Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Fishing rods and sponsorship

This conversation came up at work the other day so what’s your thoughts?

I realize that sponsorship or money plays a big part in professional fishing. If G Loomis NRX rods are truly the lightest most sensitive rods known to man or money can buy. Why aren’t more professional anglers using them. If my profession depended on the equipment I used I’d want the best. I’d spare no expense even if I wasn’t sponsored by them. If they truly are the best I’d want every edge I could get. I mean if a company gives me free rods and $10,000.00 per year yet I can’t feel fish that I can with a NRX would it really be worth the risk? I get $10,000.00 but potentially lose $50,000.00 or more per year in winnings due to not feeling bites that you can feel with the NRX would it be worth it?
    Allison XB21 2+2 with Mercury 300R

2. Member
    Bird in the hand

3. Member
    You have a guaranteed payout as opposed to a chance at a payout. Very easy choice.

Both Chris and Cory Johnston were using Shimano Metaniums and NRX rods at the St John's last week. Close to $1g per combo.

Maybe that tells you how much of an advantage you get at that price point over other brand's products.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

I don’t think it matters as much to most of them what equipment they use. They seem to catch fish an whatever they use although I have wondered why if a pro has input on their own signature rods why some are as top heavy and not well balanced as they are.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcbass View Post
    Both Chris and Cory Johnston were using Shimano Metaniums and NRX rods at the St John's last week. Close to $1g per combo.
    Yet they didn't win it. When dealing with human beings each persons perception of what makes a winning tool like a rod will be entirely different person to person. One man's diamond is another mans lump of coal. In professional sports, the most important factor is getting sponsors and doing a good job of marketing that product. Basically as was said it is money in hand.

8. Member
    NRX rods aren't the lightest

9. Member
    Money. And only money

also g loomos issnt the olnly good rod out there

favorite fishing is paying big money for all the guys to use and promote their stuff. I couldn’t tel u anything about them except they had a big touring bus.

10. Member
    If you watch close when they go up north where drop shooting or other stuff where sensitivity are crucial some guys will use other equipment. Most of the time every rod brand makes a good enough rod to do whatever you need.

11. Member
    And Rick Clunn used BPS rods and reels and won !

12. Member
    I also think some people have enough money that they don't want what other people can afford. I used to use rods in the $300 range and then I bought a carrot stick and found it every bit as sensitive. Now I won't spend more than $230 or so and never more than $170 on rods for moving baits. A guy in my club made real good $$$ and used top quality gear but couldn't cast for &%$#. Top level gear Gear didn't do him that much good.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinningrod View Post
    And Rick Clunn used BPS rods and reels and won !
    and a 30 year old worm

14. Member
    Brent Chapman won AOY using skeet rods and reels that people hate. These guys can win a zebco

15. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Let's ask Avery...

Who controls John Gill?

16. Member
    IMO fishing rods are the ONLY physical item that some pros give up a little bit of an advantage over their peers by sticking to a sponsors rod lineup. With that being said all of them would still slay them with an ugly stick,

I think many overthink it. How many more fish does a 300 rod allow u to catch over BPS carbonlite?
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Haze View Post
    and a 30 year old worm
    And a rusty hook...

I love NRX Rods, I own a few. But honestly carbonlites are not bad rods for the sale price. And to Clunn that’s 72, a carbon lite rod is prolly 50 times better than all his old rods that he won his 15 or so other Bassmaster titles years ago. Think about it.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    I think many overthink it. How many more fish does a 300 rod allow u to catch over BPS carbonlite?

Fish #1) "First time spawning?
    Fish #2) 'Yeah, could You tell? My older brother never said that I'd work up an appetite like this?
    Fish #1) "Yeah, no kidding.. I'm waiting for some high priced lures right now, I wouldn't want to fall prey to some John Morris gear... Shiners are now okay because they're $1/copy.."
    Fish #2) "Great, bon appetite.."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast