Starter solenoid short

Mercury 115 HP 2B145753

Boat had a dead battery, installed fully charged battery. Soon as fresh battery was hooked up starter solenoid started engaging / disengaging (click, click, click). Ignition switch was off w/ key out.

Engine started fine and while running I could no longer hear the solenoid clicking.

I’m assuming the best course of action here is to replace the entire starter.

What would you guys recommend?

Don't guess, Test
    The first thing I would test is the voltage to the excite terminal on the solonoid to see if there is voltage on it while the problem is occurring, suspect a key switch problems
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    What are the odds that the battery cables were reversed polarity when you first attempted to connect them?

Just out of curiousity- what is the battery voltage (AT IDLE) after the engine has been running for 5 minutes?

Test with a DVOM, at the battery.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor