1988 Johnson GT200 performance questions

Hey everyone, this is my first post on the forum.
    I own a 1988 Stratos 201 Pro with a 1988 Johnson GT200.
    model J200STLCCM
    serial G7743688

Engine runs good, seems healthy. Compression checked last year,
    i don’t remember the numbers but I remember them being almost the same.
    Looking for some info on how to get a little more low end out of it.
    I have found bits and pieces about swapping heads,
    removing some tubes from air intake and adding spacers.

all I’ve found is bits and pieces and I’m looking for answers.

Thank you you in advance for any info!

2. Member
    Welcome to the forum. I would leave the motor stock and experiment with props. I had better luck with this motor using a 4 blade prop. You might want to look at the roller that opens the carbs. It should be a black roller about 3/8 inch in diameter. They sometimes get a groove worn from the throttle linkage, and you will not get full throttle. Maybe not much but a little, on some you can just turn the roller upside down and the linkage will run on a good spot. Another thing, if that roller has been replaced with a newer style, it should have a sleeve over a smaller black roller, these sleeves crack and fall off, check that out.
    Last edited by 316jughead; 02-13-2019 at 01:42 PM.

3. Member
    Thanks for the reply. I’ve tried a few props.
    Currently running a 4 blade shooter 24p 14.5” which all around out performs my raker 25p 13.25”.
    I also was recently given a 10” hydraulic jack plate, once I install it I will give the raker another shot.

Thanks for the info about the roller, I will check that out tonight.
    Its a strong runner midrange up but it just seems gutless on bottom.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Are you sure on those numbers on the Raker?? most Rakers are 14.25" diameter and their pitch is in even numbers. The prop you mentioned sounds like a 4 blade Renegade.

5. Member
    Gutless on the bottom end was what I found also. I don't think we could ever get one to get out of the hole good with a Raker. 10 inch jack plate, that's a lot of off set, let us know how that works out.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    10 inch jack plate, that's a lot of off set, let us know how that works out.
    was only going to use it because it was free. Is it a bad idea? I have a smaller lift OMC manual jack plate. Dimensionally they’re about the same size.

7. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Braapbraap214 View Post
    was only going to use it because it was free. Is it a bad idea? I have a smaller lift OMC manual jack plate. Dimensionally they’re about the same size.
    10 inch jackplate on a 1988 old wood transom,,,,,I wouldnt do it but thats me... I also woudnt try hopping up a 30 year old motor. I would do as the experts say,,mess with props/heights and insure motor is right(adjustments-link and sync,ect).

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Are you sure on those numbers on the Raker?? most Rakers are 14.25" diameter and their pitch is in even numbers. The prop you mentioned sounds like a 4 blade Renegade.
    Sorry I had the props mixed up. The shooter is a 4 blade 13.25x25pp. The raker is a 3 blade 14.5x24

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    Welcome to the forum. I would leave the motor stock and experiment with props. I had better luck with this motor using a 4 blade prop. You might want to look at the roller that opens the carbs. It should be a black roller about 3/8 inch in diameter. They sometimes get a groove worn from the throttle linkage, and you will not get full throttle. Maybe not much but a little, on some you can just turn the roller upside down and the linkage will run on a good spot. Another thing, if that roller has been replaced with a newer style, it should have a sleeve over a smaller black roller, these sleeves crack and fall off, check that out.

That sleeve is is very worn. I think it’s too worn to even be flipped and reused. Thanks for that

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Replace it #0432639 and the O ring that keeps it in place # 0324678

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Braapbraap214 View Post
    That sleeve is is very worn. I think it’s too worn to even be flipped and reused. Thanks for that
    Your welcome. It wears because it doesn't turn, If your wife has some sewing machine oil, put some on the shaft before installing the new roller, that oil doesn't gum up. Other light oil is OK.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Replace it #0432639 and the O ring that keeps it in place # 0324678
    That would be the new roller and sleeve, the sleeve cracks and falls off. not good. If #0330130 is available, I would use it, it is the original part and will not wear if you keep it lubed, and no sleeve to crack and fall off. O ring # 0308776. Check boats.net.
    Last edited by 316jughead; 02-15-2019 at 09:57 AM.

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Old Jerry comes thru once again. That was the last model year on the 90* V-6 that those parts were used on so take Jerry's advice and use the parts he listed. Thanks Juggie.