Banned

Hydraulic Steering Maintenance Question

Several years ago not sure how many years ago. I had a NCSU friend change my cable to hydraulic steer system. After 2 years I had a fluid line get loose and fixed that with no problem. Today while running down the lake I felt a skipping action while making a slight turn. When returning home I checked to find fluid reservoir low and as a result I believed air in the steering lines was cause of my earlier concern today. Enough back ground now my question is using proper procedures I added Hydraulic fluid to the steering column reservoir. I assume, and we all know about assuming, hydraulic fluid is OK instead of steering fluid or does it not make a difference?

2. Member
    You might have had the motor trimmed too high.
    From the SeaStar website:

What kind of oil should I use in my SeaStar system?

Recommended oils for your steering system are: SeaStar Fluid, P/N HA5430 (1 quart), HA5440 (1 gallon). The following brands are acceptable: ChevronŽ Aviation Hydraulic Fluid A, EssoŽ Univis N15 or J13, MobilŽ Aero HFA, Petro Canada Harmony HV115 (in Canada only), ShellŽ Aero Fluid #41, TexacoŽ HO15*and other fluids meeting MIL SPEC H-5606-G.

Automatic transmission fluid (Dexron IIŽ) may be used in an emergency. Never use brake fluid. Any non-approved fluid may cause irreparable damage, loss of steering, and cancellation of warranty.

In cases of extreme emergency any nontoxic, nonflammable fluid may provide temporary steering

3. Member
    I would drain it and refill with proper fluid. Hyd Steering problems are not something you want to have when running.

4. Banned
    Yeah 201pro I think that is the smartest thing to do. I returned today from the lake where I noticed my steering concerns and topped off the fluid reservoir with the Shield AW 32 hydraulic fluid I had here at home. I only added the fluid, turned the steering wheel as far left and right as it would go to rid the system of possible air and capped the system. Now to find the best place to open up the system to drain off the existing fluid. I'll figure that out it can't be that hard to find and do.

5. Member
    If you drain it you will have to bleed it. Bleeding is not all that hard but must be done properly or you will really have issues that will make your situation now seem like child's play.
    I don't think draining the system is recommended.

6. Banned
    Thanks guys. Now I am a bit confused here with all you guys suggestions. First off I am not real sure what the type of fluid we added to the reservoir of the Sea Star unit steering unit. I have seen no signs of leakage anywhere but I had to top off the reservoir and I had the Shield AW 32 hydraulic fluid. As suggested drain and refill with known correct fluid then bleed system.