Question Cockpit Seat Mounting Champion 206

I lost a seat back two years ago driving back from the lake. I noticed when I put the boat away that most of the screws holding the new seat backs on had fallen out, I really don't want to lose another seat back. Not sure what is behind the seats but definitely metal under the carpeting. I have tried pre-drilling holes with a small bit but have broken more bits than I can count so that is some tough metal.

My question is: How thick is that metal and how much space is there between it and the gas tank?

I was thinking of either using a self tapping sheet metal screw or figure out how to remove that panel and bolt the seat backs on
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

2. Member
    Can't say for sure on a 2003, but my 2006 198 has plenty of room to carefully drill holes. If you have the fold down center seat you could remove the fuel tank access plate behind the seat and take a look.

Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

3. Banned
    I pulled my base (same as Ed’s pic) and drilled a bolt that goes through the entire base. Then bolted the seat to base, sucker won’t come off again. My problem was that I leaned back too hard and broke the screws.

4. Member
    I've got an 03 206 and its defiantly easier to pull the seat pan off the boat to mount the new seats. I had the same problem as you I lost a seat back and bolted the new seats in.

5. Member
    I have a 2004 196 and I'm curious if the seat pan design would be the same as pictured in Ed R's post above? I need to remove it to help access a replacement transducer cable I'm trying to route from the transom compartment to the console.

6. Member
    If you have a cup holder next to your right leg sitting in the driver seat, pull that and it becomes pretty easy to fish out the new cable if you are pushing it forward, under the tank. Once you get hold of it you can easily route it upward and forward a little to get it where it needs to go. That being said it isn't hard to pull that aluminum seat base. Not sure if the '04 is the same however. Mine was an '06.

7. Member
    Thanks Charlie 206, that is a great tip! You cant imagine how many hours and how much frustration I went through trying to fish that cable from the transom hatch thru to the breaker panel with no success! Much appreciated! -GS

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidergrub View Post
    I lost a seat back two years ago driving back from the lake. I noticed when I put the boat away that most of the screws holding the new seat backs on had fallen out, I really don't want to lose another seat back. Not sure what is behind the seats but definitely metal under the carpeting. I have tried pre-drilling holes with a small bit but have broken more bits than I can count so that is some tough metal.

My question is: How thick is that metal and how much space is there between it and the gas tank?

I was thinking of either using a self tapping sheet metal screw or figure out how to remove that panel and bolt the seat backs on
    I have a 2003 206 and I've had my seat pan out several times for various reasons. There is some clearance behind it, maybe about 2". The metal is aluminum, about 1/8" or 3/16" thick. It's screwed in all around the edges with stainless screws, just dig around the carpet and you'll find the screw heads. I have a black trim strip at the top that has to come off first (not sure if that was factory or dealer installed). It's not that bad to take out if you use a cordless drill on slow speed with a fresh #2 Phillips bit. I take my seats off first, it's lighter to handle that way and you get to clean under the seats good. Replace any screws if the heads are even slightly deformed or the shafts bent. The fiberglass is very hard on screws. You may have to redrill some pilot holes if the screws go back in hard. Use a drill bit just slightly smaller than the OD of the screw, not the size of the minor diameter like for wood screws.

I haven't lost seat backs, but bolting through the pan is not a bad idea. Just make sure to use stainless screws, nuts and lock washers. Don't use self drilling screws anywhere on a boat. They aren't stainless, at least, I've never seen them in stainless.

9. Member
    Hey Ed R how do you like your replacement center step and council? Does it hold up to stepping on it I’m well over 250lbs and don’t want to buy it and find out it’s not strong enough for my lbs

10. Member
    I've used it a few times @ 220lbs. Seems pretty sturdy, I've stood on it and and bounced a bit, but I'm usually going forward. It works well for odds and ends for day storage. If you are looking for an added storage box, this isn't it.
    Ed R.

11. Banned
    I’ve been thinking about pulling my center seat and just leaving it as a step. Never have 3 in my boat anyways.

12. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    I’ve been thinking about pulling my center seat and just leaving it as a step. Never have 3 in my boat anyways.
    That's what I did. Makes it easier to get to the rear deck.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    I ran for 3-4 years without the center fold down. thought the center console would/could work. As I said, it's good for day storage. I'm happy with it, I was happy without it as well.
    Ed R.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassinengineer View Post
    I have a 2003 206 and I've had my seat pan out several times for various reasons. There is some clearance behind it, maybe about 2". The metal is aluminum, about 1/8" or 3/16" thick. It's screwed in all around the edges with stainless screws, just dig around the carpet and you'll find the screw heads. I have a black trim strip at the top that has to come off first (not sure if that was factory or dealer installed). It's not that bad to take out if you use a cordless drill on slow speed with a fresh #2 Phillips bit. I take my seats off first, it's lighter to handle that way and you get to clean under the seats good. Replace any screws if the heads are even slightly deformed or the shafts bent. The fiberglass is very hard on screws. You may have to redrill some pilot holes if the screws go back in hard. Use a drill bit just slightly smaller than the OD of the screw, not the size of the minor diameter like for wood screws.

I haven't lost seat backs, but bolting through the pan is not a bad idea. Just make sure to use stainless screws, nuts and lock washers. Don't use self drilling screws anywhere on a boat. They aren't stainless, at least, I've never seen them in stainless.
    My boat has the same trim strip so I suspect it I factory. When it gets a little warmer I will get outside and start looking for all the screws
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax