Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

$$$ in electronics or TM?

about $2k and can't do both

Solid, older TM and upgrade electronics?

Or, solid older electronics (gen1/gen2) and upgrade TM?

2. Member
    Is this a hypothetical, or are you asking for your particular situation?

3. Member
    Ultrex
    THE MORE YOU SAY THE MORE WE UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT YOU ANYWAYS

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SWbass View Post
    Ultrex
    This
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

5. Member
    How do you fish? If you fish a lot of shallow cover and thicker grass, I'd get a 112 Fortrex or Ultrex trolling motor and some less expensive electronics with GPS and 2D sonar. If you fish a lot of off-shore and need side-scan, I'd get some Helix units and a used trolling motor (fortrex).

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sokyangler View Post
    How do you fish? If you fish a lot of shallow cover and thicker grass, I'd get a 112 Fortrex or Ultrex trolling motor and some less expensive electronics with GPS and 2D sonar. If you fish a lot of off-shore and need side-scan, I'd get some Helix units and a used trolling motor (fortrex).
    exactly. Purchases made should be based on your preferred fishing style.

7. Member
    The trolling motor is more important than electronics. I mean...you use that all day regardless. You glance at your graphs while your foot is runnin the motor. So depending on your need, its the most important.
    Last edited by jdwo2212; 02-13-2019 at 10:34 PM.

8. Banned
    Ultrex.

Assuming you have HDS's with Structure Scan, go with the Ultrex and don't look baack !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

10. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I would upgrade the TM and wait for used electronics on here when the next batch of “new” comes out. I know I would rather have a really nice TM over a larger screen, but I’m in Florida. It has to come down to how you fish.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    I would upgrade the TM and wait for used electronics on here when the next batch of “new” comes out. I know I would rather have a really nice TM over a larger screen, but I’m in Florida. It has to come down to how you fish.
    ^^^ THIS ^^^

12. Member
    Ultrex

13. Member
    If I already units that had good downscan and sidescan, I would put the money into a Trolling motor.

Although there have been advances in clarity between the older models and newer models, I don’t think the that’s clarity is worth more on the water than an ultrex for me.

14. Member
    You can fish without finders if they crap out on the water. Can you say the same with a TM?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsch View Post
    You can fish without finders if they crap out on the water. Can you say the same with a TM?
    Sure wish your avatar pic would enlarge

16. Member
    Buy an ultrex, sell your old trolling motor use that money to buy a garmin 93sv. then later you can add panoptix.

17. Member
    I would buy an Ultrex. I bought a older boat and it had a Fortrex on it. I put a Ultrex and some older Hummingbird graphs on it. I don't regret the decision I made at all. I would eventually like to upgrade my electronics but I love the trolling motor. I fish alot of offshore structure and I know that I have caught more fish because I am not constantly having to run the trolling motor to hold my self in position. It makes a huge difference and has got to be one of the best bass boat advances in the last 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by bustasack View Post
    Buy an ultrex, sell your old trolling motor use that money to buy a garmin 93sv. then later you can add panoptix.
    Perfect solution right there!
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

19. Member
    My vote is Ultrex. Don't intend to ever own another boat without one. But I fish Florida with a lot of shallow water lily pads, stumps, buggy whips, reeds, etc. etc. I use the Ultrex all the time. I don't really use the downscan and sonar as much as I use the Ultrex. h

The wind blows a lot down here. If you catch a fish, by the time you land it and then get the hooks out and then release it and wipe your hands off...... You are 50 yards from where you caught the fish off the shell bed or logs.... This used to really cost me a lot of time casting. Now, I set the hook and step on the spot lock, land the fish and do all my stuff like get a new Senko rigged.......AND I'm still right where I need to be. It has been a real valuable accessory to the boat. The cruise control is also great ..... I would buy it rather than electronics.

I would look for used electronics later on right here on BBC. You won't find a used Ultrex.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

20. Member
    i just bought 93+ garmins x2 and livescope and a ultrex. Id rather have the livescope and a boat paddle that the other way around

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast