Amps on HDS Lives

So I am guessing my multi meter is wrong?

With two 12s running I am reading .20 amps on the wire, thought it would be much more.
    Boatless

are you putting the meter inline and have the leads in the correct orientation? have you tried to measure current in another circuit to verify?

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    are you putting the meter inline and have the leads in the correct orientation? have you tried to measure current in another circuit to verify?
    Leads are correct, metering each side of the breaker. I have not tried another circuit yet.
    Boatless

4. Member
    You have to read current with either a clamp on or break the circuit and put your meter inline.

5. Member
    I think this means your meter is carrying .2 amps in parallel with the breaker. Measure the voltage across the breaker with the full load on. A breaker or fuse has to drop some voltage to work, it can't sense current without a voltage drop.
    As said above, disconnect one wire from the breaker, select 10 amps on your meter, put the Positive lead in the 10 Amp meter hole, the other end on the feeding wire, use the Negative lead to complete the circuit.
    Don't forget to change the meter back when you're done, it's a direct short when hooked to 10 Amps.

Now I understand, gonna be hard to do that with my meter. I am going to pickup one of those clamp meters.
    Thanks for the explanation.
    Boatless

You wont get a good reading on dc with a clamp on unless its a real good one. Just put the meter in line- its no big deal.

https://www.electronics-notes.com/ar...re-current.php

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    You wont get a good reading on dc with a clamp on unless its a real good one. Just put the meter in line- its no big deal.

https://www.electronics-notes.com/ar...re-current.php
    I didn't know that was a limitation, I will need to buy leads with clamps then.
    Thanks
    Boatless

9. Member
    You could buy a couple of testing leads with clips on each end - I'd point you to radio shack, but we all know how that's turned out. Or you can find alligator clip adapters for most standard multimeter probes - they just push over the end of your probe.

I bought this kit not too long ago:
    https://www.amazon.com/Electrical-Mu...st+leads&psc=1

Or at Home Depot you can find these: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-To...9418/206825567

Quote Originally Posted by nojretlas View Post
    I didn't know that was a limitation, I will need to buy leads with clamps then.
    Thanks
    You can wrap the wires around the leads. Thats why they have the little nub at the end. Sorry anout trying to save you money here- seems like you just dont want to read that current cause you have what you need in hand

Got the info....2.1 with ducers, 1.45 without
    Boatless