Livewell Leaking Problem

My port ( left) live well is leaking at the bottom pump HOSE. Not at the pump but there is a black hose & water is running down the hose to the pump. I thought it was leaking at the fitting ( yellowish color ) so I took the pump out, re-siliconed it and the fitting but then found out it was running down the hose. I have no idea where this black hose is connected. I first thought it was the pump out hose but reaching under the shelf it seems the hose is going toward the port storage compartment. It would have to curve back around to go to the pump out but don't know any other place it would connect going that way. Anyone have any idea what this hose is for, where it connects, & how to replace it. I can't understand why any water would be routed up, then down to the pump or why it would have water in that line. I took a pic of it & it's the very bottom pump with the yellowish fitting. The hose connects to the yellowish fitting, which is not visible at all. Live well only has about a foot of water in it. 2008 TR21 HP
    Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have no idea what to do.
    Thanks

IMG_0228.jpg

That's the livewell overflow hose. The fitting should be at the top of the livewell.

3. Member
    Tracer1, it’s hard to tell from the picture but I think that is the pump out. And it does route to the port side. At least that is how mine is plumbed.
    2020 Caymas CX21 Pro
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Serial# 2B686100

Quote Originally Posted by geespepper View Post
    That's the livewell overflow hose. The fitting should be at the top of the livewell.
    The live well was basically empty, 12 inches of water so I don't know how any water could be at the overflow. But like I said I have no idea. If that is the overflow hose, how do you get to it? On my livewell the over flow hole is at the very top of the live well, under the lid overhang. There is no fitting there as the hole is molded into the live well. But like I said there was no water up there to run down.
    Last edited by tracer1; 02-13-2019 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bbqpitboss View Post
    Tracer1, it’s hard to tell from the picture but I think that is the pump out. And it does route to the port side. At least that is how mine is plumbed.
    Well actually, that's what I thought. I had 2 of my areators leaking & replaced those. One on the port & one on the starboard side. So those were OK. I had plugged the live well drains at the bottom rear of the boat. Put water in the Starboard side it was OK. Thought the port side would be OK also since I replaced the aerator that was leaking. Well that aerator was OK also but noticed the leak coming from the bottom aerator. Like I said, thought it was the aerator also but after reaching as far as I could under the overhang ( can't hardly tell there is a hose there) water was actually coming down the hose to the aerator. If that is the pump out, how is there water at the top of the hose? How do I stop that?

6. Member
    Tracer, I don’t know how water would be standing all the way at the discharge of the pump out port but I suppose it’s possible if the hose was obstructed somehow. But then it wouldn’t pump out. If you have been on the water recently it’s possible some water could stay in that hose but I would think much lower since it does run uphill. Are you sure the port on the pump is not cracked?
    2020 Caymas CX21 Pro
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Serial# 2B686100

Yeah, I agree bbq. I don't understand it either. I. took the pump off yesterday, because I thought the same as you, & couldn't find anything wrong with it. I really thought the hose wasn't tight enough. So I siliconed the end where the hose connects & tightened the small auto clamp. Still did the same. Now for the crazy part. I only put enough water to cover the pump out in the live well. So I'm not talking about a lot water, just a few inches. Within a minute or so it will start leaking. Now, if I put my hand on the pump & reach up the hose as far as I can, you can feel water running down. If there was water in the hose, seems like it would have all leaked out if that's case. And the pump is not running, so it's not pumping water up the hose. So I'm at a loser right now. IF it is that hose, how in the world would you replace it?????

8. Member
    Can you locate where the leak starts on that hose? I have all my batteries and the plates that cover all the pumps out of my boat now to replace a transducer and install a remote drain plug. I will look and see what it takes to get to the pump out ports where the hose attaches and get back with you.
    2020 Caymas CX21 Pro
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Serial# 2B686100

Oh thank you, that would be a great help. No I can't locate that. As far as I can reach up that bottom shelf, the hose curves upward to the top of the deck. It doesn't, as far as I can tell, go back to the back of the boat toward the pump out ports. I'm really curious as to why it is routed that way. Seems there would be an easier way to route it.

I replaced the pump out and recirculating pumps a couple of years ago. I had to remove the rear lid and seat along with everything on the plate so I could lay across the deck to get to pump out pumps. I had my GF reach in the livewells to start the nut while I held the pump up against the bottom of the livewells. I used 3M 4200 on the pump flange and on the inside of the livewells where the nut seated.

I think I attached the hoses to the pumps with silicone and hose clamps before putting the pumps in place.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

The pump works fine. I initially thought the pump was leaking or cracked. Removed it and couldn't find anything wrong with it. Refitted both fittings with marine silicone. Still leaks but not at the pump anyway.

12. Member
    Tracer, I checked the hose routing and access while working on my boat this weekend. I could follow the pump out hoses to the port side discharge fittings but I have no idea how you would change the whole hose if it was needed. There is no access. You may have to do a splice if you have to replace the lower section of that hose.
    2020 Caymas CX21 Pro
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Serial# 2B686100

Quote Originally Posted by bbqpitboss View Post
    Tracer, I checked the hose routing and access while working on my boat this weekend. I could follow the pump out hoses to the port side discharge fittings but I have no idea how you would change the whole hose if it was needed. There is no access. You may have to do a splice if you have to replace the lower section of that hose.
    Thanks bbq.......yeah, I couldn't see how to do that either. I don't even know how I could do a splice either. I can get my hand up about 6 inches or so and that's it. I can't really tell how far up the leak is. I can reach the port discharge also but can't for the life of me figure out how to replace that hose. Oh, just thought of a way.......take the cap off, LOL