New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

tire rubbing on inside....

I just took my Carlilse off to replace with some Goodyear endurance I just bought,noticed the starboard tire has rub mark on the inside of tire facing trailer, this a 1990 Ranger trail should I think about replacing my leaf springs and such and about how much does that cost to do and would you do both sides even though only rubbing one one side? thanks in advance
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

2. Member
    If it's the leaf starting to sag it would be best to replace both leafs so it would ride level. A new one would probably raise the side that you have problems with now higher than the opposite side. I would call ranger and see what their price for a new set of leaf springs cost. Also get the axle rating and the eye to eye measurement for the spring they use as a replacement. You can then use the rating and measure to shop for other manufacturer springs from places off the web (ex: etrailer). Replacing the springs is not that hard if you have the tools and jacks for the job. If you don't have or want someone else to do it, a good tire store, front end/brake service shop could do this for you. Springs online would probably cost 25-60 per side depending on measurement and axle capacity. Then labor to have installed.

3. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Ranger couldn't give me eye to eye measurement they said it is a 4 leaf with 3 " bow for 48.05 a piece might try to look on etrailer and see how much difference there is in price but I don't want no china junk either...USA or nothing I measured eye to eye and I got 26 inches

4. Member
    The ones on e-trailer, I believe, are Chinese. I have a set on a utility trailer and they have been fine. Can't blame you for being picky with the boat. Some of the manufacturers that sell axles may have some USA made springs.

5. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I’m gonna check with Ranger tomorrow to see if there’s are from USA and I think I might just go ahead and order everyfrom Ranger to be safe

6. Member
    I 've ordered alot of parts from them. They are surprisingly fairly competitive on the prices. I've had good luck on getting parts for mine. One thing I have learned, ask them if it's instock before I order it.

7. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    The two springs I got from Ranger were made in Canada. Top Quality.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

8. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Should I replace the ubolts also when doing the springs and hangers and such?

9. Member
    I would do everything. Springs, Shackles, bolts and nylon bushings. Mine were all worn when I took it apart and had to re-order and wait till the parts came in. The holes in my shackles where the bolts go they were the shape of an egg and the bushings were completely gone on the bottom. The bolts were rubbing on the shackle, metal on metal...hence the “egg” shaped hole.

10. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    ok thanks I will get everything from Ranger

11. Member
    Check out your local heavy truck service centers. Most have spring furnaces on site and will produce complete spring assemblies based on your existing and it takes less than a day. I've done this numerous times and you end up with a better product for less money. Last time I bought a set from Ranger, they had a "Made in China" tag on them!
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

12. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    don't tell me that just ordered everything from Ranger and if they come in with a tag from China there going back that is all I have to say about that, then will get springs made in the USA from somewhere else probably local

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    don't tell me that just ordered everything from Ranger and if they come in with a tag from China there going back that is all I have to say about that, then will get springs made in the USA from somewhere else probably local
    That was back in the late 1990's when I was replacing springs on my 361. Needless to say mine mine back! Not sure what their source is today, but after using a local company, I'd go that route regardless.

14. Member
    I replaced my Springs but still had rubbing so I switched from 215 to 205 size tires to solve this problem.

2018 Ranger z520L
    2020 250 Pro XS
    2B694324

15. Member
    I also replaced the brake calipers on my 361 when I changed out the springs. It’s easy to do once you have everything torn down. You can get these locally. I think they were Chrysler calipers.