North Carolina Travel Advice

Looking for some advice on the best way through NC to Lake Norman. Google shows I 64 S through West Virgina to I 77 S as the best option. But there is another option for 75 to 40 through Tennessee. We will be coming from Illinois. Never been to that part of the country, so I was curious if one was truly better and safer than the other in regard to traveling through the mtns. (Especially at this time of the year) Any thoughts from those that know would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    64 and 77 is a little faster. But WV turnpike has tolls. If you have an EZPass it’s no big deal. My daughter was in school in Chapel Hill for several years so we drove it a bunch. 64/77 is the better drive IMO.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Awesome thank you

I can answer this for ya!
    my in laws live in O’fallon , IL, which is east side of STL...
    I have made that drive 13-14 times now...I’ve driven it both ways (even though my gps always says go the 64 to 77 route)...
    it’s about 1 hour faster the suggested route 64/77... and it’s nornally a lot less construction...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

Worst traffic will be when you get to the Lake Norman area.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

6. Banned
    Google Maps doesn't know the beauty of the countryside.
    Coming out of Joliet, I'd suggest you'd go East over to Gary and south on I-65 through Indianapolis to Louisville.
    Turn East on I-64, go right past Frankfurt and turn south on I-75 toward Knoxville.
    In Knoxville, go I-40 East which takes you over to the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area.
    Follow I-40 over to Asheville and east to I-77 where you turn south. It'll take you to the Lake Norman area close to Mooresville, NC

It's a long way from Chicagoland to Lake Norman. Many find the lakes of East Tennessee on the Tennessee River tributaries to be great fishing. Many also go to Western KY to fish Kentucky Lake.

7. Member
    I’m headed to Lake Norman also Tuesday morning coming from Louisville, Kentucky

8. Member
    Thanks all, appreciate the feedback