Question GPS connection problems??

Helix 10
    2008 ranger 188

after fishing all day yesterday my gps signal dropped an hour in
    and now i have no gps fix
    i tried driving to different parts of the lake
    powering the unit on and off multiple times and even tried when i got home 30 miles away from the lake
    and the unit goes right into no gps fix
    my unit is showing satellites on the diagnostic view but all with no signal??
    the sonar still works fine
    any help please????

i have used the unit for 2 years fishing 3 days a week and have never had a problem.

2. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Either try a reset to defaults, call HB or add an external GPS puck (borrow one to see if that works you can).

Tough call...

Make sure you have ample voltage under load - the GPS is usually the 1st thing to wig out if this is the case.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

3. Member
    so today i figured i would run new wires to make sure that was not an issue i used a fish tape and tried both sides of the boat to get to the back and had a problem on both sides
    so my question is do ranger boats use zip ties in the tubing that i could be snagging on? i realize it a totally new issue but once again running into problems??/
    i looked on youtube and on here and didn't see any posts about problems
    basically losing my mind
    thanks for any help

4. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Ask a Ranger dealer - IDK how you're trying to pull wires, but even with CABLE TIES on existing wiring, I have no problem pulling wires - but it's all about how you affix the end for the pull too.

Can't help with therapy - but you might scroll up to "The Lounge" and see if they can help in that sub forum.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

5. Member
    i was just trying to get a straight ended fish tape through the tube thats why i can't believe I'm having a problem??
    i was going to push the fish tape though then tape on the wires and pull back though
    needless to say 4 hours later i'm still at square one lol
    like i said I'm losing it

6. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Get a large wire nut, place it over the end of the fish tape and tape it to the end wrapping TIGHTLY with quality tape like 3M #88 so you've got a conical point to deflect of objects.

If you're unsuccessful, get a length of Romex and put the wire nut on it and snake that through.

If no joy there - take it to an experienced installation person.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI

7. Member
    Fishing wires sucks. I have a center console crestliner (basically a glorified jon boat) and fishing the wires in it has been a huge pain in the butt. I literally had to rip the front deck off and even trim some of the floatation foam out to run the wires for my 360 and bow graph.

Honestly I'm pretty surprised the ranger isn't more user friendly.... Good luck with both problems!

8. Member
    There may be a wire tube in there and your tape is not getting in there. Call Ranger, They will know how to do it. Bob

9. Member
    I run the fish wire through first, then attach my wire plus an extra high strength string. Wrap the end tight with tape in a cone shape to pull back through.

10. Member
    On my 481 Ranger I can remove a lid inside the storage department. This helps me routing my wires. The open half way between console and the rear.
    LittleJohn
    Remember Jesus loves you

11. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DougL58 View Post
    I run the fish wire through first, then attach my wire plus an extra high strength string. Wrap the end tight with tape in a cone shape to pull back through.
    I sure hope he isn't trying to PUSH the wiring thru Doug.
    O M G ...
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfw1960 View Post
    I sure hope he isn't trying to PUSH the wiring thru Doug.
    O M G ...
    Just making sure. I talked to a guy once that was doing that.

13. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar

Oh, trust me Sir... I know, I know.

Roger that Doug (Good call), you don't know how many times I see certain things and just SMH. (I help run another website forum)

I'm not as readily available as Wayne is, and I am a patient man - but not as much as he is.

One thing's for sure - I've built, sold and repaired countless computer systems for around 25 years, and the AA+ certified techs have a term "being dumbed to death"...

At some point you may feel like you're having a chat with a chalkboard, and if that occurs at some point both WP & I will just stop responding at times.

When you can't get through to make sense, it's nothing you can blame yourself for.

Yes - it's always good to make sure you're getting your point across - 100%!
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI

14. Member
    thanks for the info guys yesterday i took some time off just to have a clear head to go at it again this weekend

15. Member
    and no i was not trying to push the wire though
    just trying to get the fish tape though to pull the wires
    next step is to take off the throttle and see whats under there and if the wires are bunching up in there and blocking me with the tape

16. Member
    I have a 2010 188vx that I have fished wires through . I remember seeing the tube under the console and went through that . I don't remember if I could see the tube from under the bow panel though . If haven't already tried fishing from the other end try it both ways .

17. Member
    i tried both sides and it seemed to get stuck around the throttle so i guess that comes off next

18. Member
    Not sure why you are running new power wires for this issue. Did you test the unit out of the boat with a known good battery (under the sky & satellites) and see if it made any difference in the GPS lock? You may just have a bad receiver in the unit and the power is fine.