Alberto knot with flourocarbon?

Anyone use an Alberto knot to connect a braid mainline to a flourocarbon leader? I have not tried it but it's the knot I usually tie between braid and mono. I'm wondering if I'd have problems with flourocarbon because of the knot basically pinching the flourocarbon and creating a weak spot.

2. Member
    I have been using this for my braid to flouro for years - haven't had one failure to date

3. Member
    Sofaking, what size braid and what size flouro are you using?

4. Member
    All I use now. Had uni-uni knots and blood knots break too many times and ever since I went to Alberto knot I’ve never broken one yet. I also like how smooth it goes through the guides too. Anything from #10 braid/#6 floro to #30 braid/#15lb floro. Just make sure you wet the line before tightening
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sofakingbigbass View Post
    I have been using this for my braid to flouro for years - haven't had one failure to date
    +1

I don't use the Alberto, but have in the past (it's strong!) and currently use the "Shin Fukae knot" or "Lazy Alberto" which is fairly similar but almost as strong and much easier to tie. With any of these knots, you can't have the knot wet enough, and can't be careful enough when you cinch it down. Make sure that's taken care of and you won't have issues.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

7. Member
    The Alberto is what I use. Love it, super easy to tie, strong and small. Do the wraps with the braid over the fluorocarbon to protect it!

the shin knot is good. I use the "modified Albright knot". Easy to tie once you learn it, is very compact, main line will break before the knot. I use it for dropshotting with braid and 7# floro leader.

Just went looking. Couldn't find "lazy alberto knot" but did find "Crazy Alberto Knot", this is the same as the modified Albright that I use. Good video showing how to tie.
    Last edited by Ranger519VS; 02-14-2019 at 02:46 PM.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

9. Member
    Ranger519, the knot in the video is the knot I tie...I wonder what the difference is between the alberto and the crazy alberto is, if anything?

10. Banned
    The knot in the video is the Alberto knot. The modified Albright and the Alberto knot are the same knot.
    And they work very well.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger519VS View Post
    the shin knot is good. I use the "modified Albright knot". Easy to tie once you learn it, is very compact, main line will break before the knot. I use it for dropshotting with braid and 7# floro leader.

Just went looking. Couldn't find "lazy alberto knot" but did find "Crazy Alberto Knot", this is the same as the modified Albright that I use. Good video showing how to tie.
    This knot ^^^^^^ all day long !

Yep, that's the one I use. ^^^

13. Member
    I tie the Alberto on everything up to 25 lb fluoro to big braid.

Even with pliers, I can't make it cinch up tight.

Tie the double uni on that. Either seems to work. I just like the way the Alberto knot feels, but I can pull up trees, and do on occasion, with the double uni.

14. Member
    Crazy Alberto myself. Though the FG knot is probably the best and slimmest knot it takes time to do and is a bitch for me to tie while on the water

15. Member
    I use to tie the 7 down/7 up knot like in the video. Now I tie 10 wrap down. Never had one break and the knot has smaller diameter and goes through guides better.

16. Member
    I use it for all my spinning setups so 15 or 20 lb braid to floro sizes 6,7,8,10 and 12

Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    Sofaking, what size braid and what size flouro are you using?

17. Member

18. Banned
    I’ve been using this knot for 5 yrs with no cmplaints

19. Member
    Same here

Improved Albright, Modified Albright and Alberto knot are all the same. Not sure how Alberto came about..Some even call it the John Collins knot. In any case the knot was developed for connecting braid to Floro or mono in the So Calif offshore scene. I personally have caught Tuna over 100 lbs using this connection to a San Diego Jam knot at the hook. I still use these same knots. They work and don't fail.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,