Banned

Maintenence QuestionHydraulic Steering

Several years ago not sure how many years ago. I had a NCSU friend change my cable to hydraulic steer system. After 2 years I had a fluid line get loose and fixed that with no problem. Today while running down the lake I felt a skipping action while making a slight turn. When returning home I checked to find fluid reservoir low and as a result I believed air in the steering lines was cause of my earlier concern today. Enough back ground now my question is using proper procedures I added Hydraulic fluid to the steering column reservoir. I assume, and we all know about assuming, hydraulic fluid is OK instead of steering fluid or does it not make a difference?

2. Member
    Better tell us what kind of hydraulic fluid. I use the power steering and trim/tilt marine fluid from Walmart, it's convenient and so far it has worked for a couple of years for me.

From the SeaStar website:

What kind of oil should I use in my SeaStar system?

Recommended oils for your steering system are: SeaStar Fluid, P/N HA5430 (1 quart), HA5440 (1 gallon). The following brands are acceptable: ChevronŽ Aviation Hydraulic Fluid A, EssoŽ Univis N15 or J13, MobilŽ Aero HFA, Petro Canada Harmony HV115 (in Canada only), ShellŽ Aero Fluid #41, TexacoŽ HO15*and other fluids meeting MIL SPEC H-5606-G.

Automatic transmission fluid (Dexron IIŽ) may be used in an emergency. Never use brake fluid. Any non-approved fluid may cause irreparable damage, loss of steering, and cancellation of warranty.

In cases of extreme emergency any nontoxic, nonflammable fluid may provide temporary steering.

3. Banned
    billnorman1 the hydraulic fluid brand name is Shield. I guess the type is AW 32 Premium hydraulic fluid.

4. Banned
    I would not use regular hydraulic fluid. It's way too heavy a weight.