Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I’ve always towed in neutral

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

2. Member
    What's wrong with a spinning prop?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by toofy View Post
    What's wrong with a spinning prop?
    The propeller turns the output shaft which has two seals on it. The inner seal might be protected by a film of oil but the outer seal should not be cooled or lubricated. If you drag metal dry with rubber eventually the rubber melts.
    It doesn't have to happen, but if your prop spins it could.

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    The propeller turns the output shaft which has two seals on it. The inner seal might be protected by a film of oil but the outer seal should not be cooled or lubricated. If you drag metal dry with rubber eventually the rubber melts.
    It doesn't have to happen, but if your prop spins it could.
    May not get hot enough to melt; but dry metal spinning against dry rubber equals premature failure of the rubber !! Then throw in some road grit for added abrasion and -- well you get the picture.

5. Member
    Did he shift it without the engine running? That is a big no-no on any size or brand engine.

6. Member
    Just load the boat and put it in Neutral. Man people over think things! I have been towing boats for over 30 years this way with no lower unit failures or need to do a reseal etc. SO REST EASY.

7. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    The reasoning, as 250BassFL and Billnorman1 said, is that the outer seal; which in the water has a lubricant, is now spinning on a dry prop while being towed. I had never heard this so I wanted to see what you guys had to say. I know the prop wasn’t spinning on the interstate while I was behind him.

Like most in here, the only time I’ve seen a spinning prop is on pontoons with aluminum props, but the question intrigued me.

I would think the angle of a properly stowed engine keeps a SS prop out of the wind while being towed but it’s not something I’d ever thought about before.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

From the Mercury Optimax manual for 135/150/175 HP motors. Would think it applies to all Mercury outboards.
    http://marine-uae.ru/wp-content/uplo...2010199_50.pdf
    Page 21
    Transporting - Trailering Boat/Outboard
    Shift the Outboard to Forward gear. This prevents the propeller from spinning freely.
    Also shows a stick type motor toter. Better throw away those Motor Mates.

BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

9. Member
    Telling you to tow in gear and then saying not to shift without motor running contradicts itself. After all if you tow in gear you have to shift back into neutral before you start 😂. I tow in neutral and don’t worry about it.
    HMC USN RET
    2022 Falcon F195/Merc 200 and all the goodies I could get on it.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by donpilot View Post
    Did he shift it without the engine running? That is a big no-no on any size or brand engine.
    Huh?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by donpilot View Post
    this

I think in gear might make sense but not if you shift when motor is not running
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alann View Post
    Telling you to tow in gear and then saying not to shift without motor running contradicts itself. After all if you tow in gear you have to shift back into neutral before you start . I tow in neutral and don’t worry about it.
    and this is true as well:)

better leave it in neutral:)
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

Q. I wonder how much water is cooling that outer seal with the boat moving forward?
    A. Zero.

Q. Wonder how much faster it spins while going down the lake with no water to cool the outer seal due to exhaust flowing out than going down the highway spinning 30rpm at the most?
    A. A bunch

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

14. Member
    The exhaust contains a lot of water, in fact almost all the water comes out with exhaust. Also, it is not the shifting while not running, it is forcing the shift when the lugs are not lined up. Gently push lever forward, if it does not want to go STOP, then go back and move prop an inch or two and try again. When the lugs are lined up it will shift very easy with no harm. Taking it out of gear is a non issue. You must not force anything and chance bending something in the linkage. A little common sense goes a long way.
    Last edited by gehol; 02-15-2019 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    The exhaust contains a lot of water, in fact almost all the water comes out with exhaust. Also, it is not the shifting while not running, it is forcing the shift when the lugs are not lined up. Gently push lever forward, if it does not want to go STOP, then go back and move prop an inch or two and try again. When the lugs are lined up it will shift very easy with no harm. Taking it out of gear is a non issue. You must not force anything and chance bending something in the linkage. A little common sense goes a long way.
    A few things every boater should know..

Daymn, after 50 years of towing in neutral ———- something else to worry about——- or not.

Getting old sucks, too many things one has to remember,——- Now, put boat in neutral is on the list.

17. Member
    I normally tow in gear but, I don't think it really matters that much. When loading I generally shut down while in gear so it just stays that way. I am not sure if my prop will spin when towed in neutral.

New Mercury 175 Pro XS, manual tells me to tow in gear so I do.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by granite View Post
    Better to let it spin, as the air friction on a stationary propeller (one locked in gear) is, in general, much higher when compared with the synergy results obtained when the prop is allowed to spin. The study by Neville, Hodgkiess and Dallas [37] found the synergy for 2205 DSS eroded under laminar gas (air) jet impingement to be about 20 %, whereas the rotational vibratory cavitation (spinning) tests conducted by Wood and Hutton [38] showed S/T % values to be in the range of 30% to >60 % for various materials tested under 3 % NaCl solution such as grey cast iron, 1020 mild steel, 304 SS and copper alloys.
    that clears the matter up !!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

20. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I can say with 100% honesty I can never tell what questions I have will produce 1 answer and which will create 30!

I like the idea of leaving the engine in gear after loading it on the trailer. Now I can just see me going to start the engine and checking my kill switch, ignition switch, battery connection, etc before I figure out it won’t start because I left it in gear!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast