Insurance Claim on Champion (questions)

I’m the orginal owner of a 2004 Champion 198 Elite DC. Last year I took my son out on the Potomac and hit some pretty nasty wakes on our way back from a day on the river. I didn’t notice at first but when washing the boat a few days later, I found a 3-4 inch crack in the port side rear top just prior to the transom. I took the boat into the shop for some engine maintenance a month later and an additional crack was found near the throttle lever. That crack is about 6 inches long. I take great care of my boat and its super clean - I never had cracks in the boat prior to this. Other than those 2 cracks my boat looks darn close to the day I picked it up from the dealer. Since then the crack on the port side rear has almost tripled in size and is now 12-14 inches long. I haven’t really noticed if the crack near the throttle lever has gotten any larger.

I got an estimate for the repair and called Progressive today and without looking at the boat was told the cracks are cosmetic and not covered. How should I handle this? I realize the cracks are in the top of the boat and not going to cause the boat to leak. If the cracks get larger each time I hit a wake at what point are they not cosmetic? I have full coverage on the boat and $0 deductable. At this point if I sell the boat how much value is going to be lost with a clearly visible crack in the boat? UGH —- I hate insurance companies.
    Last edited by R1Peacock; 02-14-2019 at 01:58 PM.
    Rich
    Westminster, Maryland
    Champion 198 Elite DC / Yamaha VMax

pictures?
    1995 CHAMPION 171 DC

It may be hard to see in this pic. This is the 1st day I noticed it. Its now extended on the inside about 14 inches further towards the front and goes across the top almost down to the rubrail. I’ve only used the boat 1 time since noticing the crack and it was a calm day. I can’t imagine what its going to look like after hitting wakes on the Potomac at 60+ mph this year. If Progressive won’t pay for it now what will they say when the estimate is double or more because the crack extends up to the middle of the boat.

330CF24C-DC9B-44F1-98E4-B314F4DB1DD9.jpeg
    Rich
    Westminster, Maryland

Stress cracks are like zits on a prom date, you don't want em there but not much you can do about em.

You can fix em but they'll come back.

5. Member
    Don't go hitting wakes at 60+

6. Member
    That looks like a crack. I'm sure you are going to pay out of your pocket. It looks like a design deficiency, manufacturing defect or prior repair that's done wrong. It could also be your top cap is loose from the hull. I doubt Progressive gets off a dime, you need to see a fiberglass repair place to get a rock solid diagnosis.

The boat wake comment at 60 was a figure of speech.... You get out on the Potomac and get caught in the wind or a storm and its like the Great Lakes — there is no avoiding slamming the hull some days. Funny you say prior repair - the fiberglass guy that looked at it said the same thing. He said it looked like the area was reworked at the factory because he could see halos in the glass work if you know what to look for.
    Rich
    Westminster, Maryland

8. Member
    I would run it and not worry about it.

9. Black Hills Energy Collin C.'s Avatar
    Put a mark on the ends with a permanent black marker. Watch them to see if they are growing. I would run it and just keep and eye on things.
    Bass Cat
    Eyra 300xs

10. Member
    Unfortunately, if you fish long enough, they are going to appear from flexing of the hull. If you're wanting them fixed, they need to drill holes at the end of each crack prior to repairs. This will stop the cracks from "running". If they get too bad, could be something causing them, loose stringer etc. Not likely though, if it's in the shape you say it is.
    Champion 206
    250XB

11. Member
    My 201 has similar stress cracks in the same area. But they arent as noticeable as my boat has a red top cap. They were there when I bought the boat. 5 years and alot of hammering waves later, they haven't gotten any worse...knock on wood...

12. Banned
    Never heard of a stress crack being that long. For peace of mind I would have it inspected to make sure they are just stress cracks in the gel and something more serious. If it does turn out to be a serious issue file a claim with a copy of the inspection.

If it is just stress cracks in the gel it won't effect the value of the boat they all get them.

13. Member
    Just a reminder check your motor & jackplate bolts.

14. Member
    also under/behind the rope rub rail you can tighten screws that become loose over time
    if a few become loose there is a little play in the hull and topcap
    the corners and bow need to be looked at

15. Member
    I don't feel it's an insurance thing. My fiberglass man compared boats to egg shells once said they just flex and crack. I know when we keep our boats in great shape it sucks but rough water will do it.

16. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SCOTT196 View Post
    I would run it and not worry about it.
    Me too and I'm super OCD.....

17. Moderator
    Care to show any full size pics of the boat? I love 198's.....

Quote Originally Posted by dukhntr View Post
    Not trashing anything. I liked my champions. But they lacked fishability hard core. My 198 fished well, but my 186 and 181 did not.....Matter of fact I don't know of a more unstable fishing boat......
    He wants to see pics of your boat that lacks fishability "hard core"...... most unstable fishing boats he's ever seen!

19. Member
    Those are gel coat cracks and not fiberglass cracks. Big difference. As the boat flexes the gel coat doesn't and will have those minor cracks and as your insurance said, it is cosmetic. I'm the 3rd owner of my Champ and unfortunately I have some of those, that's how I know what they are, because I asked too. Keep fishing and just keep an eye of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Star Cajun View Post
    Those are gel coat cracks and not fiberglass cracks. Big difference. As the boat flexes the gel coat doesn't and will have those minor cracks and as your insurance said, it is cosmetic. I'm the 3rd owner of my Champ and unfortunately I have some of those, that's how I know what they are, because I asked too. Keep fishing and just keep an eye of them.
    1st post!!!

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles