Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

USCG RULES OF THE ROAD

I saw this video posted by a professional angler last night. The angler who posted the video was driving the boat with the camera. He posted the video calling the other boat an idiot. What does the almighty BBC say?

https://vimeo.com/317012807

Pass on the left. End of story

3. Member
    Nope, he's wrong. Same rules on the water as the highway. He should have passed the other boat on his left and the boat in front has the ROW, but both drivers should have been more cautious IMHO.

4. Member
    For the record, I absolutely agree that the angler who posted the video is wrong and that you should pass from the port side and that the boat in front has the ROW until the pass is completed. There was a good debate going on between people on who was correct. The pro angler was saying he was correct and calling the other boat an idiot.

5. Member
    I saw that exact same scenario play out last year between two boats in front of us after blast off, but it was a lot closer than that. Thought for sure there was going to be a collision, there was no throwing up hands, just evasive maneuvers.
    Brandon
    1996 Ranger 362XT
    Johnson Faststrike 150

6. Member
    You can pass on either side when overtaking a boat, you are required to signal which side. 2 short blasts for port and 1 for starboard. The lead boat would be considered the stand-on boat and have the right of way.

https://www.boatus.org/study-guide/navigation/rules/

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DougH View Post
    Nope, he's wrong. Same rules on the water as the highway. He should have passed the other boat on his left and the boat in front has the ROW, but both drivers should have been more cautious IMHO.
    Agreed. The front boat has no way to detect a boat that is overtaking. At those speeds in a bass boat you better be looking straight ahead and a horn would do no good, a front boat could never hear it. Both drivers should be aware that each could have a disaster in a heartbeat. When I'm the lead boat and suspect I'm being overtaken I signal any turns if I can with my arms, I also put both hands up in the air when I'm coming off plane.
    It's scenes like this that would give my boat insurer a heart attack.

8. Member
    When you are passing somebody at speed, you better be ready for anything like that. Almost impossible for lead boat to even know that boat is there. He technically didn't even turn right, just kind of drifted with the lay of the body of water. Driver of second boat made it much closer than it needed to be. IMO, he should've came off throttle earlier than he did.

9. Member
    Uscg rules don't matter. 99.9% of the boaters don't know or care. Mean Dean is spot on. Two short blasts and a pass gets you the finger.

10. Banned
    But, but, he's a PRO! He CAN'T be wrong. He OWNS that water.

The lead boat may have the right of way, but one should drive a boat in a defensive manner, just like one is supposed to be a defensive driver on the road. When riding with my partner at blast off, I frequently turn my head to both sides and let my partner know if a boat is to our left or right and if it is going to overtake us.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Whoever is in the lead has the right of way. The boat behind should adjust to the boat ahead.

13. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I had an incident last year that was pretty hairy and right after blast off I was on a true north course and not varying doing a good speed when I was over taken by someone coming from my port side at an angle going to an island on my starboard side if I hadn't caught a glimpse of it in peripheral vision it would have been disastrous and he said he never even seen me ,some people should not be able to drive a boat.
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

14. Member
    On the road once My wife cussed a truck. Yes, the big truck committed a foul and was in the wrong. That said, I told my wife them, "He weighs 80,000 pounds your car weighs 4000. Right or wrong, mess with him and he'll win the argument."

You have to drive defensively.

15. Member
    I called him out on it on Instagram. He said “hey I yielded”. Haha. He’s goofy and fun to follow

The rules of the road were not really written for high speed boating. In this case I think the overtaking vessel has fault if an event occurred since the other boat was in sight. The stand by vessel was to maintain course only after given the ok signal back which no signaling occurred. At the end of the day u should do whatever it takes to avoid collisaion (this includes slowing down).

16. Member
    Maybe I need to view it on a bigger screen but it looked to me like the boat on the left made a sharp right turn and cut the guy off.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheatpower View Post
    But, but, he's a PRO! He CAN'T be wrong. He OWNS that water.
    But what if they're both pros???... Dan

18. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    I remember years ago I was in the lead on the right during a blast off. (pike tournament/shotgun start) I was approaching a narrowing of the dredged channel and was hugging the right lane with the green buoy on my right and the red about 100' on my left. Some imbecile came up on my blind side at mach 10 and cut hard right about 8' across my bow. I had to crank hard to the right and just missed the large metal green marker buoy by 6". Scared the shite out of me.

I had a few choice words with him at weigh in after. He still didn't get it.

Even better. The term 'right of way' applies to when two power boats are approaching at right angles, the boat on the right has the ROW. (A boat under sail has the right of way) I was travelling south east across Lake Ontario about 15 miles offshore (Main Duck Islands and headed towards Wofe Island). I saw a boat on my left way out in the distance. There was only 4' rollers with a few whitecaps being sheered off the top by the westerly wind. This boat kept coming towards me and I started a new heading to the right a bit that would not cause us to be near each other in those conditions. The other boat adjusted and kept coming on an intercept course from my left. When it was finally close enough and bobbed up out of a trough, the words POLICE were on the side of the boat. He pulled up in front of me and asked me to pull along side as he wanted to check for my boating license and safety equipment. I freakin' lost it!

I sternly reminded him of the term 'ROW', the fact that he just contravened the safe boating act, the waves were 2' on top of 4' swells, that I was running a $60k boat covered in sponsor decals, and there was no effing way that I was going to tie off to his boat in these conditions. I told him that he could take the reg number of the boat and that he was welcome to come over to my house for a beer and a chat at the end of the day. He was a rookie and stood there flabbergasted. The Sergeant inside at the helm started laughing his head off, looked at the cadet and put his hands up in an I'm not touching this one pose. I was his kid's teacher at the time. We wished each other a good day and headed off on our separate ways.
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

19. Member
    In this case i tend to agree with BRIANKF . Looks to me like the guy on left cut in front of other guy. At the angle he veared right should have seen other boat easy if his head was looking around. But i also agree that why never take anything for granted what other guy might do. Be prepared for anything.
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

20. Member
    The boat on the left was being overtaken. When a vessel is being overtaken it has the right of way until the pass is completed. The boat passing had an obligation to give way, which it did. It is honestly terrifying to see how many people on instagram and twitter do not seem to understand this, including the angler who posted the video.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast