Yay another carpet thread

Those of you that have done or do carpet, I'm ready to lay new carpet prep is done carpet will be here tomorrow. My issue is I dont want to start with a template for the big section of the deck. I would love to bring the carpet further to the gunnell. My question lies here, should I go ahead and glue down the front and trim after it sets or trim and fit as needed before I touch the glue? IMO I feel i should rough cut the front and glue it down and then trim from there
    Po' Boys Milford Jackpots
    I70 Bass Anglers Team Trail

2. Member
    I would rough cut so the material is more manageable then trim from there
    2004 Tracker Avalanche with 150 Mercury XR6

3. Member
    Be sure you keep all of the grain running in the same direction. I put arrows on the back of mine all over sonic I got an extra piece in know what way it goes. It is best to rough cut to a more manageable size first.

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Roll carpet out on backside draw arrows as suggested to make sure grain direction all goes correct way. Rough cut using template then final cut once glued down. Enjoy, nothing makes an older boat look better then new high quality carpet

i just had to get the heart up to start hacking to rough cut it in. got in in, and makes a 20yr old boat look amazing
    Po' Boys Milford Jackpots
    I70 Bass Anglers Team Trail

6. Member
    LOL, just look at the carpet from the side, you can see what direction the nap is going. It's that simple, and patterns are for rookies.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott S. View Post
    LOL, just look at the carpet from the side, you can see what direction the nap is going. It's that simple, and patterns are for rookies.
    lot easier for us "rookies" to draw arrows ( takes 5 min on the whole roll ) and use the old pieces as templates.