Thread: 2019 ZX190

2019 ZX190

Been looking at a few used boats and have not been happy. Starting to look at new boats. Been comparing the Nitro Z18 vs the Skeeter ZX190

Really like the look of the Skeeter but why would you buy a Skeeter vs a Nitro Z18? Not a big fan of Nitro's from what I have heard, but for the $ they are comparable at least in price to a Skeeter ZX190.

Nitro Z18 has bigger livewell, 30 gallon vs 26 gallon, bigger gas tank, 40 gallons vs 26 on Skeeter. Skeeter does have some kind of extended warranty on the Yamaha until March 31.

Not trying to bash any brands, just looking for some opinions.

My bass boat search continues!

2. Member
    Get what you want based on what you like. It's a boat and while there are differences you have to judge which is more important. For example the larger gas tank may be important to some and others may not want all that extra weight. Someone will love a YAMAHA and yet another swears by the MERCURY. Someone who has trouble keeping fish alive might think a larger live well is better. Yet another will claim the Skeeeter has the best ride.

To me when you boil it down they are both less expensive smaller boats that are pretty close the same. In the end the Skeeter may and I will say may holds its resale value a little better.

I hate to be so bland but really with these two boats that is what you have, get the one that catches your eye. Then go have fun.

3. Member
    Also, consider the dealership for each one. A great dealership compared to a poor one means a lot to me.

4. Member
    2 reasons I would buy the skeeter, a good dealer close and I just like it better. In other words, personal preference. Either boat will do what you need and be a nice boat. The skeeter may ride a touch better but the right prop on either boat and they will be near identical. The only other thing would be to compare each boat with the same equipment. Take a ride in each, climb all over every brand you can, bring some rods and put them on the deck and compare. Do everything you can think of before you purchase and you will be happy.

5. Derek McCullough
    Resale on the Skeeter will be quite a bit higher as well.

6. Member
    I have had a few Nitro boats and have a Skeeter now. If you have a good dealer go with the Skeeter!

7. Member
    Thanks for all the great replies. Dealer actually sells Skeeter and Nitro. Seems to be a shortage of the ZX190's , at least in SC. 1 dealer had no stock at all. None for 8-10 weeks

8. Member
    Let me add a bit. 1st. There is no wiggle room on the price on Nitro. You buy the basic boat and then add on the costs for anything you want different. Yes, I know some of that is the same for every brand but only Nitro does not possibly come down in order to make the deal. I was looking at them about 5 years ago. The Z7 (same as Z18 now) was within $500 for the Skeeter I was looking at. A few huge differences..Z7 was single console, Skeeter ZX190 is dual, Z7 did NOT have a spare tire...you have to pay extra for it, my boat had better graphs where the Nitro had Mark 5's which are a monochrome screen. I probably paid a bit more for those niceties but they were already on it when I looked. And the price on the next years model, which was released a couple of months later was an additional $500 or so. To be honest, the main 2 factors was I liked the color scheme on the Skeeter and it honestly bothered me about the spare.

9. Member
    I live work and fish in N.E. Georgia. There are two Skeeter dealerships close by...Boating Atlanta and N C marine of which are both owned by the same parent company...one in Georgia and one in S.C....I purchased my 2016 ZX225 new in 2016 at the Boating Atlanta dealership...and the boat was actually delivered from the N.C. dealership to be rigged at Boating Atlanta....they did a fantastic job through and through...I looked at Nitro long and hard before making my decision...I have absolutely no regrets....

10. Member
    sorry for the confusion I may have created....the N.C. vs S.C. lol....I meant to say S.C through and through....sorry...

11. Member
    Well after much debate, I went with the Z18 Nitro. Merc 175 Pro XS with dual wheel trailer. The price was very close between the 2 boats. The Skeeter had the Yamaha 150 SHO on it. Tried to get dealer to come down on the Skeeter, but not enough. Dealer wanted $1800 to add the dual console on the Skeeter. The Nitro I can order the dual console and install and take off pretty easily. The Skeeter I could get the dual wheel trailer, but had to order a boat 10 weeks they said. The Nitro is a little bit bigger boat, more front deck space, and for me the bigger 40 gallon vs 26 gallon gas tank was a plus. Big lakes like Murray and Santee I can make a long run if I choose and not have to worry if I'm going to make it back! There were a few things I wasn't happy with, but your not going to get everything I guess. Like Clif said, no spare tire, and no graph on the front. However Nitro giving $750 Bass Pro gift card and $200 merchandise purchase (shirts hats and stuff). With the $750 gift card going to get a decent graph for front. I can pick up spare tire fairly cheap, wont be the shiny chrome wheel but will be fine for spare. Mercury has the 5yr warranty right now, vs the 6 yr on Yamaha. Another thing is Yamaha you need to bring for a dealer service after 20hrs? Was told by dealer it voids warranty if you don't bring it in. Damn, I have to pay another $200 for service after 20 hours? Merc I'm pretty sure is 100 hrs, could be wrong but that's what I was told. Maybe I was just getting pushed towards Nitro by dealer. Time will tell if I made good decision. I'll post some pics on Nitro board after I pick it up.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobD2369 View Post
    Well after much debate, I went with the Z18 Nitro. Merc 175 Pro XS with dual wheel trailer. The price was very close between the 2 boats. The Skeeter had the Yamaha 150 SHO on it. Tried to get dealer to come down on the Skeeter, but not enough. Dealer wanted $1800 to add the dual console on the Skeeter. The Nitro I can order the dual console and install and take off pretty easily. The Skeeter I could get the dual wheel trailer, but had to order a boat 10 weeks they said. The Nitro is a little bit bigger boat, more front deck space, and for me the bigger 40 gallon vs 26 gallon gas tank was a plus. Big lakes like Murray and Santee I can make a long run if I choose and not have to worry if I'm going to make it back! There were a few things I wasn't happy with, but your not going to get everything I guess. Like Clif said, no spare tire, and no graph on the front. However Nitro giving $750 Bass Pro gift card and $200 merchandise purchase (shirts hats and stuff). With the $750 gift card going to get a decent graph for front. I can pick up spare tire fairly cheap, wont be the shiny chrome wheel but will be fine for spare. Mercury has the 5yr warranty right now, vs the 6 yr on Yamaha. Another thing is Yamaha you need to bring for a dealer service after 20hrs? Was told by dealer it voids warranty if you don't bring it in. Damn, I have to pay another $200 for service after 20 hours? Merc I'm pretty sure is 100 hrs, could be wrong but that's what I was told. Maybe I was just getting pushed towards Nitro by dealer. Time will tell if I made good decision. I'll post some pics on Nitro board after I pick it up.
    Congratulations on your new boat!
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha SHO 250

13. Member
    Go break that bad boy in!!