Thread: Jack plate

Jack plate

Has one tried the hole shot plate that goes on the bottom of the jack plate. Have 2018 Cougar that struggles to come out of the hole. Was hoping this might help.

2. Member
    What engine/prop?
    What is engine height in relation to pad?

don't see how a Cougar can struggle to get out of the hole if its even close to being propped right.
    mine is a 03 but same hull with a 225 EFI merc turning a 25p tempest and it comes out of the hole like a rocket

4. Member
    2018 Pro xs 25 p fury 4 blade w/ jack plate

5. Member
    With the 4 blade, it should be a rocket out of the hole. Where is the prop shaft in relation to the pad?

6. Member
    I havent checked that yet. What should it be. That will also change with the jack plate correct?

7. Member
    I had the same issue with my 14 Puma and a Merc Pro XS. That is the only reason I got rid of the boat. I think it was something with the ProXS, but I am no expert. Hopefully the 4 strokes eliminate this issue. With poles, gas, 4 batteries, co-angler, and live wells full it was ugly. especially with a 300 pound co-angler trying to come out of Harney Pond grass. When chobee had grass.

8. Member
    I can't help with that, my Puma has a SHO and they are a little different than a Mercury. I would think a good starting place is 2.5" or 3.5" of the prop shaft being below the pad. Don't let me insult you, but just making sure you know what we are talking about. Using a level, get under the boat (assuming it's on a flat surface, like a garage), place the level on the pad of the boat (flat service at the very back of the hull, above the drain plug and live well fills), have someone adjust the swing down wheel at the front until the hull is level, then measure the distance from the pad to the floor. Then do the same to the engine, using the level on the cavitation plate to make sure the engine is level and measure the distance from the center of the prop shaft to the floor. The prop shaft should be closer to the floor than the pad. Subtract one from the other and that's the number you are looking for. Cougar or Puma guys with your set up can better tell you what the optimum distance should be. As I said above, 2.5"-3.5" is a good starting place. If you have power poles or Talons, hole shot will suffer, more so with Talons. Sorry for being long winded.