Question Warning Horn 250 Pro XS

2017 Mercury 250 ProXS . I am getting a warning horn at idle-It doesn't happen all the time-just very occasionally. I can fish for quite a while and it doesn't happen or sometimes it might-just a hit or miss thing. The tell tale works great!-full stream. I can get the horn to go away by either giving it a little momentary gas with the hot foot or shutting it off and turning it back on. I just purchased this rig used a few months back. I have replaced the impeller and the water pressure immediately improved. Any ideas? Is there a pressure relay/transducer or something?, not sure if it's associated with the horn though. Help-mentioned this to the dealership that replaced my impeller but they said the impeller would take care of it. Has anyone had this happen to them?

Serial #. 2B400406
    Last edited by 21'Glass; 02-28-2019 at 05:38 PM. Reason: added serial#

2. Member
    every day ,,may not even be heat or psi related, return to dealer and have faults read to determine cause for sure,TRY 30.L section for more info also
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Not everyday-mostly though. Thanks-I'll take a peek

Turning off the motor and restarting will NEVER solve a problem and will only mask it. Get it to a dealer to have the stored alarm codes read. If you are mildly handy with tools, check the thermostats and compressor strainer for debris.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    As I said earlier the dealer that did the impeller change thought the impeller would fix it. I am going to have it checked out again. I am assuming the dealer checked codes before changing the impeller to see if it was more than that(maybe I am assuming too much). I do know that turning motor off and restarting will not fix/solve problem-Just wanted to get back to trailer without hearing the horn or ruining the motor. I have run Black Motors since 1988 with an occasional Yamahawg thrown in there-thanks for the suggestions on the thermostats and compressor strainers.-I'll make sure to mention that to the dealer. I am handy with tools-but I am gone too much to do a lot of work myself.

6. Member
    If the dealer only changed the impeller it could still be a problem. Highly recommended for Optimax engines to replace the impeller, gaskets, and plate as applicable. As Joe mentioned above, the 3L forum (what your engine is) is correct place to post and be sure to include your engine serial number.

Your engine should still be under factory warranty, need to get it in and have the problem diagnosed for warranty purposes. A solid tone is a CRITICAL alarm - WARNING HORN "BEEPED"
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Member
    Thanks for all the tips folks. I was traveling out of state and just got back home this morning. I called a local certified Mercury dealership and they actually got me worked in and hopefully problem solved. If I misspoke earlier about the horn it was not a solid horn-it beeped. All I know is that's not good but the motor would not go into self protect mode or whatever it is called today. The last Optimax I ran was a 1999 225 Opti-pop. I hated that motor. Went thru a few powerheads. Anyhow, the dealer got it on the computer to check codes. Seems like the starboard cylinder bank would occasionally not get to operating temperature-it would stay cool. Ended up pulling the thermostat on both sides and checking them. The starboard thermostat had a pebble lodged in it and wouldn't allow the thermostat to seat properly. Hopefully this fixes it. Again thanks for tips and pointers and now I know what forum also

8. Member
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

9. Member
    Throttle positioning sensors...

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    21'Glass... since your engine is a 3L model, you will find a LOT of useful information on the 3L forum (two more down the list).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Thanks Again-
    Wish I knew how to move the thread to the 3.0L forum but I don't

BTW-the dreaded Beeping Horn showed back up-Took it in and NO Codes. This is exasperating. I did have them clean the compressor strainer also

Help!

Serial#2B400406
    Last edited by 21'Glass; 02-28-2019 at 05:38 PM. Reason: added serial#

12. Member
    just repost in 3.0L
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................