 832 does lose its color rather quickly in the green color, haven’t tried the camo yet.

Other than the Daiwa j braid, I haven’t found a braid that casts and holds knots as well as 832.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

11. Member
    Try the vicious no fade braid. It is expensive but well worth it. Even the lighter lb test don’t ding in on casting reels. I have had some for over a year and not even a hint of fade.

12. Member
    Fins 40 g is the best braid Ive ever seen. Smooth as silk its AMAZING

13. Member
    10# Sufix Ghost on a panfish spinning rod. 30# Sufix 832 (green) on a MH W&J spinning rod. Samurai is very supple. Had 40# Sufix Performance on a casting reel for a few years. Fades pretty quickly to a greenish-white. Had to change it out after a day of fishing a 3/4 oz. saltwater spoon tied direct due to line twist. The 40# Original PowerPro I purchased to replace it (was in Florida so stuck with Walmart to purchase new line) was much noisier thru the guides. Kind of stiff, too.

Trying 60# Fins PRT on a frog rod. Like it so far. Also trying Fins 45# 40G but sadly only got out once with it last year. Picked up some Fins Windtamer to try on a spinning rod, but not spooled yet.

Which is best is hard for me to say. Sufix braid has been good, but am liking the little I've been able to use Fins. Samurai is expensive, but is very supple and the 55# I am using has handled very well on my casting reel.

I am thinking I will stay with Fins if it continue to impress. I don't use a lot of it, but will always have a few reels with braid.

14. Member
    Berkley Nanofil for spinning application, it's great stuff

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    It’s pretty expensive, but Vicious No-Fade Braid is the best braid I have used. I used to love Suffix 832 but it lost its color so quickly. I have been using the same spool of the Vicious for well over a year and it still looks like new. I’ve never had any issues with it digging in, it’s very abrasion resistant, and I have not broken a fish off yet. I love it and can’t see me going to another line anytime soon.
    No fade braid is legit

16. Member
    Sufix 832 Braid Ghost -

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fisherboy61 View Post
    Ok guys so a little background I have used power pro for years and now I want to try something new. What does everyone here use for a casting braid and what does everyone use on there spinning rods.
    Why change? The best and smoothest I have ever used is Power Pro Slick 8. If there is a smoother line I'd love to know because i haven't found it. Everything else feels like rope compared to slick 8. I'm interested in hearing others thoughts

18. Member
    I've used several brands and last year used 832. It handled great but like others have said it lost its color within the first few weeks of use fading from dark green to damn near white. Might have to look into the no fade braid.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Bob71 View Post
    I've used several brands and last year used 832. It handled great but like others have said it lost its color within the first few weeks of use fading from dark green to damn near white. Might have to look into the no fade braid.
    Although my Performance turned almost white it did not leave green on my reel. Nor did it change my chances of catching fish on it because of the color change....that I know of. Hope not as I have Ghost on a spinning reel and on one baitcast reel. I don't expect the white Ghost to fade.

20. Member
    Daiwa Samurai has consistently been my braid of choice for both casting and spinning. But, recently I have been evaluating Maxima Braid 8 for casting and I am impressed. As they state on their website:

"In order to ensure a high-strength connection as well as a sensitive contact to the fish, Maxima Braid 8 is pre-stretched and heat-fixed - a critical step many other brands overlook."

I exchanged emails with the and was pleased with their responses/responsiveness. The green does fade, but does not bleed. The yellow does not fade or bleed.

Regards,

Doc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast