Thread: Oil filter

Question Oil filter

2014 Mercury 115 EFI 115F131D 2.1 fourstroke serial 2B151074 I changed motor oil at 100 hours I used oil filter 8M0065104. which is the same size that I took off. I now have 200 hours and this time when I took the oil filter off to change it the filter was still clean and empty as the day I put it on. It has not had any oil pumped through it for 100 hours. Can anyone tell me how this could happen? Motor ran just fine from 100 to 200 hours I had no idea there was no oil going through the filter.
    Last edited by double D; 02-14-2019 at 06:09 AM.

2. Member
    At first thought it does not seem possible. If oil pump was not pumping motor would not have made another 100 hours. Only thing I can think of and it is a stretch is a stoppage. Looks at things very close. Good luck and let us know how this turns out. I am very curious!

3. Member
    Possibility is a stuck pressure relief valve, drainback valve, etc.

You could check by installing a new filter again, start up the motor and run it a few minutes, then remove the filter you just installed and see if it is full of oil. This would tell you if it was the filter, or the Engine oil pathway.

Kind of agree, no way to run 100 hours if the oil pump were dead.

Don is probably the best guy to provide advice on this one. Maybe I shouldn't have speculated.

Here is a video of some oil filter disassembly...
    Last edited by MichaelJ3; 02-14-2019 at 11:43 AM.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

4. Member
    Ok thanks for the help the boat is in storage when I get a chance I will run it and check the filter. Hopefully it was just the pressure relief valve.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    8M0065103 or 8M0065104 are suitable filters for this engine.

Theoretically 100% impossible to run 100 hours with a bone-dry, never-seen-oil filter. Oil passes through the filter before it hits the main crankshaft bearings.

Relief valve is in the oil pump, BTW.

It is not uncommon for these filters to drain back virtually all oil to the oil sump after sitting. If you have good oil pressure- and appropriate oil level, that is very likely what you actually experienced.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Yes the boat had been sitting for awhile so that had to be what happened. Thanks for the information.