Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    25,000 jobs in one location, paying 150k per?? I call BS.
    Let's all realize, that $150,000 per year in New York isn't the same as $150,000 somewhere else. It costs a lot more to live there.

If they were going to bring in 25,000 jobs, not only are those gone, but all the peripheral stuff is history. Restaurants, nail salons, bars, all the stuff that would support the area. These places also feed the economy and the tax coffers. I just heard that NY is 2.8 billion short and Andy went to DC with his palm out. I'm not a rocket surgeon, but since Amazon isn't going away anytime soon they would have possibly brought more in to the state then they were getting.

God! I'm glad I never went back.

Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    If they were going to bring in 25,000 jobs, not only are those gone, but all the peripheral stuff is history. Restaurants, nail salons, bars, all the stuff that would support the area. These places also feed the economy and the tax coffers. I just heard that NY is 2.8 billion short and Andy went to DC with his palm out. I'm not a rocket surgeon, but since Amazon isn't going away anytime soon they would have possibly brought more in to the state then they were getting.

God! I'm glad I never went back.

25,000 people with a good paying job will buy groceries, home goods, cars, houses, etc contributing to the state and local tax base and general economy.

Just think about 25,000 jobs being lost and how the local economy loses. How many Lowes and Home Depot's do you need if no one is remodeling or building a new deck, etc?
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post
    My city brought in Bell helicopters like this. They failed to produce what they said they would and we pulled the incentives.
    Yep, you don't hit the marks, you don't get the incentives. It's not a giveaway.

5. Member
    Was in Manhattan in December, they don’t have a people shortage.
    It’s their state, their city, their tax dollars. NYC decided, no freebies.
    Look at the bright side, your cities can call up and ask them out.

And, FWIW, they weren’t banned from building there, not even close.
    They just weren’t gifted a nice package of free taxpayer funds.
    Since they opted out due to it, must have been a slanted deal, eh??

Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Was in Manhattan in December, they don’t have a people shortage.
    It’s their state, their city, their tax dollars. NYC decided, no freebies.
    Look at the bright side, your cities can call up and ask them out.

And, FWIW, they weren’t banned from building there, not even close.
    They just weren’t gifted a nice package of free taxpayer funds.
    Since they opted out due to it, must have been a slanted deal, eh??
    I agree, no need to provide jobs for a community that doesn't want you there.

And they aren't free taxpayer funds, you're smart enough to know that.

7. Member
    GE promised 800 jobs and construction of a huge new building in Boston , they took millions now they are saying 250 jobs no new building ... they have to pay back incentive money now .... they lie with hirings and salarys ...this was anounced today
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by av View Post
    GE promised 800 jobs and construction of a huge new building in Boston , they took millions now they are saying 250 jobs no new building ... they have to pay back incentive money now .... they lie with hirings and salarys ...this was anounced today
    I wonder if CA will be held to this same standard with the money given to them to build the phantom train route.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MSranger View Post
    The far left & AOC went after Amazon in a big negative way, so Amazon and its over 25k jobs said they would go elsewhere. High taxes, unfriendly government etc.. and people and companies that can will go elsewhere. A big loss for Long Island.
    I thought the blurbs attributed to AOC were fake news. I just listened to her on the news. She is as stupid as purported. She thinks they can use the money that was supposed to go for tax breaks for Amazon, to hire more teachers.

10. Member
    Amazon fears backlash over recent laws passed in N.Y.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by av View Post
    Doesn’t sound nefarious.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/boston....achusetts/amp/

12. Member
    I bet a lot of real estate speculators took a bath once they cancelled the HQ.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    And they aren't free taxpayer funds, you're smart enough to know that.
    Whatever Amazon doesn’t pay, has to be covered by someone else.
    Why should they get a tax discount when Bob’s Pizza won’t ever get one?
    Again, no one stopped them from building there. Not even for a minute.
    It’s very telling that they opted out when the subsidies went away.
    I’d like to live to see the day lobbying and corporate welfare is no more.

14. Member
    Good for Andy...let's see...safe act caused all the gun manufacturers to leave NY...lost jobs and tax dollars... now Amazon decides to go somewhere else. More jobs and opportunities lost. Can't fix stupid.

15. Member
    States were competing for the HQ. It sounds like some in NY were not thrilled with the process that provided the subsidies. I guess my feeling is that NY put an offer out there to get the HQ and then they decided that it wasn't worth the subsidies. If you boil it down to its simplest terms it is just a real estate deal where both parties walked away. Miami is making a push for the new HQ but there is no way they will get it given the low education level and quality of workers down there.

16. Member
    Wasn’t NJ offering $7B in incentives?

17. Member
    Same old story In NY. A few years ago, cuomo promised up and down a new nanotechnology manufacturing facility was to be built in Utica and the facility would become the Silicone Valley of the east. It was going to be on the same grounds as the college I went to. The college built a new building and hired new staff specifically to teach nanotech engineering. They built new roads and started building housing developments for high income families. Long story short because Cuomo lied about tax cuts and government funding to help start the facility, the nanotech owners backed out claiming they’ll never do business in NY ever again and they’ll advise all tech companies to do the same.

and for those saying 150k a year isn’t a lot for Ny have not spent any time in CNY or north country. It’s one of the lowest income areas around. Average household income is only 43k here. Increases when you go towards Albany or Buffalo. Everywhere in between is just forgotten land and people
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

18. Bob G's pool boy
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    I bet a lot of real estate speculators took a bath once they cancelled the HQ.
    Richard Christy is no longer a millionaire. Good thing he saves all his Charred Walls Of The Damned money.
    Last edited by billspence; 02-14-2019 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Why did they ever take that Geico “Hump Day” commercial off the air?

"I am going to Eufala to just idle around"
    -Haus

***NEW*** 2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4 cause I am such a baller.
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s with a bent ass trailer
    HDS16 live- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 live W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

Instagram @brettcarnright. Teamviewer: bCarnrite@33

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Same old story In NY. A few years ago, cuomo promised up and down a new nanotechnology manufacturing facility was to be built in Utica and the facility would become the Silicone Valley of the east. It was going to be on the same grounds as the college I went to. The college built a new building and hired new staff specifically to teach nanotech engineering. They built new roads and started building housing developments for high income families. Long story short because Cuomo lied about tax cuts and government funding to help start the facility, the nanotech owners backed out claiming they’ll never do business in NY ever again and they’ll advise all tech companies to do the same.

and for those saying 150k a year isn’t a lot for Ny have not spent any time in CNY or north country. It’s one of the lowest income areas around. Average household income is only 43k here. Increases when you go towards Albany or Buffalo. Everywhere in between is just forgotten land and people
    In the last 6 months I have been dealing with more NY and NJ Title agents that have been getting registered in Florida to do deals down here. People are leaving and they are taking their money and investments with them. I just hope it doesn't get so bad that they end up moving the NYSE to another state.

20. Member
    Because small business already receives a bit of a break from corporate taxes in NY. Bobs Pizza also isnt employing 25,000 people and bringing in BILLIONS in tax revenue.

But let me get this right. Just to make sure I understand......
    If someone came up to you and wanted to give you $1000, you would turn them down because he wanted $300 of it back??????????

Certain groups of people are so damned short sighted. Their jealosy of someone else making piles of money makes them think they should get a cut of that pie. Then when they get offered a slice they turn it down because now they want half of the pie. Of course they say they will share their half of the pie with who they decide also deserves to get a taste. (Yeah sure they will...)

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast