Banned

Hydraulic Steering Maintenance Question

Several years ago not sure how many years ago. I had a NCSU friend change my cable to hydraulic steer system. After 2 years I had a fluid line get loose and fixed that with no problem. Today while running down the lake I felt a skipping action while making a slight turn. When returning home I checked to find fluid reservoir low and as a result I believed air in the steering lines was cause of my earlier concern today. Enough back ground now my question is using proper procedures I added Hydraulic fluid to the steering column reservoir. I assume, and we all know about assuming, hydraulic fluid is OK instead of steering fluid or does it not make a difference?

2. Member
    Sure, any mineral oil based hydraulic fluid will work. There may be a slight difference in vioscosity, so it MAY just feel a bit stiffer when it's really cold, but I doubt you'll notice it. Don't use break fluid.

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

3. Banned
    This hydraulic fluid, I added around a half pint, doesn't have whether a mineral based or not. I believe it is. My concerns with this fluid is that it may damaging seals and or "O" rings. I was searching to find out how I might drain the existing fluid and refill and bleed system. I know may not.
    Last edited by Heelman99; 02-15-2019 at 09:59 AM.

4. Banned
    Thanks bbc'ers. I'll figure it out while the weather is nasty.

5. Banned
    This is from the Seastar site.

Recommended oils for your steering system are;
    SeaStar Hydraulic Fluid, part# HA5430
    Texaco HO15
    Shell Aero 4
    Esso Univis N15
    Chevron Aviation Fluid A
    Mobil Aero HFA
    Fluids meeting Mil H5606C specifications.
    Automatic transmission fluid Dexron II may be used in an emergency.
    Never use brake fluid. Any non-approved fluid may cause irreparable damage, loss of steering, and cancellation of warranty.

In cases of extreme emergency any non-toxic, non-flammable fluid may provide temporary steering.

Check the bottle you used and see if if meets those specs.

6. Banned
    I will add that when filling the resovoir and it looks full, turn your steering wheel as sharp as it will go both ways a couple times. Just as far as it will go to the port and starboard sides. When you remove the fill cap you should see it appears to have gone down. Add some more to fill it back up. Repeat procedure until after you do several sharp turns with it and it remains full. Always keep your cylinders at the front of your motor greased with a high quality water resistant grease. I use Seastar fluid on mine since it is a Seastar system on my boat. You can google this procedure and find out just about anything you need to know on youtube. You can also visit/post on the boat brand forum you have or the motor forum and get some good info. Using the right fluid and working your steering wheel to make sure it is filled up is important. If you check it latter, 3 or 4 trips or so, and it is low again, you may have a leak from a seal which should be visiable. Just my 2 cents from what experience i have had. Great post/info from bullet20vee. Good luck.

7. Banned
    Thanks guys. Keith I also found that info on the SeaStar Solutions site thanks again. I did locate signs fluid seepage at a seal on the cylinder and have the seals ordered along with prescribed hydraulic steering fluid.

thanks for the info.....I was hoping I didn't need to bleed the system.....as soon as it warms around here I will try adding some fluid.

Allen
    911 Bass Anglers
    Bucks County PA

9. Banned
    Yep allen656 as I am also waiting for a little warmer temps. Found signs of a slight seeping fluid at port side cylinder seal of my Teleflex SeaStar hydraulic steering system and therefore ordered a set of cylinder seals and proper steering hydraulic fluid. Upon receiving these ordered items I will begin installation of seals and fill and bleeding of fluid.

10. Banned
    What did he do to get banned this time? He's on a roll with that.