Thread: Drive to Dayton

Drive to Dayton

I will be coming down at the end of the month from Indiana. I can come either through Nashville and take 40 or 24 then highways. Other option is through Louisville down to Glasgow and take the highways to Dayton. The map shows it to be about the same amount of time. I am some what familiar enough with the trip as I have been to Dale and Chick a few times. In trips past I have gotten hung up on I 24 near Chatt for hours and would like to avoid that whole area. I am Just wondering which way you guys think will be better this time of year. Sometimes the map shows construction and heavy traffic on 40.
    Last edited by Gsmith223; 02-13-2019 at 09:54 PM.

PM sent
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

3. Member
    I would be more worried about Nashville but either way you need to time it right for Nashville and Chattanooga

4. Member
    Not exactly sure where you will be relative to I-40, but there are two different Non-Interstate routes to Dayton out of the Crossville area. I figure an hour or maybe 1:15 at the most using either road.

Out of Crossville, I use 68 & 27 and it is picturesque with no real traffic at any time I've been on it. It is a bit twisty but I tow my tinny that way often. Check what it takes to get you to Crossville and add an hour. Hope this helps.

5. Member
    I hope the rain ends. Current 137K today. Forecasting up to 6 more inches in the next week.
    Basscat!

6. Banned
    You could go south of Louisville to the Cumberland Parkway and go east to Glasgow, south to Tomkinsville on to Celina, TN and Cookeville. Go east on I-40 to Crossville and then to Pikeville. Pop over the mountain and you're in Dayton.

An alternative route would be to go south of Bowling Green and get off at Franklin, KY--going south on TN Hwy 109 through Portland and Gallatin to I-40 east of Nashville. Crossville is about 100 miles east on I-40.

Unfortunately, my hometown of Nashville has become little Atlanta in traffic. I also avoid Chattanooga like the plague.

7. Member
    It looks like any route that avoids nashville and Chatt. I am very worried about the rain though I am seeing forecast of 6 inches or more.
    How fast will it recover after that much rain?

8. Member
    They have sucked the bottom out of the lake. We are supposed to get 8-10" of rain this week. The water will look like chocolate milk if we get that much rain. It will take several days for it to clear up if this happens.
    BulletTJ
    Tim
    There is never a wrong time
    to do the right thing!

9. Member
    Thanks I am keeping my eye on the weather hopefully it wont be as bad as predicted

10. Member
    A group of us from Southern Indiana are headed down Thursday morning to stay and fish in Dayton, how is the water looking so far?
    2019 Triton 20 TRX Patriot, Merc 250 4 stroke

11. Member
    Go here for current lake level info: https://www.tva.com/Environment/Lake-Levels
    Better pack your rain gear.
    BE CAREFUL!

12. Member
    Saw on Facebook that they have all 8 gates fully open and the lake is rolling pretty good. Its gonna be a mess, how will the roads be with all that rain?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsmith223 View Post
    Saw on Facebook that they have all 8 gates fully open and the lake is rolling pretty good. Its gonna be a mess, how will the roads be with all that rain?

I think only time will tell. This is a lot of rain and already seen over 6” this month.
    Basscat!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro88 View Post
    A group of us from Southern Indiana are headed down Thursday morning to stay and fish in Dayton, how is the water looking so far?
    more importantly by Thursday. I think it’ll be trash.
    Basscat!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GRR884 View Post
    more importantly by Thursday. I think it’ll be trash.
    Well i guess we will have a good time at Blue Water then... better than looking at the snow every week... Nothing wrong with backing the boat down to the water and just fishing from the back end :)
    2019 Triton 20 TRX Patriot, Merc 250 4 stroke

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro88 View Post
    Well i guess we will have a good time at Blue Water then... better than looking at the snow every week... Nothing wrong with backing the boat down to the water and just fishing from the back end :)
    So far today a lot of the rain is staying out in the middle of the state. Looking like Thursday may not be too bad. Hopefully, it won't rain on you all day every day. Wish you guys the best. FWIW, there's worse places to fish down there than Richland Creek.

17. Member
    You would do much better to target smallmouth on a different lake if you coming this weekend. Now til April is very good for smallmouth in TN and the stain in the water will help. Just need a couple of cranking rods with red and/or chartreuse cranks that run 6 to 12ft and target points in creeks on your favorite one.
    Last edited by mrc; 02-20-2019 at 04:49 PM.

18. Member
    looks like things are getting hairy, I hope everyone is doing okay down there.

https://weather.com/news/news/2019-0...flooding-south

19. Member
    So I need to make a decision, to go or to stay. I am not really worried about the lake, I worried about the drive. Last I heard there were over 20 state highways closed and 200 country roads. Am I still going to be safe driving around Nashville on the highways? Looks like 52 is closed anything else?

20. Member
    I-24 west of Nashville closed for the mudslide but I’m not hearing any other road closures on main roads. I’d say traffic wise you’re fine.
    Basscat!